Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: liftnw8z

Anyone from the Coal Region?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone from the Coal Region?

Whats up, i forgot we have regional chapers here. Anyone from the Coal Region (Mount Carmel, Shamokin, Ashland, Pottsville, etc)? im from Mount Carmel, in the heart of the Coal Region about 5 miles from Centralia.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:16 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts
Been a long time since I've been up that way...a couple years anyhow. Paid a visit to Pottsville to hang out with some friends back in 06. Of course had to make a stop at the brewery...lol. I'm out in the southwest corner, another little bit of coal country but not quite the same...

Old 06-18-2009, 09:17 PM
PatsPOS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like Bill said, around here the mines are primarily bituminous coal, where you guys to the east are mostly anthracite. So I reckon the term "coal region" differs depending on which side of the Susquehanna you live on.

Pat

Old 06-21-2009, 12:45 AM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought *all* of PA was the 'coal region'.

If not, we got some jokers over here that stripped off the vegetation and made great ATV hills!

Old 06-21-2009, 12:55 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts
Coal has definately been king all thru the state, just depends on what type of coal being mined...anthracite (eastern) or bituminous (western). I did a lot of work with the coal industry in the southwest corner of the state for a year or so...and it's alive and well there for sure. Throw in some of the locals, and it's still around. Just not like it was when I was a kid.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 PM
tbenks
Elder User
Originally Posted by optikal illushun
Whats up, i forgot we have regional chapers here. Anyone from the Coal Region (Mount Carmel, Shamokin, Ashland, Pottsville, etc)? im from Mount Carmel, in the heart of the Coal Region about 5 miles from Centralia.
yeah we got family up in new philla/ and a house right outside of pottsville (middleport) i go visit up there a few times a year, chill out or whatever ha, my mum owns some land that is being mined, i cant wait to one day bring my truck up there, endless miles of old mining roads, its gonna be a blast

Old 02-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just found this thread. Like Quaddriver said I thought all of PA was the coal region. Both of my grandfathers along with several great uncles were miners. Others in the family repaired mine machinery or hauled coal. If you'd like to see how deep mining is done you might want to check out TourEd Mine in Tarentum. This is a mined out section of the Freeport coal seam located near the Allegheny River. The tour takes you about a mile back underground. No pimple faced high school kids here. The tour guides are experienced miners who have the proper training to take folks underground. The mine is inspected daily as any working mine would be. There is also a museum on site.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:43 PM
tbenks
Elder User
Originally Posted by Redcat Diesel
I just found this thread. Like Quaddriver said I thought all of PA was the coal region. Both of my grandfathers along with several great uncles were miners. Others in the family repaired mine machinery or hauled coal. If you'd like to see how deep mining is done you might want to check out TourEd Mine in Tarentum. This is a mined out section of the Freeport coal seam located near the Allegheny River. The tour takes you about a mile back underground. No pimple faced high school kids here. The tour guides are experienced miners who have the proper training to take folks underground. The mine is inspected daily as any working mine would be. There is also a museum on site.
yeah theres actually quite a few of those mine tours ive been on, really interesting, wouldnt mind the job, but, if you've ever seen someone with blacklung it might change your mind, a few of my family members ended up dying from that

Old 02-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Black lung was a major contributing factor in my maternal grandfathers death. Others suffered from it to some extent. I've repaired countless coal trucks but never considered working underground.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:09 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm up in skyukil county frequently, i have friends in deturksville. i will be up there next weekend to go to rausch creek

Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 PM
tbenks
Elder User
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
i'm up in skyukil county frequently, i have friends in deturksville. i will be up there next weekend to go to rausch creek
my house in pa is about 40 mins away from rausch creek, never been to that place, is it any good?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:35 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have a blast everytime i go

Old 02-14-2010, 05:55 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
All I know is I burn anthracite coal for heat, much cheaper than oil or electric.