1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 Auto (shift on fly) not engaging?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:41 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lulo
I'm back, so I got the job done today but only one lockout hub is holding vacuum even if I switch them around i'm only holding vacuum on the passenger side. My question is, the other seals in the hub, are they hard to change?. I was trying to find a thread with the parts number and how to do it but I couldn't find one, if there is one can you guys send me a link.
Thank you everybody for all the help.
Here ya go sir. The procedure for the needle bearing lube will get you to all the seals. Also a good time to take care of the bearings, and if you look back to guzzles main page u will find a few other maint items you may want to look at. ie:calipers/pins, and the lube for you actual 4x4 hubs to keep the new ones all lubed up and functional.
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 02-14-2010, 11:57 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to suggest Guzzles bearing repack link, but I think lulo is asking for the complete seal kit for a rebuild? I'm not sure now. Maybe he'll be ok with replacing only the yellow oring.

Rick...

Originally Posted by wallz
Here ya go sir. The procedure for the needle bearing lube will get you to all the seals. Also a good time to take care of the bearings, and if you look back to guzzles main page u will find a few other maint items you may want to look at. ie:calipers/pins, and the lube for you actual 4x4 hubs to keep the new ones all lubed up and functional.
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _Rick_
I was going to suggest Guzzles bearing repack link, but I think lulo is asking for the complete seal kit for a rebuild? I'm not sure now. Maybe he'll be ok with replacing only the yellow oring.

Rick...
www.partsguyed.com

Old 02-15-2010, 10:09 AM
lulo
New User
Thank you guys, I will order the parts today, this forum is awesome I had some power steering noise and found some information that some people put power steering fluid instead of atf, so I flush the system yesterday and the problem is gone, thanks again for all the help, hopefully I will learn a lot here and help someone on the future.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
tried to rep ya Rick but rep police have me on a time out!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:44 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ed,

I'm happy to support your site Ed. I may have only ordered a small amount of items through you, but it was a smooth transaction and the parts got to me reasonably quick up here in Canaduh.

More than 50% of my jobs come from referrals so I understand just how important they are. I'm happy to refer anyone or business that has shown me they are worthy of my patronage.

Thanks for your gratitude RE: reps attempt. Not necessary but appreciated.

Rick...

Originally Posted by y2kfordparts
tried to rep ya Rick but rep police have me on a time out!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:50 AM
lulo
New User
Hello guys, I was wondering if doing the guzzle's needle bearing maintenance I can get to the knuckle o-ring and dust seal, because on his list of part needed they are not there but he talks about them on the procedure. How hard are they to change, do I need any special tool, I was looking at partsguyed.com and his kit comes with all the seals. So I was thinking about replcing them since I have the esof leak, any info will be greatly appriciated.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
The knuckle o-ring is easy, it's a yellow o-ring that sits in a groove around the hub assembly.

The dust seal is a different story. You will need to pull the whole hub assembly out and pull the axle out too to be able to slide the the dust seal on. They are prone to failure and separate on most of our rigs. Unless you are doing something else, it is not worth pulling all of that off just to put a new dust seal on. Save it for when you do and then slap the new one on. The front axle tubes are nothing more than a protective tube around the axle to prevent foreign object damage. There is a a seal created when the axle passes through the differential housing and meshes with the gearset.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:58 AM
lulo
New User
Will this dust seal affect my esof?, if not I will just replace the other ones.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:54 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lulo
Will this dust seal affect my esof?, if not I will just replace the other ones.
The dust seal in the axle tube won't affect your ESOF but the large lip seal in the knuckle will. The axle tube/housing has 2 seals; one next to the differential and a dust seal (not very important) near the u-joints,

Old 02-28-2010, 05:44 PM
lulo
New User
Well I did the maintence on the needle bearding today and replaced the yellow seal, the wheel that was not holding vacuum before still like that and the one that was working before I can't get the ring clip that holds the two metal washers and the hex washer to go in, I tried to pry the axle but it didn't work. Do you guys have any idea what could be?. I guess I have to take to a mechanic. I'm about to pull my hair of , if I can get that ring in there I guess I will just lock the hubs manually for now on.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:14 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Make shure the big lip seal is seated all the way and have someone pry the axle out from the back. I wouldn't drive it without the snap ring on.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:15 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
If you must drive it temporarly remove 1 of the 3 washers and get the snap ring on!

Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 PM
HBW
New User
I just finished repairing my esof today. Thanks to all the great advice on this forum it went well. I started the same as you did with doing the hub first with no results. I needed to replace the knuckle seal. I found good advice looking in the ball joint replacement search. I also replaced the axle seal at the same time. I purchased the seals at NAPA Knuckle seal part number 28600, and axle seal # 21918. I had to use a small block of wood against the axle tube and pry on the u-joint to get the snap ring on. Thank you to all the poster on this site!

Old 03-21-2010, 07:08 PM
lulo
New User
Well I pulled the axle out and i change the dust seal and the big oil seal, I got everything back together and the esof still not working. I made the tool to drive the seal from galvanized pipe like the one on the ball joint thread and I think I damaged the seal during installation, it looked okay but now I'm not holding vacuum on the side that was holding before. Anyways thank you to everybody for the help.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Auto (shift on fly) not engaging?