1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

U-Joint Replacement Time

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:37 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U-Joint Replacement Time

Although I made great progress in getting the truck back on the road yesterday, yet another problem cropped up. As I was reinstalling the front driveshaft to the transfer case, one of the dust boots on the u-joint fell off and the needle bearings scattered everywhere!

Upon further inspection, it looks like both u-joints on the front driveshaft and both on the rear are originals, so I figure with close to 150K on the truck, it's about due for new ones throughout the driveline. I'm just surprised they've lasted this long without dying or showing signs of wear.

I know the right thing to do would be to completely pull both driveshafts and install new u-joints right now, but I'm tired of having the truck sitting in the garage; I want to get it out and drive it!

What would you guys do? Lay up the truck an extra day or two, dropping the driveshafts and locating all new u-joints, or just reinstall all the old needle bearings, grease it up, and drive it until I can locate all the parts?

Any recommendations one what u-joints to buy? Should I go with greasable or sealed units? The OEM ones are sealed.

I've never replaced u-joints before, but after reading up on it, it doesn't look too hard, especially if you buy or rent the right c-clamp looking tool from Autozone. I guess I could just drop both driveshafts today and take them into a trans shop tomorrow and have it done while I'm at work and not have to worry it. Only problem is I don't know if the rear driveshaft will fit in the trunk of my car!

I swear this is the project that will never end, but I know I'm getting close...

Old 06-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I like Spicer u-joints.

Pull both drive shafts, you can change them in about 15 mins if you have a press. If you don't have a press, use a vice.
it's best to press them in instead of hammer them.

The front Drive shafts are really easy, I suggest buying new u-bolts for them as well. It's worth the trouble.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
I can explain it easier over the phone if you want me to explain it to you. but a good socket and some patience will get them in easier.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:13 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
I like Spicer u-joints.
Thanks Talyn! Do any parts store chains carry these? We have the usual chains around here; Autozone, Napa, Schuck's, and CarQuest, and a couple regional ones; Baxter's and Knecht's.

I'm leaning towards getting everything else on the truck buttoned up today, dropping the driveshafts, and having a trans shop install new joints while I'm at work tomorrow. That way it'll be a 30 minute job to throw them back in tomorrow night and I'll finally be done with this project.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
You'll have to call around. they are quality parts. Spicer is affiliated with Dana, so you know its good stuff. I was 110% satisfied with my spicer parts.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
In all honesty though, you should do it yourself so you know how just in case you ever have one go out on you on the road. At that point you'll have to do the hammer and socket method, but you'll at least know how to do it. =)

Just make sure you face the zerks the right way on the front drive shaft, otherwise you cannot get them greased.
I do not care for sealed ones very much, the seals just rot and they die.