Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Junior User

BroncoDually is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford 428 Cobra Jet Engine Block & Cylinder Heads

Can anybody tell me where I can a Ford 428 Cobra Jet Engine Block & Cylinder Heads,And can anybody tell me why the Ford 428 Cobra Jet is hard to find,Is due to the popularity of the engine make so hard to find to use,Also how far can I Overbore & Stroke the Ford 428 Cobra Jet (5____ cu. in.),Safely w/o having an Aftermarket Aluminum Engine Block of the Ford 428 Cobra Jet Engine Block
Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Senior User

Cobra Highboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
If I remember right ford stopped making the 428 CJ in 1970 and they are very popoular. They were most common in the mach 1 mustang and the torino. People who have them don't want to get rid of them because they are scarce. I have a 428 super cobra jet block. I had to research the numbers and markings to verify it. Mine was bored 60 over and the #1 cylinder cracked at the water jacket. I now have to have new cylinders pressed in it and start from square 1. So you do not want to bore more that 30 thousanths over or you run the risk of a cracked cylinder at the water jacket. You can also use a standard 428 block and order cobra jet heads from ford and you can build it pretty much the same. I actually took a 390 and bored it 50 thousanths over and put a 428 crank and rods in it and made a 410 stroker. The 410 is putting out about 400 horse power and I'm happy with it.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Senior User

obey_your_master is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ebay is your best and easiest bet to find a block and heads. CJ blocks usually can go another .060" overbore, but get it sonic checked before going that far. I believe you can use a scat crank that has a 4.25" stroke and the clearances are still fine. They do make a 4.35" stroke FE crank, but I remember hearing that either the piston skirts or the cam lobes get in the way of things ( correct me if I'm wrong fellas ). Also, people are hunting for blocks and heads that would make their concorse restoration of mustangs, torinos, ect...numbers matching. An alternative would be to find an industrial block and have it sonic checked for thickness. Plus there are alternative head castings that contain the same "CJ like" combustion chamber. Head casting numbers are C6AE-R. There are a couple others, but they have the short intake port whereaa the C6EA-R has the tall intake port. Stick some CJ sized valves in those heads and you'll be money ahead.
If you went with a 4.25" stroke and a bore of .060" (if it would bore out that much), the actual displacement would be 468.811 c.i.: @ .030" bore it would be 462.122 c.i.; @ standard bore it would be 455.480 c.i.
It's where the aftermarket blocks come into play that allows 500+ c.i. of displacement due to massive bore increases and cylinder wall thickness.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Elder User

maxtor is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.maxtor is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a 1970 428SCJ that is out of a 1970 Mustang Mach I that we owned many years ago. It is bored to 4.170 and was sonic tested before I had it bored. It has new cam bearings installed and the scj heads have been fitted with 2.15 intake and 1.66 exhaust valves and are ready to install. I also have new Probe pistons for the build. The crank like the block and heads is the original crank and has been ground and polished and ready to install. The original rods are the LeMans capscrew type and are resized and ready to install. The intake manifold for that engine is a 428 PI aluminum manifold. Also sitting on another engine stand is a 427 Medium Riser Side oiler block, heads, crank, rods, etc. ready to build. I am getting older and probably will not use any of them unless our 434cj breaks. I will not know about that until after the racing season is over. I have run the 428scj for years and it ran and ran without any problems after I replaced the original rocker arm shaft with a JB Bittle unit that is 150% stronger. FE engines are tuff. Unless I have a lean condition with the nitrous for our 434cj engine, I do not foresee a problem for years to come. I ran the 428scj engine from 1970 until 1989 and it never let me down. "except for the rocker arm shaft".
With all this said, I am not wanting to give this engine away, but if the right person with the right price came along, I might let it go.
Someone with a original 1970 Mustang Mach I 428scj car, would probably want this engine, because all the parts are original except the intake.
Anyway, if you find a block to use, just have it sonic tested to make sure how far you can bore it safely.
C5 Corvette, supercharged
Old 06-10-2009, 06:30 AM
FE "Freakin Expensive"

RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.
Well If you want to get a ready to build 428 Iron block..I think I would go thru KC (Keith Craft) and buy one of his...Unless you know someone you can trust...I wouldnt buy another one from a private party that I didnt know !! I have been screwed on 3, 428 blocks in 6 years...and finally gave up...

But now like Lloyd....Before he pass's is going to set me up with one for shipping charges !! LOL...Just Kidding Lloyd !!

