Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 PM
New User

30287f250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
rear axle vent tube

I bought an 87 F250 last night and when I came home from work today I found a good size puddle near the drivers side rear wheel. I looked at it seems that a hose that is not connected to anything, but has a plug on the end of it split open near the fitting on the rear axle. This hose connects into the rear end where the brake lines do but the other end is just plugged. Is this the vent tube and should it be plugged or leaking any kind of fluid. The tube is about 6" long and is split open right near where it plugs in the rear end. What should I do with this as far as fixing it? Any help is appreciated. thanks
Old 06-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Junior User

IreallyLikeFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey this hose just vents air from the rear axle. the end is plugged so mud doesnt get in it and clog it. If you notice, its not completely plugged, air can still get through.

Mine did the same thing. Just get a new piece of hose or cut it back to where its not split and reattach it. I put a hose clamp on mine so it wouldnt split again.

I dunno about the puddle though. Was it gear oil or brake fluid?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:19 AM
New User

30287f250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It appears to be gear oil from the rear, is it normal for it to be going through the vent tube like that. I just bought the truck and havent pulled the rear diff. cover off yet to look at its condition but I drove it an hour home on the highway and didnt feel any problems or anything out of the ordinary. It was a good amount that came out of the tube.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Post Fiend

subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
Do not recall seeing any plug in the end of any, it clips on up on the frame pointing to the rear. Maybe a bug made his home in the end.
The rear end needs to be vented or the seals can go bad and start leaking.
If the split is low enough or the hose is not attached then yes oil can come out of the hose.
Also check the oil level in the rear end to see if it is too full or low.
77 F250 351M-2V NP 435/4 Speed 4X4
subford@gmail.com
Bill K, Kansas Chapter
Old 06-25-2009, 09:10 AM
<---Dog is my co-pilot

ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
Do not recall seeing any plug in the end of any, it clips on up on the frame pointing to the rear.
My '87 has a little check valve or breather on the end of the hose.
I agree with everything else. Replace the hose and check the fluid level.
I used a cow hitch of .040" safety wire to hold it onto the hollow junction block bolt.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/donjamer/FTE%20Pics/blumax500-1-1.jpgFTE Fraternity of Blue Max
Old 06-25-2009, 09:10 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
2004, axle, block, brake, connected, differential, end, f150, ford, hoses, rear, replace, truck, tube, vent