Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Senior User

oldcoupe42 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford_Six, I replaced the Drag link (Twice ,1st one was too short), but where is the adjustment on the it? It looks like a solid rod with swivel ends.

Chet
Old 07-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
Some you increase or decrease the bends to adjust. It's a really poor system, but it's not a car either. If you are ambitious, you could cut out a chunk, thread the ends, and put in a turnbuckle. You will have to thread one end with a left-hand die though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport
but i can't tell you where i am, i don't want the nice men in the white suits and hug me jackets finding me
Old 07-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Posting Guru

86bigred is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i had this problem on my tractor and dads john deere mower.the front walking beam or axle would move back and forth .tightening the walking beam solved the problem.when i turned the steering wheel the walking beam would move forward before the wheels would turn.turn the other way,the walking beam was all the way back and tires would turn immediately.
68 pontiac paresenne 305 turbo 400
77 dodge d200 camper conversion
77 f250 4x4 351m c6 new project
Old 07-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Posting Guru

GlennFordx4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86bigred View Post
i had this problem on my tractor and dads john deere mower.the front walking beam or axle would move back and forth .tightening the walking beam solved the problem.when i turned the steering wheel the walking beam would move forward before the wheels would turn.turn the other way,the walking beam was all the way back and tires would turn immediately.
Sears,Ayp tractors have this problem also and some have stops that break off or come loose,another problem they have is the frames crack where the plate for the front axle meets the frame,check around your frame at the inside of each spindle and see if it is cracked. I have seen some so bad that the only thing holding the frame together is the center bolt of the axle. I do know that when they are new the turning radius is close to the same.

86 F150 302 efi aod with shift kit slamming stereo two tone blue and rust
93 EB Bronco 5.8 Clean,Low miles,Shift Kit, Second owner. My baby
04 jeep liberty wife's car
Old 07-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Senior User

weadjust is starting off with a positive reputation.
I talked to a lawnmower repair guy and he said 90% of the time steering problems on a craftsman lawnmower is the steering shaft support. Its a plastic part that keeps the steering wheel shaft in correct contact with the sector gear. He said he keeps them in stock at all times. The cost of the part was $6 bucks and change. Link to part #160395.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/sea...ormat=searchdb
Old 08-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Posting Guru

GlennFordx4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weadjust View Post
I talked to a lawnmower repair guy and he said 90% of the time steering problems on a craftsman lawnmower is the steering shaft support. Its a plastic part that keeps the steering wheel shaft in correct contact with the sector gear. He said he keeps them in stock at all times. The cost of the part was $6 bucks and change. Link to part #160395.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/sea...ormat=searchdb
I stock them to,but when they go your steering wheel usually skips when you try and make a sharp turn.

86 F150 302 efi aod with shift kit slamming stereo two tone blue and rust
93 EB Bronco 5.8 Clean,Low miles,Shift Kit, Second owner. My baby
04 jeep liberty wife's car
Old 05-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Senior User

oldcoupe42 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Been a while since opening this and I've been just making wide right turns, but due to excessive wheel bearing slot that my Dad pointed out Im going to throw a set of Flange bearings at it. Will post my results later this weekend.

Chet
Old 05-14-2012, 09:19 PM