1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

LED Instrument Cluster Light Swap...anyone got a picture?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:15 PM
frdavid
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Instrument Cluster Light Swap...anyone got a picture?

These guys:

HiPo Parts Garage - High Performance Auto Racing Parts

sell LED lights to replace the stock 194s in the instrument cluster. I was thinking about swapping out the stock lamps with LEDs but wanted to see if anyone here at FTE has used these guy's LEDs or anything similar.

Does anyone have a picture?

Thanks.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:33 PM
smithwoods
Junior User
My, how timely. They have a picture on eBay that shows them good. I just put in the blue FG ones and they bother my eyes ,they make the gauges look misty so I am going to the green leds. green will match the rest of the lights in the dash anyway. easy to do with wicked good directions. I will cut you a good deal on a set of blues used about 10 minuets. They are brighter then stock but that's not saying much

Old 06-13-2009, 08:49 PM
ShamelessMT
Elder User
I've got LEDs in my instrument panel too. I have plain white ones that each have only one LED (instead of the 5 per socket offered in your link) and they work just fine. I also spent a lot less than that set is advertised for. I replaced all five bulbs in the cluster (1 each side for gauges, 2 blinkers, 1 high-beam) for about $15.

If you look at their site for prices (or run down to your auto parts store - they all have the bulbs), you can put it together cheaper than they sell it as a set. I really don't believe their claim that the LEDs they send out in the set are specifically designed for our dash. You should just buy (2) 5 LED bulbs (for the gauges - my single LED bulbs could stand to be a little brighter) and (3) 1 LED bulbs for the other lights.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 06-14-2009, 06:58 PM
m j
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they are way too bright.
the dimmer doesnt function on the LED

Old 06-14-2009, 07:12 PM
ShamelessMT
Elder User
My dimmer functions. You have to have a couple incandescent bulbs in the loop for the dimmer to work though. Either that or a couple extra gauges like I have that draw some voltage, allowing the dimmer to still work.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:13 PM
smithwoods
Junior User
The ones I got are the 1 led not the 5 led so they are only a little brighter and yes no dimming. blue may have been original but I like the green look better

Old 06-14-2009, 08:19 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
The reason some run into trouble with the dimmer and the LED setup is because LEDs have what is called a threshold voltage, which is usually around 0.7 volts. That is to say, the voltage across the diode has to reach a certain point before the diode will turn on at all. If the voltage across the diode is less than this threshold, the diode will not turn on.

If 12 volts is applied directly to a bare LED (meaning there is no series resistor), it will blow almost immediately. As such, it is necessary to place a resistor in series with the LED, which limits the current through the LED. The dimmer function can still work, but it depends very heavily on the size of the series resistor used with each LED. Because the luminescence of an LED is proportional to the current through it when the diode is forward-biased (meaning the voltage across it is above the threshold), the dimmer still can be made to work.

Unfortunately, the size of the resistor is mandated by the limits of the LED itself. As such, there may not always be a happy medium with resistor sizes. I suspect this to be a problem in some commercially available setups.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Mudd460
Senior User
Originally Posted by fmc400
The reason some run into trouble with the dimmer and the LED setup is because LEDs have what is called a threshold voltage, which is usually around 0.7 volts. That is to say, the voltage across the diode has to reach a certain point before the diode will turn on at all. If the voltage across the diode is less than this threshold, the diode will not turn on.

If 12 volts is applied directly to a bare LED (meaning there is no series resistor), it will blow almost immediately. As such, it is necessary to place a resistor in series with the LED, which limits the current through the LED. The dimmer function can still work, but it depends very heavily on the size of the series resistor used with each LED. Because the luminescence of an LED is proportional to the current through it when the diode is forward-biased (meaning the voltage across it is above the threshold), the dimmer still can be made to work.

Unfortunately, the size of the resistor is mandated by the limits of the LED itself. As such, there may not always be a happy medium with resistor sizes. I suspect this to be a problem in some commercially available setups.

