Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2009, 04:07 PM
New User

Jamey and Brian is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 92 explorer needs help- octane pin?

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and in need of serious help. I have a 92 explorer in which i love dearly. She has 350,000 miles on her original engine and had a tranny put in her in 96. This truck has been nothing short of amazing, only has had minor electrical problems.
Today, while driving it, it began to act weird. The engine kept reving up and down and the oil light came on (changed the oil two days ago). Then it shut off.
I replaced the fuel filter, but that didn't help.
Rab the computer and it said the octane pin was open.
What is this?? I can't find any info online at all!
Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Postmaster

mrshorty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
KOEO 341 usually indicates an open in the octane adjust pin circuit (pin 44 at the PCM according to my wiring diagram). I believe the shorting bar is located under the hood, passenger side, near the self-test connector. Some service procedures will remove the bar, and there should be a sticker indicating if this has been done according to procedure. If there's a loose connection in the circuit, it would cause your timing to be a little erratic.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 AM
New User

not the octane pin, at a loss...

Thank you mrshorty!
We found the adjust pin and it had been removed, so we tried to jump it and the truck still wouldn't turn on.
We then checked the spark plugs and they were fine. The truck tries to start every now and then, so we've ruled out starter/alternator.
It also seems to be getting fuel.
The truck simply wont start at this point, therefor we can't run a running check on the computer.
Since we are at a complete loss, we are having it towed to a mechanic today. This will be a first, we have done all work ever needed to it. This is actually the first time I have ever taken any car to a mechanic, my dad worked as a mechanic for years and is a mechinist at the railroad. Anyway, I am realy anxious, so wish us luck and thanks again!
Old 06-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Senior User

tommyleea is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe timing chain/belt?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Posting Guru

marragtop is starting off with a positive reputation.
Are you getting spark at the plugs? Also, you can pull codes with the engine off.
'95 Explorer XLT 4x4
If it don't = 16 (4x4), it ain't worth driving...
Old 06-15-2009, 03:23 PM
New User

bad gas

Thanks for all your suggestions. The truck is still at the mechanics and they weren't able to get to it today.
In the meantime.. On the news last night they announced that there has been an outbreak of bad gas in the area, and guess what, the tank had just been filled. My dad thought it was a fuel problem, hence the changing of the fuel filter.
Anyway the mechanics wont let me come up there and drain the gas and refuel my truck in their parking lot and since it wont start, I'm kinda stuck. So lame!!
Thanks again for all of your help, I'll keep ya'll posted.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:23 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
1994, 2001, 341, 40l, 92, adjust, adjustment, adjustservice, explorer, ford, octane, open, pin, ranger, service, v6