1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

caution for NC truckers going to TN

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:19 AM
thomc
More Turbo
Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts
caution for NC truckers going to TN

In NC a lot of truckers and streetrodders have a tag on thier vehicles from the year of manufacture of the vehicle. This is legal as long as you have a "current" tag in the vehicle. A local rodder from here in NC recently went to a rodrun in Pigeon Forge and got a citation that cost him $180.00 . When he pointed out that it was legal in NC he was told "This ain't North Carolina".

Old 06-25-2009, 11:48 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
That's crazy. States have reciprocal agreements to accept a legal registration from another state as valid for non-residents. Otherwise, a vehicle from here (NC) with only a rear license plate (we only have a rear plate) would be subject to being cited while traveling in a state that uses two plates. If his plate was legal in NC it should not have been cited in TN. Sounds to me like he ran across some redneck sheriff that splits the fines with the magistrate or however it works in TN, or just has a hard** for rodders, or there is more to this story like he was running open pipes, squealing tires or gave the cop a hard time. If it was me I would have fought it or simply ignored it.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:21 PM
C-700
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That agreement belween states is backed up by our right to travel from state to state. Other states can not inpose any rules or laws to restrict that. Here in Arizona we license our big rigs as antigue and do not have to pay weight or fuel charges. We do not have to stop at weight stations or any truck check point. No log books. That has to be honored by all states when we are traveling. Most police are not up to date on that as well as all the other state laws. So we are advised to keep a copy in our trucks.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:44 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we here are supposed to have the ability to do the same , that is run plates from the year of manufacture on it as long as we keep the current tags in the vehicle . haven't really seriously tried it yet as i and a few others have had issues with some law enforcement folk who as ax put it have a hard-- for hot rodders . yet late model tuners run around creating havoc and not a citation . i have told this many times but i have been pulled over in bessie by an officer and asked why i had this peice of sh-- on the road ............. don't drive her hard or fast , and i'd be willing to bet most of ours hot rods are in far better shape than most new cars . it's hard to figure 'em out . and before anyone gives me any stuff for picking on 'em i'll remind you i was only one step away from joining the county force here so .................. i seen several late models here running around with personal plates with nicknames or such on them and no kind of legal front plate no problems for them . last time i drove the 53 i got pulled over by another one as he couldn't see my plate sticker , hmmm lets see itis mounted dead center of the rear bumper , has a light on it and the sticker is in the right upper corner in plain view........ i can imagine the grief for having 53 plates on it wandering around .............