Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 AM
Freshman User

ticker is starting off with a positive reputation.
You really can do it yourself, it's easy. But if your brother is going to do it
let him know it's easier with the hood off, but before he takes it off, have him drill a hole between the two bolts on each hinge and insert a dowel pin, that way when he puts the hood back on he doesn't have to re align the hood.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:54 PM
New User

rs92stockie is starting off with a positive reputation.
same type of problem

Hello, I have the same type of problem, a squeeking noise. I have changed the Idler and tensionner pully, the alternator, waterpump and belt has also been changed. The problem persist with all those pieces changed through the years (it's making this noise when it rains and/or the humidity is high)

Now today, I found this thread with the CPS and synchro. I tried to put some oil after removing the sensor and it did not change the sound. Now, the noise clearly become from the front of the motor, so i'm asking myself if the Synchroniser would make the noise at the front if it is at the back of the motor... Could someone help ? I did a short video, I'll try posting it.

Here's the video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU9gGVktbaE
Old 09-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Junior User

rangerte is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's CLEARLY IN the Back of your Engine! At least on My 3.0V6! My brothers been a mechanic for 30 some years.Before I had the hood opened,Engine running,He diagnosed it! "Camshaft Synchronizer" ,He said! I ordered one from Rockautosoupply.com $37! Much better price then the "Bib Boy franchises! I dropped a few oil drops from a "Zoom Spout" oil bottle,we used in Motors(electric A/C,etc.)using my usual5W20 Synthetic Blend Motorcraft Ol.I HOPE I'm buying time? Because,this Is Not the resolution of the problem.At best,A Very,Very,temporary "noise reduction ,ONLY!Gotta replace it NOW!Back by the Bell Housing! NOT on the front.I didn't read your whole post,so what Engine you got?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:22 PM
New User

I have a Ranger 2002 3,0L V6... the noise seems to come from the shaft for the radiator fan. Did you hear the video ?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Postmaster

g_k50 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Take the fan off and see if it makes the noise, that will eliminate the fan shaft as the source.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:53 PM
New User

I forgot to say that the fan clutch have been changed too, so it eliminate this piece too... even if I remove the fan, the noise from de shaft would be there ?
Old 10-02-2009, 05:30 AM
Freshman User

killit is starting off with a positive reputation.
thats a serious squeak. hard to say from a video but that doesn't sound like belt noise to me, and if its definitely from the front i'd say one of your pulley's or shaft bearings wore out.. Just from the noise, it sounds very "metallic" to me thru the computer... is that the way it sounds to you? like its making some very fine metal shavings dry metal on metal contact?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:49 PM
New User

yeah, and as you say, it sounds metallic... There's no more belt/pulley to change... Is there a bearing for the shaft of the fan that I can change ? As I said, the sound only appear when there's a lot of humidity in air and when it rains.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 PM
New User

cwcrossan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford ranger 3.0 engine chirping,squeeking noise

2003 Ranger Edge, 3.0L Flex Fuel, 117,200 miles. Noise sounded like belt pulley. Changed belt and tensioner, noise persisted. Red this thread, and placed stethoscope directly on camshaft position sensor to pinpoint noise. Removed sensor cap and sprayed WD-40 down into the sensor. The noise went away. Researched replacement part, Dorman 689-117, Summit Racing $39.95. Great job to Yahoo web search and Ford Truck Enthusiasts. Lesson learned: Have a problem, look here first. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:49 AM
New User

rogerdas is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have 08 Ranger and replaced belts alternator, harmonic balancer, and still faint squeak, don't know if because used after market parts or what, truck seems fine or is there a better way to check camshaft sycn
Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 AM
New User

cwcrossan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Squeaking Noise From Ranger 3.0 engine

See my thread on camshaft positioning sensor, also know as camshaft synchronizer. Sits at the back top deck of the engine, and acts like a distributor by pointing to a sensor to tell computer which cylinder to fire. Determined by the position of the camshaft. The gear and shaft that is driven by the camshaft becomes worn and begins to squeak. To verify the part is defective can listen with stethoscope or just remove cap/wire connector and squirt some WD40 down to lubricate the gear. The noise will go away for awhile, but later comes back. I eventually replaced the camshaft positioning sensor Dorman's 689-117, no problems since.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:17 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdas View Post
I have 08 Ranger and replaced belts alternator, harmonic balancer, and still faint squeak, don't know if because used after market parts or what, truck seems fine or is there a better way to check camshaft sycn
Welcome to FTE.

Would be helpful to know which end of the engine compartment the squeak is coming from & which engine your Ranger has. If its the 3.0L Vulcan, then your correct to put the cam sync assy on your under hood squeak suspect list if the noise is coming from atop the passenger side, firewall end of the engine compartment. Apply your stethoscope to the cam sync to determine if its causing the noise. Its located atop the engine, passenger side firewall area, back where the distributor was located years ago.

If you don't have a stethoscope, we can fashion one from a wooden dowel, like a broom handle, or a long screwdriver, or use a length of tubing, or hose, one end on the suspect, the other end to our ear. If its not the cam sync, listen to other rotating bearing parts to see if you can locate the squeak area. Idler & belt tensioner pulleys, along with the water pump bearing, are common problem parts in front/radiator end of the engine compartment squeaks. Make sure the serp belt tension is within the molded in tension range marks on its casting & that all serp belt driven accessories pulleys are in good edge to edge alignment & a straight edge can be used to check that.

As has been said, if its the cam sync assy causing the squeak, best to replace it without delay, as that engines oil pump is driven off it & if the part fails by seizing, its gears will strip & the oil pump will stop doing its thing, so we'll soon loose an engine. Motorcraft parts are recommended, as there have been pre-mature failure reports on some after market parts.

Carefully note, or mark the cam sync/sensor assy position Before removing, as the new one Must go in & align Exactly the same way, or fuel injector timing will be off.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 06-18-2014, 09:12 AM
Post Fiend

Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
If you suspect a CMP synchronizer problem, this thread is a little long, but worth the time to read through:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/20...placement.html
Old 06-18-2014, 09:12 AM