There are a few vendors out there that I wouldnt trust..and if you care to email me I'll tell you the ones to stay away from and the few to deal with... But I do know now that I live in Virginia for the last 18 years...This place SUCKS..for trying to find any FE parts..this is all Chebby and Morparts country and all the FE's were sent to the crusher !

Had I known this before I left Southern Cali..after being there for 38 years...I would have went to my FE pick your parts and loaded up before moving back...and saved myself alot of headaches !

Good Luck on your Search ! BTW... If you have a hard time finding a good 428 block..I would just get a Service Block (105) image block and most should go a .060" over bore..But always check first...that'll give you a 4.110" bore..and it would only be a few HP difference than a 428 built with the same parts...JMO
Blue Saphire 70 F250 436"CJ in Progress/Rollerized C6/4:10 Locker
Teal and Silver 96 XLT F150 4X4 302", EAOD, 3:55 Trac-Loc, Lock out Hubs, Daily Driver
Vista Blue 07 Mustang "Pony" 26K on the clock

Old 06-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Junior User

Wink Ford 428 Cobra Jet Engine Block & Cylinder Heads

I got (2) Questions: (1):How close can I get to 500 cu. in. w/o destroying the 428 Engine Block,(2):What is the difference between the 428 Cobra Jet,428 Super Cobra Jet,& 428 Police Interceptor Engines
Old 06-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRuss View Post
There are a few vendors out there that I wouldnt trust..and if you care to email me I'll tell you the ones to stay away from and the few to deal with...
Russ, it's no problem if you want to disclose that information publicly. As long as it's not third-hand information where your friend's mother's nephew's third-removed cousin had a problem with one guy
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 06-10-2009, 11:30 AM
FE "Freakin Expensive"

RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.RapidRuss has a great reputation on FTE.
LOL.. Well Art I appreciate that....But first of all I wanted to find out what kind of money he's wanting to throw at this build...Some guys dont mind shipping parts all over the country and paying for it..and some just do local Builds..So istead of doggin all that I know cut corners...Its just easier if he give me some info...and I can give him some suggestions...But like a Buddy of mine always says..Some people can break and Cannon ball with there bare hands in a sandbox !! LOL..

But you know me ...I could give ***** of what some of the vendors think ..Paid supporters to FTE or Not...I have delt with quite a few over the years...and some just dont care anymore...Times are tuff..and us rodders have to watch our money even closer...and there's plenty of grabbing hands out there that will take us to the cleaners in a heartbeat and Not even blink an eye !

So I think it best that I be emailed or PMed on this one... Obvisously this guy is wanting alot of TQ..If he's wanting close to 500"s out of a 428" block...I havent done the math yet..So I dont know how long of arm he'll have to swing to get close to that...and I really dont think a 428 block can be clearenced Safely for that kind of swing and stay together? Not without Buying a aftermarket Geni, or Pond or Shelby block.. $$$$ LOL..

But i wanted just to get somemore info from him...alot of guys like I did way back when..wanted BIG inch FE...and found out in a heartbeat just what it costs to do one right !

~Russ
Teal and Silver 96 XLT F150 4X4 302", EAOD, 3:55 Trac-Loc, Lock out Hubs, Daily Driver

Old 06-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Junior User

Ford 428 Cobra Jet Engine Block & Cylinder Heads

Hey Russ,Question: What is the difference between the 428 Cobra Jet,428 Super Cobra Jet,& 428 Police Interceptor Engines
Old 06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Elder User

393STROKER is starting off with a positive reputation.
Try- search the entire craigs list .com-. I`ve been piecing together my 428 by 1st buying an old `68 pick-up truck for $200 from a co-worker that he had bored a 390 to 4.130 and put Cobra Jet crank,rods, pistons,heads and intake on.I tore it down and found that the block was cracked. So I bought a 428 from an old racer that came out of a `68 Mercury,it had the CJ block w/extra webbing but no casting codes and after mag testing it too was cracked down the main saddles. He gave me my money back(I made a new friend) and I bought a `66 T-Bird w/428 that magged good and is in the shop now getting prepped for a Keith Craft stroker kit.It`s hard to find a good one.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 PM
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDually View Post
Hey Russ,Question: What is the difference between the 428 Cobra Jet,428 Super Cobra Jet,& 428 Police Interceptor Engines
well the basics were Carbs and cam...The ones that can give you a better run down on them is Glenn (FFR428) and Bill (Numersdummy) as they have the books with all the part numbers and all the diffrent ways they came and in the years..Oh yeah and the rods...

