1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How can you tell if your water pump is going out???

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:22 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if anyone mentioned but make sure the engine if off when you check the bearings on the pump

Old 06-25-2009, 04:45 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MTDewX
Great falls huh, Me too
Yep sure am. You'll have to give me a shout!

Old 06-25-2009, 04:53 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by farmdad
The only time that coolant will be drawn from the coolant tank is when the engine is cooling and a vacuum is being built up in the radiator. This sucks coolant from the tank into the radiator to maintain the level in the rad. If you are loosing coolant from the tank while driving, you have a leak somewhere other than the water pump. Good luck with the diagnosis. Sometimes they can be a pain.
You can say that again. That's one of the biggest problems is it's not like you can be under there watching it while driving!!

Originally Posted by mudmaker
It may be leaking from your thermostat housing. When I put my new housing on last fall I broke one of my bolts. Went ahead and ran it until it leaked. That was a couple of weeks ago. It never leaked onto the ground and you actually could not see any direct leak, but I smelled it when driving one day and then noticed a loss of coolant. If I hadn't known the source I would have been scratching my head quite a bit on this one. Put a new pump on and got new bolts for the housing and all it good.
I haven't checked the bolts on the housing yet. Maybe they've worked loose or something and need to be retightened. And since it only seems to be leaking when the motor is warmed up and running, it makes me wonder.

Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Ryan- crawl underneath with a flashlight- the weep hole is right under the shaft of the water pump on the bottom side- I'll bet thats your leak.
You might not want to run that Dieselsite stat with your big oil- Joey @ TE recommends against it to help keep oil temps down.
Originally Posted by PwerStroke99
Ryan, like everyone says, sounds like it is leaking from the weep hole. Do as Chase said and u will see. The ebst place to get a water pump would be northernautoparts.com. get the factory Airtex from them. U can get it shipped to your house for right at $90. Thats where i bought mine, and my water pump had the same symptoms as u describe.
So I'm assuming that if it's leaking from the weephole, I'll see a bead of coolant coming off of it? I'd crawl under there after it's fully warmed up and been driven for a while, but even afterwards and it's sitting/idling I don't seem to have any drips. Do you recommend to do it while it's running or just after it has been and then shut down?

Shoot Chase... You reminded me of something I was going to ask Brian about the 203* t-stat and their big oil system. I guess I'll just have to write that one down for the next call. I'm going to run it for now because big oil will be alittle further off than I originally thought. Got to get a different turbo first.

Thanks for the heads up Ken. I'll check them out if I need one.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:56 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Ryan- my pumped leaked at some point in the past, but stopped for whatever reason and hasn't done so again in a few months. I've been keeping a close eye on coolant levels and when it starts to drop again, I'll get a new pump coming.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 AM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Ok, so I crawled under it last weekend and never did find the weep hole. Looked all over but must have not know what the hell to look for. I did pull the belt off to check for play in the water pump/fan pulley. There is a very tiny amount but it still spins very free. The idler pulley spins free as well. But the tensioner pulleys spun but felt they they had a brake on them (wouldn't spin as free as I recall them doing).

I'm going to price out an AirTex water pump and maybe a new tensioner pulley and hopefully that will take care of things.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:41 AM
Gabby87
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford expedition 1999

Went outside on Saturday notice a puddle and leaking smelled it and it smell like coolant it leak for two days look under the truck and it seem like it was coming for the pulley area stop leaking for a few days but when I turnt the truck on to move it it started leaking again. I was told it was my water pump

Old 12-31-2017, 11:44 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,444 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabby87
Went outside on Saturday notice a puddle and leaking smelled it and it smell like coolant it leak for two days look under the truck and it seem like it was coming for the pulley area stop leaking for a few days but when I turnt the truck on to move it it started leaking again. I was told it was my water pump
Whoever told you this was probably right.