A4LD, here we go again

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Tedybear
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A4LD, here we go again

Another fun day it seems.

Driving back from Utica home (about 60 miles) we noted blue smoke...figured engine problems. Got back into the area and checked the oil--still good? Went to leave the pizza shop we stopped off at for dinner...no drive? So I put 'er back into park, back into drive--and it went right into gear. Got home with no problems---checked the transmission fluid--not even on the dippystick. Next day added fluid to bring it up, and it "foamed" the fluid...and slipped in first gear.

So I'm thinking "Great, blew a front seal..and toasted the transmission". Limped it over to the family shop--and it went flawless!?!?! after putting it from park into drive again. Dropped the pan, just the usual crud build up in the bottom. Filter looked great. Pulled the torque converter? Severe score mark on the 'snout'--

So we purchased a rebuilt converter figuring the old was had to be out of balance (we did have a 'worable' sound for a while) I remembered reading about pilot bushing in the flexplate taking out the front seal and damaging the front bushing. Sure enough? The pilot 'bearing' is egg-shaped.

So here's the plan, considering the transmission we are working with does show signs of internal carnage from being driven low on fluid (very very lucky in that respect).

Have a new pump to bellhousing seal on the way. Due to the severe score on the snout of the torque converter, it's a safe bet the bushing has been damaged.

We have the orginal A4LD still in the garage awaiting a rebuild. It went south due to valve body issues and slippage. I'm planning in pulling the pump/bell housing, cleaning it...and inspecting it. Planning on installing that bellhousing/pump onto the other transmission. That should deal with the bushing damage (as the bushing sits in the bell housing) (yeah..I hope the pump is in good shape)

New spacer for the end of the crankshaft is also on the way (Dealership item...actually only $32 bucks).

So we are going to swap bell housings....use the new torque converter...replace the spacer with the pilot bushing...and hope everything works.

S-

Old 06-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Tedybear
Elder User
sidebar note: forgot a word. We dropped the pan and did NOT see anything to suggest internal carnage from the ordeal.

S-

Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
You may also want to get the pump gasket and rubber oring and the small rubber o rings for the pump bolts. The gasket will most likely tear from heat and age and the o rings for the bolts will most likely tear also. You could use silicone on the bolts if you want too, if in a pinch.

If you pull the pump apart to replace the bushing you will have to use a line up tool to line the pump body up with the bell housing, if you don't it will make noise and eventually fail.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Tedybear
Elder User
Originally Posted by jk080
You may also want to get the pump gasket and rubber oring and the small rubber o rings for the pump bolts. The gasket will most likely tear from heat and age and the o rings for the bolts will most likely tear also. You could use silicone on the bolts if you want too, if in a pinch.

If you pull the pump apart to replace the bushing you will have to use a line up tool to line the pump body up with the bell housing, if you don't it will make noise and eventually fail.
Napa already has the gasket and o-ring on the way for the pump. Judging by the atsg manual, it's appears the pump will come off with the bell housing. If so? That part of it won't be affected. Which should be a good thing, because the manual states when pulling the pump apart? It'll need new bolts. The old A4LD didn't fail due to pump issues, the last owner when he replaced the unit kinked the cooler lines. Result was severe overheat and that's what killed 'er.

If I can get new bolts from the Ford Dealer for the pump? I'll go ahead and disassemble and spec it out. However if they can't get the bolts? I'll probably wind up hosing the passageways out with brake cleaner and compressed air to dry it out. (and hope for the best) The bushing in the old bell housing was fine--nice and quiet. I'm sure if I just replaced the pilot guide behind the crank...and re-used the bell housing on the good transmission? It wouldn't work for long. The old torque converter had a severe score mark where it was rubbing into the bushing. While the manual states min. touching is ok? I'm pretty sure a 1/2" wide score mark kinda goes beyond 'ok'. And the last thing I want is to drop this thing again. LOL. So I'm not planning on touching those bushings...I had to be creative enough just to get the pump seal installed and stake it in place. (can't afford over $250 for the special 'tools'...and I'm sure the alignment tool would be also pretty spendy)

S-

Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 AM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I have build many A4LDS and have never used new bolts.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Tedybear
Elder User
At least the dealership called today, the new torque converter/crankshaft pilot spacer thingie is now in. Oddly enough? The salvage yard I deal with quoted me about 40-50 if they had it in stock. The new part from ford? $32.

Really blew me away on that one.

S-

edit: Their parts guide doesn't show any 'o rings' used on any of the bolts, just what is listed as a washer. I'm hopeful any such o-rings can be nipped up at the local Napa store.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Tedybear
Elder User
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....not a fun day.

First if I happen to locate the idiot that rebuilt the transmission that was in the truck when I picked it up? He's getting a kick in the head.

Figured no problem--I know the replacement went blech due to a busted up spacer at the crank--and the TC wobble nailed the front bushing. And over in the corner of the garage? The old A4LD the last owner rebuilt when it was sold to me. (this terdpile is a teacher at a local boces center for auto mechanics) Oh yeah...he did a great job of rebuilding it.

HE NEVER TIGHTENED THE PUMP BOLTS!!!!

I could slide the pump all around the old bell housing! So I unscrewed the pump (not even finger tight....all at least a full turn loose) And the bushing in the one I wanted to reuse? Totally destroyed...

Ok....Two bell housings...Two still functional pumps...(How that old transmisson made any pressure is beyond me).. And two chewed bushings.

So the updated plan....

Napa can get me the bushings. I'm ordering in a few. (pretty low cost, thankfully)

Ebay had a listed (I already purchased it LOL) a tool set from a closed ford dealership that works with C3 and A4LD transmissions..the set includes the pump alignment tool!. (also about $30 bucks with shipping, so not to bad)

As much as I'm not a huge fan of Harbor Freight? I'm getting a bushing/bearing removal/installing kit for about $10 bucks tomorrow. So I can remove and install the bushings.

At least that spacer is installed behind the flexplate now. The old one? Pretty badly chewed up.

I'm going off and pout in my corner LOL.

S-

Old 06-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Tedybear
Elder User
Well..that was a whole lotta nothing.

Got home to find an email. The seller of the C3/A4LD rebuild tool set? Sold the set a while ago and re-listed it by mistake. Yeah sure full refund---But now I need to brown nose the local transmission shops and see if any of them can center that damn pump for me. The current set he does have (he offered it to me at a discount) is missing the vital tools needed.

It's gonna be one of those weeks.

S-

Old 06-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Tedybear
Elder User
Well..that was a whole lotta nothing.

Got home to find an email. The seller of the C3/A4LD rebuild tool set? Sold the set a while ago and re-listed it by mistake. Yeah sure full refund---But now I need to brown nose the local transmission shops and see if any of them can center that damn pump for me. The current set he does have (he offered it to me at a discount) is missing the vital tools needed.

It's gonna be one of those weeks.

S-