1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

? on disasembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:39 AM
safef3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? on disasembly

Hey, I am back with more questions. Everyone may remember me a few weeks back with the f3 on the galaxy hacked up frame.

I got the front end off and was wanting some directions on taking the wires loose..Should I pay special attention to how it is or am I going to need new stuff anyway? It is a real hack job like the rest of it...wires run every where and just taped together.

Let me know what yall think. thanks

Old 06-12-2009, 11:46 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
What I usually do with messed up wiring is I fold a piece of duct tape over the wire and label it with a ball point pen: what it's attached to on both ends...then cut the messed up section out of the middle, so to speak. And leave enough wire to get the color for keeping it original looking and correct with diagrams. It's a matter of matching up the labeled ends when it comes time to redo the wiring. That's a nutshell explanation. Referring to a wiring diagram, one can see if the wiring was done right or not without having to keep a spaghetti pile of wires. Just my .02

Old 06-12-2009, 12:53 PM
safef3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, i have 'tape labeled' everything so far, but with it having the different motor and the galaxy frame nothing seems to look like it was really ever on the truck to begin with.....So I was thinking there might be a wireing system I could purchase or something to just redo it.....but that may be more trouble.

I guess I need to see what the orginal wiring set up looks like on a truck complete and compare..thanks man

Old 06-12-2009, 01:38 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
EZ-wiring seems the aftermarket wiring kit of choice on here.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you have a digitial camera, take a bunch of pictures first from every angle of every little thing. Probably never need it but in the off chance you do its a REAL pain finding out how to make it right again. Best just to play it safe, I was amazed at the odd questions I needed answers to when I put my car back together and I did it all in one shot. lol it just doesn't get remembered.

Old 05-06-2023, 12:19 PM
ajsunnyB
Tuned
Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
My 1955 F-100 I think what happened is a lady owned the truck. It was 6 volt. But apparently she to make it 12 volt. So she installed a 12 volt battery. positive ground to negitive ground. That made a big mess of burned wires that were all black electrical tape togeather. I think she hired a mechanic to fix the F100 and properly rewire it. I don’t think he knew a lot about the positive ground and negative ground that ford engineers basically designed. She spent a lot of money on this truck, but gave up and decided to sell it. I took a Commerical bus to get the truck. Because I was told it was driveable. After about three hours the lighting system totally failed. It was an 11 hour drive home. I stopped at a service station to refuel. And realized the light switch was burned up. Being a 6 volt switch. I know this is an old post but I just got the truck and lighting system repaired. I replaced all the burned up wiring and installed a fuse block.AJ