Today's stupidest question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 06:17 PM
rotorhead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, you'd think this would be a good thing...I've got a 94 F150 with the Mazda 5spd, and now the 97 F250 PSD with the ZF 5spd. Here's what I'm wondering: When I clutch the F150, I'm met with nice soft little resistance from the clutch pedal spring. When I clutch the F250 the veins stand out in my neck and forehead, my left leg fatigues and gets all trembly, I cuss and strain. Okay, Okay, so maybe it's not that bad. But is there a reason why the ZF 5spd would require a clutch spring that's so stiff? It actually doesn't bother me a bit, at least not now that my left leg has bulked up to the point that it's straining the seams on my britches legs () but my wife truly just cannot drive the truck. You'd think that would be a good thing 'cause it keeps her out of my truck, but recently we were on a trip and I'd done my drive time and was on the passenger side taking a nap when we hit Atlanta. Atlanta traffic sucks as many of you know. She woke me to say that she was honestly scared she was not going to be able to control the truck any more because we'd been stuck in traffic for 45 minutes, and her leg was exhausted. I had to get out and do the chinese fire drill with her and switch places! Ruined my nap. So, anybody who can shed some light on why the two clutches would have such drastically different springs please let me know!!!

Thanks,

Rotorhead, the guy with the bulky left leg!!!

Old 02-07-2002, 08:54 PM
kmoose
New User

not sure about the 94 clutch system, but my 88 has a hydraulic system. if it is not a hydraulic problem, the input shaft of the tranny could be gummed up. there is a factory tsb about this on my 88. hope this helps....

kmoose

Old 02-08-2002, 12:42 PM
Waxy
Postmaster

I could be way off base, but here's my guess. I'm basing this on dirt bikes, so it's a stretch, but the increased spring pressure required to keep the clutch plates from slipping in your much more heavy duty ZF causes increased clutch pedal pressure.

Take it for what it's worth.

Waxy

Old 02-08-2002, 05:24 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-Feb-02 AT 06:27 PM (EST)]>Rotorhead, the guy with the bulky left leg!!!

he.he. That's funny, rotorhead!

Ok for what it's worth...I had a standard of a different brand (Muncie 4spd) in a truck of mine. It too had the bulky left leg. In fact it was so bad, I used end up walking in circles cause my right leg couldn't keep up.... I crawled under my truck and determined that it was a mechanical actuation. I proceeded to lube (with penetrating grease) every "joint" I could see (and some I couldn't but I was having fun...) Got in and almost put my foot through the floor! Worth a look if you haven't already.

Also on edit: If I remember correctly...it was a few beers ago, oops I mean, YEARS ago...I removed the return spring INSIDE the truck also because the spring on the outside was enough to return the pedal. I think it was that truck.

Old 02-09-2002, 05:22 AM
rotorhead
Senior User

Thanks, guys. I wondered if it was NECESSARY to have it that stiff, or if Ford engineers were just massochists (not even sure I spelled that right!! Must mean I'm not one, huh??) Anyway, Monsta, I've considered taking the interior spring out myself, but didn't want to until I was sure it didn't HAVE to be that way! Of course, the way it is, my wife can't borrow my truck. That does have its advantages!

You crack me up too, Dude!!

rotorhead

Old 02-09-2002, 01:52 PM
carp1
Senior User