Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with tapered blocks and vibrations

Old 06-15-2009, 08:22 AM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Those with tapered blocks and vibrations

Me again. I am still having the driveline vibrations in my Ex. I have made several posts and really appreciate the help. My vibration is especially bad when just barely touching the gas at highway speeds. I have read every post on this (and there are many). I am at the point my next step is to play with pinion angle. Although, I have downplayed it as my Ex did it totally stock and with 3.5 tapered blocks. My question is mainly for those that have had the same issue with these blocks. Just need a direction on what degree shim fixed your issue. So far I have done the following.
Retubed and balanced driveshaft
Changed transfer case output bearing
Rebuilt rearend with all new bearings
U-Joints
Indexed driveshaft in all locations on pinion flange
My pinion angle is about 4 degrees at transfer case and 2 degrees neg at pinion so I am assuming a 2 degree shim to tilt the pinion down would be right. Am I correct? I am sorry to beat a dead horse but depend on your advice on what to do next. Without saying names, a FTE member sent me a private email with an excerpt from the workshop manual that helped a lot in narrowing down problems. The only thing left is pinion angle from all of the testing I have done. That and/or a CV shaft.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:23 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I'm very interested in what people say about this.

My '01 SD has had a vibration at take-off since brand-new. I remember there was a TSB out that said they had put the blocks in backwards at the factory on a bunch of Supercabs (which is what mine is).

My blocks are tapered towards the front (pinion up) so there is almost no angle between the driveshaft and the pinion, but there is an angle at the transfer case.

I suspect that if I were to reverse the blocks, it would increase the angle at the pinion and fix the issue.

Anyway, subscribed