1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

A4WD in 97 EB expy

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 07:46 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A4WD in 97 EB expy

I have a 97 EB Expy which was purchased used. I tried the A4wd a few weeks ago and all it did was flash on and off. I have read on XOG site that someone else had the same problem. 4HI and 4LOW work fine but A4WD flashes and doesn't recognize the shift. The other post I read on XOG site said that they reset 4WD system and did road test. He has used it several times since then, and has had no problems. Does anyone in here know how to reset the 4WD system? Is it dealer only procedure? It has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty so I can go that route if I have to, but I don't particularly care for dealership service. I do all my own work on everything I own. If anyone else knows how to do this procedure, I would greatly appreciate it! TIA!

Old 12-02-2002, 09:18 AM
Tad_11
New User
A4WD in 97 EB expy

I have a 98 with the same problem, I let it go last year and just used the 4 HI when I needed it, but now this year, it is shifting very slowly into 4 HI, sometimes two to three miles. If you here of anything to fix this problem, please post it.

Old 12-02-2002, 06:46 PM
cewhite
New User
A4WD in 97 EB expy

When they say they reset the 4WD, I imagine they reset the GEM. This is the electronics module that controls the 4WD system. You can do this by pulling the fuse to the circuit that powers the GEM. I believe this is fuse #15 in the under dash fuse box. This may fix your problem, but I suspect it is more likely that you have a bad hall effect speed sensor (or sensors - there is a front sensor and a rear sensor) in the transfer case. This item is not to difficult to replace.

You should join the Expedition Owners Group mailing list and ask the question to that list. See http://g33ks.org/XOG/index2.html .

Regards,

Ed White

Old 12-02-2002, 08:04 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
A4WD in 97 EB expy

Won't resetting the computer and clearing all codes do the same as resetting just the GEM? Already tried that? No diffrence in A4WD

Old 12-05-2002, 10:19 PM
blownbronco
Senior User
A4WD in 97 EB expy

There is a fuse that runs just the a4wd system. Check that fuse!! That is most likely your problem!:-X12

Old 12-10-2002, 10:42 PM
MrGone
New User
A4WD in 97 EB expy

i have never liked A4WD nor the whole electric switch idea.
I believe that this is one disappointment that ford has done. Not only can you screw your self off-road if mud or water gets in the wrong places, but their is no Neutral in the transfer case.
along with this the newer expys do not have the 2 hi function.
I am trying to find some wiring diagrams to help him create a 2wd function on his, but its been a somewhat unsuccessful task.

all in all, when you have a human try to predict a computer, you get bad results. the same with when you have AI try to predict nature, you inturn get bad or unpure results.

MrGone

Old 12-29-2002, 11:44 AM
blownbronco
Senior User
A4WD in 97 EB expy

Old 01-04-2003, 05:22 AM
tealboy1
Senior User
A4WD in 97 EB expy

I don't know if my problem is the same, but i am having trouble with the 4x4 clicking back and forth from 4H to AWD. When i put it in 4H, the dash light (and 4x4 system) flicks back and forth and doesn't really hold in one or the other. I don't know what is causing or what to do. If I put it in AWD or 4L, it works fine. The problem is only when switched to 4H.

Any ideas?

Old 01-10-2003, 09:03 PM
eb97
New User
Post A4WD in 97 EB expy

I just purchased a 97 Expedition and I am experiencing a combination of the above problems. When I place the truck in a4wd the light on the dash just flashes and I don't have 4wd. When I place it in 4h I get a clicking sound and the lights on the dash flash between a4wd and 4h. help?

Old 01-16-2003, 01:24 PM
millersnva1
New User
A4WD in 97 EB expy

I had a similar problem recently. My 4wd wasn't working at all. I took it to the dealer and they traced it to a vacuum leak. I assume the solenoid trips a valve and engine vacuum performs the shift in the transfer case. Once that was repaired, everything works fine. I'd try to fix it myself if you can - my fix cost $185.00

Old 02-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Rtpjunior
Senior User
A4WD in 97 EB expy

Pull the dash switch, and open it up. You will see gobs of grease and dirty contcts. Clean it up, and re-lube with white lithium grease. It worked like a charm on my 97

Old 02-05-2003, 08:06 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
A4WD in 97 EB expy

Thanks for the info! Was yours giving you problems in all modes of 4 wheel drive, or just one? Mine only has a problem with A4WD. I'll try this, did you have to take the dash apart? Or can you get to the switch from the back side? Any info will be helpfull! Thanks again.

Old 02-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Rtpjunior
Senior User
A4WD in 97 EB expy

just pull the trim panel that surronds the radio. The switch is screwed to it. It is easily opened with a small screwdriver or a pick. When you open it up, be careful not to lose the tiny spring and BB inside. The amount of grease inside is crazy. Clean it all out, clean the contacts up good, and use a small amount of the white lithium grease. It should work good. Mine would switch between A4WD and 4HI on its own. You can feel the play inside the switch btwn the 2 settings, and that ut really doesn't have a positive "click" into position.........................

Old 11-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Kevdadi
Junior User
I live in the Great Lakes State of Michigan, and today is the first snow I've ever had on my 97 Expy.

My question is on a SH*&Y day like this, what do I use for the 4x4 functions in driving down the snowy slushy roads? Do I put the truck into 4hi? AWD? And just what exactly does each of those do anyways? I realize that 4hi would be locking the four wheels together, but what the hell does AWD do in terms of me benefitting driving down the road?

I realize this is a rookie question, but let's face it; I AM A ROOKIE WHEN IT COMES TO A 4X4 TRUCK! Thanks for your answers, and have a blessed Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-2004, 05:03 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
I would personally use 4 HI. THe problem with A4WD (automatic 4 Wheel drive) is as follows...... the computer monitors which wheel is slipping and transfers power to the other ones. This will rusult in a banging situation where the computer is locking in the fronts and then unlocking the fronts very rapidly and making a lot of noise in the process. I always used 4WD hi in conditions like you mentioned and never had a problem. All 4 wheels are engaged and don't unlock. 4LO is for extreme pulling or max traction at low speeds. You won't get much over 35 MPH and the engine will be screaming to do that. Just keep in mind that your Expy is gonna handle differently in the snow in 4HI. 4WD doesn't mean that your indestructable. It simply means that your not gonna get stuck when trying to take off from a stop. You still need to stop this 2 1/2 ton truck so take it slow and use common sense. When cornering your truck is gonna act differently also. don't try to gas it around corners.... you'll end up in the other lane! let the front wheels pull you through the corner slowly. They will have a tendancy to want to go straight ahead even with the wheel turned. Take it slow and use your head and you'll love the capability of this vehicle.

Quick Reply: A4WD in 97 EB expy