That's a pretty good explanation! You must have worked with a few diods in your day. Have you ever seen a diod short? I have seen a diode short twice that I can recall. What do you call a person who gos and gets themselves a soda and does not bring one back for you?

A Zeener!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:56 PM
76f350spercamprspeal
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
After an 2+ Hours of searching...
I finally found the thread....

------------------------------------------------------
Sources:
HiPo Parts Garage - High Performance Auto Racing Parts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-lights-3.html
They might have pictures of the other color bulbs soon...

I am interested in the RED LED Lights.
Hope I helped!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:00 PM
shameless
Elder User
is there any way to replace all the dash bulbs with led's, and splice a resistor in the harness to make the dimmer work? I'm hooked, I'd love to do this too. my dash is way too dark at night. also, I like the way the green looks, but I wonder what red, or amber would look like instead.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:09 PM
garlindethfury
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im sold I like the blue cause it will match my CD Deck...

Old 06-14-2009, 09:12 PM
shameless
Elder User
I'm curious what the difference in the top blue, and the bottom blue is. Less led's on the bulb, or just turned down on the dimmer?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:14 PM
76f350spercamprspeal
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by shameless
I'm curious what the difference in the top blue, and the bottom blue is. Less led's on the bulb, or just turned down on the dimmer?
The Top two are pictures are from a member here on FTE.
The top two pictures aren't that great of quality.
The Bottom two are from the website that sells them.
You can click the links,I put them in the post to help ya guys out.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:30 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by shameless
is there any way to replace all the dash bulbs with led's, and splice a resistor in the harness to make the dimmer work? I'm hooked, I'd love to do this too. my dash is way too dark at night. also, I like the way the green looks, but I wonder what red, or amber would look like instead.
I believe it would be a little more involved.

First, take the turn signal light circuit. Changing the turn signal indicator bulbs would change the load placed on the flasher. The blinking rate of a thermal flasher is proportional to the current flowing through it, which is determined by the load on the flasher. That means the turn signals might blink too fast, too slow, or not at all. In that case, an electronic flasher might be necessary. I know that electronic flashers are often necessary with LED tail light conversions. Basically any modification to the lighting system within the turn signals causes issues with flashing speed. That's why you see people with really fast turn signals; it's usually a sign that one of the bulbs is out (which means less of a load on the flasher, which means more current, which means the flasher opens and closes more quickly). This is just speculation; it might not even be a problem. It's just something to keep in mind.

As far as the dash illumination itself would go, there is one circuit that powers this stuff. If you installed one resistor upstream of all the LEDs, it'd be possible; but the single resistor would dissipate more heat. The necessary power rating would depend on the current draw of all of the LEDs throughout the range of operation.

The moral of the story is, when it comes to electronics, pretty much anything is possible. Finding out exactly what you need is a matter of studying the specification of the LEDs you'd like to use. I think this is a pretty reasonable project that would just take some studying of factory wiring diagrams. As far as getting LEDs that fit behind the gauges, that'd be another challenge. I'm curious as to how this installation kit works. It's not clear to me if the resistor and LED is contained within a 194-bulb foot print, or if the kit requires you to make modifications to your gauge cluster.

I think the conversion looks pretty slick, I wouldn't mind having blue dash lights. It'd match my CD player.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:19 AM
TheBlueMule
Senior User
i did this swap a few months ago. I love it, but i have one problem since i've replaced the bulbs. The one on the right side of the dash showing the temp and volt meter, will randomly go on and off. It will go out for a mile or two, then come back on for a mile, then go out for a little more...etc. Does anyone know why it does that? I checked the connections on the back and don't see any tears in the circut paper, or lose bulbs. any ideas? I did however go with the blue. It matched my aftermarket radio, and i love them when they are all lit.

TheBlueMule

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Instrument Cluster Light Swap...anyone got a picture?