Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to get into gear when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:03 AM
vlasveld
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to get into gear when stopped

Hello everyone, im new here! My name is Ryan and i recently picked up a 1994 f150 with an inline 6

Im just trying to figure out how to fix the problem with shifting in my truck.

When im at a stop the truck is really hard to shift from neutral to first gear... it wont go in unless i really force it. If i shift to 4th then out into first it makes it much easier.

All around the truck doesnt seem to be shifting like it should. Fluid leves are ok and fluid is new.

Any suggestions??? im wondering if it might be the clutch but i really dont know!

Thanks so much for the help these forums look awesome!

ps i should also add its easy to get into first when rolling its just when im stopped at a light its almost like something is blocking it... its bad enough that its definetly not normal
Ryan

Old 06-19-2009, 03:24 AM
vlasveld
Freshman User
i guess i forgot to mention its a manual 5 speed

Old 06-19-2009, 06:58 AM
blakem_85
Senior User
Sounds like a clutch problem i'm not too familiar with the light-duty setups though. How does the clutch feel/act when taking off from a stop?

Old 06-19-2009, 07:01 AM
vlasveld
Freshman User
Originally Posted by blakem_85
Sounds like a clutch problem i'm not too familiar with the light-duty setups though. How does the clutch feel/act when taking off from a stop?
Feels a little jumpy, i try to let it out a smooth as possible but its tough. Thanks for the response

Old 06-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
what do you mean the fluid is new? Also have a look under the dash and check the pedal hinge and rod for worn bushes.
Is it hard to get into reverse as well as first?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:00 AM
vlasveld
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Lazy K
what do you mean the fluid is new? Also have a look under the dash and check the pedal hinge and rod for worn bushes.
Is it hard to get into reverse as well as first?

Not too sure about reverse, i will test today and see. What does it mean if it is?

Thanks

Old 06-19-2009, 09:24 AM
vlasveld
Freshman User
Ok i just did a little more testing. It happens even when the truck is not running. Reverse is fine and shifts easy.

The problem is bad when going into first gear and all gears dont shift real smoothly

Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vlasveld
Ok i just did a little more testing. It happens even when the truck is not running. Reverse is fine and shifts easy.

The problem is bad when going into first gear and all gears dont shift real smoothly

I'm sorry I cannot be of help but I wanted to welcome you to FTE! That 300 won't win any races but it is a realiable motor. I hope your problem is resolved shortly!

-Bill

Ps. Send me a PM if you ever want to start messing with your exhaust. I have sound clips on youtube and I've spent way too much money getting the right sound from my 300.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:56 AM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try letting out the clutch when in neutral, then the second after that put the clutch in and try putting it into first.

i had this problem with my 94 sometimes, except it didnt want to go in reverse. You might have some linkage or bushing related issues though, have you checked the hydraulic clutch fluid reservoir? its near the brake master cyl.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:58 PM
vlasveld
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 70torino429
try letting out the clutch when in neutral, then the second after that put the clutch in and try putting it into first.

i had this problem with my 94 sometimes, except it didnt want to go in reverse. You might have some linkage or bushing related issues though, have you checked the hydraulic clutch fluid reservoir? its near the brake master cyl.

Ok more info! I just noticed its with every gear, i would have to force it in, except for 4th, maybe 5th. Then i can go to first or the other low gears. Also when im just driving normal i feel a slight grind when shifting into any gear its not a grind you can hear.. but you can feel it on the shifter ****.

Letting the clutch out and back in and shifting right away didnt make any difference, also i checked the reservoir and its full! Thanks for the response!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:20 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
You said the fluid level is fine - what about the transmission fluid level? Did you pull out the fill plug and make sure the fluid is right at the hole?

Old 06-19-2009, 06:00 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
mine does basically the same thing.I just down shift and make sure im in 1st before the truck stops. When your having problems getting into gear do you hear a clunk inside the tranny if you try to go back and forth between 1st and 2nd?
If thats the case its slack in the tapered bearings inside the tranny and it just needs to be reshimmed.
When the main shaft get a bit of slack the tapered bearings let the shaft assymbly fall a bit and it drags along the pilot and you just have to hold the clutch in and hold the shifter in 1st lightly untill it slips in.
Mines doing it and I just havent had the time to pull it to take up the slack.
sorry for the long post.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:32 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Where is the clutch engagement point in reference to the floor??

Does the clutch engage almost at the end of the clutch stoke when releasing the clutch pedal or at the beginning of releasing the clutch -near the floor??

Old 06-19-2009, 07:36 PM
vlasveld
Freshman User
I guess the clutch engages a few inches off of the floor..

When im trying to put it in first and it wont go i do hear a clunk like its hitting something and blocking it.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:08 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by vlasveld
I guess the clutch engages a few inches off of the floor..

When im trying to put it in first and it wont go i do hear a clunk like its hitting something and blocking it.
Is there any difference when trying to get it into first -if the engine is running or not running?? With the engine off-is it easier to get the tranny into first??

Quick Reply: Hard to get into gear when stopped