Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2002, 03:29 PM
Postmaster

airharley is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
9 inch?

I have a 64 F-100 that I need to identify the rear end. I know I need to replace all of the seals and possibly bearings. The front and axles ends are leaking. I have found the following #'s on it.

8F19 DIF 42

DIF 865 C5AW 4668A or 4688A (the 3rd digit is hard to read)

First set are on the carrier housing and the second set are on the pinion bearing housing. Also the fill hole is on the driver side and it has 2 dimples in the back of the main body.

Any ideas?
Author of the disc brake article for 57-64 F-100's
Old 03-12-2002, 11:36 AM
Postmaster

9 inch?

Does anyone have the axle chart handy? I can pull the code off of the data plate if this helps. Anyone?
Old 03-13-2002, 07:44 AM
Postmaster

9 inch?

Well the axle code is "12" if anyone can identify this for me. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:46 PM
Postmaster

kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.
9 inch?

Well Mark, I'll give you what I know... and that ain't much on the '72 and earlier models...

First step is to go to the Ford dealer and give them these numbers you have. The parts department can usually cross reference a lot of the material you have and start you on the right track. See if they have the old service manual for the truck, their copy is fine, all you need to do is verify your numbers. If the dealer can't help try the library or a reputable mechanics shop. My books only go as far as 1965.

The 351W must have been a modification because from what I can recall the 351 Windsor was put in trucks until 1975. Is is then possible that the rear was a modification too? I recall someone posted that the build codes for Ford would indicate that C5 in the C5AW would be a casting date of 1975. This would mean that the particular rear would have been manufactured after 1975 .

I hope that helps, but verify that with another source. I'd hate to be the guy that led you a stray and you order the wrong parts based on that.

-Kerry

Old 03-13-2002, 08:06 PM
Postmaster

kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.kspilkinton has a very good reputation on FTE.
9 inch?

Old 11-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Senior User

tjdad62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kspilkinton View Post
Well Mark, I'll give you what I know... and that ain't much on the '72 and earlier models...

First step is to go to the Ford dealer and give them these numbers you have. The parts department can usually cross reference a lot of the material you have and start you on the right track. See if they have the old service manual for the truck, their copy is fine, all you need to do is verify your numbers. If the dealer can't help try the library or a reputable mechanics shop. My books only go as far as 1965.

The 351W must have been a modification because from what I can recall the 351 Windsor was put in trucks until 1975. Is is then possible that the rear was a modification too? I recall someone posted that the build codes for Ford would indicate that C5 in the C5AW would be a casting date of 1975. This would mean that the particular rear would have been manufactured after 1975 .

I hope that helps, but verify that with another source. I'd hate to be the guy that led you a stray and you order the wrong parts based on that.

-Kerry
I used to work at a Ford dealership and can tell you that C5AW means it was manufactured in 1965. The C denotes the decade = 60s, B denotes 50s, D denotes 70s and E denotes 80s. The third letter often applied to the model of Ford and the last letter would indicate new or rebuilt part. For example EOTZ-8200-A could denote a 1980 Ford Pickup radiator. The T denotes truck and the Z means new. If it was an R it would normally mean rebuilt.
This may or may not help.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:03 PM