Old 06-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Needsmorecoffee.

FFR428 has a good reputation on FTE.FFR428 has a good reputation on FTE.
Here's a good info site on the CJ and SCJ 428's.

Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry This site will show and tell the differences.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Elder User

maxtor is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.maxtor is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The main difference between the scj and the cj is that the scj has LeMans capscrew rods. They are stronger "heavier" so that is why the extra weight on the crankshaft snout. I have both, and they are durable engines.
C5 Corvette, supercharged
Old 06-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Senior User

TheWarWagon'75 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Beware!!!

I too am putting a 428 in my 75 Ford F250 and this has been a big learning process.I have alot of experience with 390's(I used to build wreckers when I was just a lil pup)but almost no experience with the 428's (they came and went before I was born).I have done many builds in my life and one thing I have learned is that no matter what you are building be it a Harley or a hot rod someone will always be happy to lighten your wallet.Choose where you spend your money wisely!!!You may pay a little more to use a larger reputable shop but,in the long run,you will save a bundle.I am a big believer in the small business an I go out of my way to support them but,times are desperate,these co's are having problems making payroll (no on is buying a date code correct '67 Shelby GT 500)so it is very imperative to do the research and use a shop you can trust. People are so desperate now that they will just take your money and you will never hear from them again (I know I just blew 1000 bucks on brake parts and I'm a working man overhauling my dailydriver)Don't get me wrong,not all shops are bad,but you have to have your ears perked up.
As for looking for a 428 they do command top dollar now as the engine has not been produced for 40 years.A few points to ponder,first casting numbers don't mean s**t!They just tell you the date code when the mold was produced and kind of steer you in the right direction.Look for a sand scratched "A" or "C" on the back of the block(make sure it is not welded,when ford put this letter on it was a piece of string layed on the back of the block so it actually cast into the block,BEWARE OF FORGERIES)Next look for "428" cast into the center freeze out plug hole,on the floor.The heavy webbing on the main supports ( a third rib going toward the main journal) may or may not be a 428 but it is a step in the right direction.there is also the"drill bit test" take a 15/64 drill bit and see if it will fit between the cylinders in the center freeze out plug hole.If it fits,even with some resistance,it's a 390 bored out if it doesn't it's a good sign.Last but not least there is the tell all,the sonic check,keep in mind when you do the sonic check that a true 428 should go .060 over(core shift permitting).Keep in mind that some 390's can be bored to a 428 and then go 60 over but these blocks were rare truck blocks and were cast as 428's.Most fe's were cast as 390's only a few were cast as 428's.On the ouside they are all the same and most parts will interchange.The difference?The O.D. of a 428 or 428 capable block cylinder is much thicker (thats what the "drill bit test" is all about the cylinders are all bored the same center to center).How am I such a wealth of information?Ever hear the expression "Unfortuately good experience is often gained by poor judgement"I am the king of that.I have been ripped off aleady by a guy on ebay(good thig I got all my money back including shipping)who swore up and down that he was selling a 428 when i got the block the #8 cylinder was at .085,just a hair over 1/16 of an inch
and there was still gasket material on the deck(he said it had been machined)!!!
I am building a date code correct 428 police interceptor lower for my truck(it's my thing and thats the way I want it!)along with a crane cam,edelbrock heads and so on.I have spent countless hours reading online and lots of books to figue out what is a true 428 police interceptor(I am also a big history guy)so I hope this will help you out.Any questions feel free to pm me,the info is still fresh in my mind,and I have made most of the mistakes already.Good luck on your build
Old 06-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Post Fiend

Bear 45/70 has a good reputation on FTE.Bear 45/70 has a good reputation on FTE.Bear 45/70 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDually View Post
I got (2) Questions: (1):How close can I get to 500 cu. in. w/o destroying the 428 Engine Block,(2):What is the difference between the 428 Cobra Jet,428 Super Cobra Jet,& 428 Police Interceptor Engines
The PI ran stock 390/428 heads, an aluminum intake, the same cam as the CJ and a 600 CFM carb.

The CJ had the good heads, cam but had the iron intake. It also had improved exhaust manifolds and a 735 CFM carb (a slightly modified 780 with different booster venruris).

The SCJ had beefier rods and an oil cooler.

"Earth has its boundaries, but human stupidity is limitless."
Gustave Flaubert (1821-1880)
Old 06-14-2009, 11:15 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428)

Tags
428, block, building, casting, cobra, cylinders, engine, ford, heads, jet, motor, numbers, parts, sale, scj, super