Sponsored by:

Greasing your main wheel hub bearings. Pics here

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 02:22 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjake0524
So does the bearing have to come off of the truck or can you leave it in place and just pull out the abs sensor and push grease into it. Thanks.
I think you would need an L fitting and then it would be a PITA so you might as well remove the snap ring, the 4 nuts in the back, and pop it off. You need to grease the needles anyway.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:52 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by BIG BOI
Hell, I am about to shell out $531.00 to replace my left side wheel bearings, Last night on I-5 it seized up and almost ran into the lane divider. Had to tow to local shop, since driving the truck was out of the picture..
Didn't the hub give you some indication of trouble before this happened? Something like an occasional ABS light for no apparent reason? An unusual clunk on turns?

Nothing at all?

Pop

Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 PM
BIG BOI
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Didn't the hub give you some indication of trouble before this happened? Something like an occasional ABS light for no apparent reason? An unusual clunk on turns?

Nothing at all?

Pop
Nada , nothing I was trying to see if I missed anything, we were driving through the mountains all day and not a problem, till I got in tacoma

Old 08-22-2009, 08:57 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Now you should grease the right one.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:18 PM
BIG BOI
Senior User
Originally Posted by EXv10
Now you should grease the right one.
Done!! told them to grease,lube, flush, tighten and double check everything.. hate the fact that the wife and I came close to eating a divider or worst taking out another vehicle..We were doing 70+ MPH when the left front locked up.. but on the other hand, my final bill was 401.76, down from 531.00( military discount is the greatest)

Old 08-22-2009, 09:53 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
But did they just grease the needle bearing? You don't want it to happen to the other one.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:02 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by BIG BOI
Done!! told them to grease,lube, flush, tighten and double check everything.. hate the fact that the wife and I came close to eating a divider or worst taking out another vehicle..We were doing 70+ MPH when the left front locked up.. but on the other hand, my final bill was 401.76, down from 531.00( military discount is the greatest)
You may THINK they greased your hub bearings, but unless they are reading this, or something like it, they didn't. Ford considers these bearings non-serviceable, and most everybody else does, too. That's exactly the reason we've addressed this subject here.

Unless you are willing to do your own maintenance, and truly understand what's going on, you're not likely to be getting a really comprehensive job done to your truck.

Just the way it is.

Pop

Old 08-22-2009, 11:13 PM
BIG BOI
Senior User
You may THINK they greased your hub bearings, but unless they are reading this, or something like it, they didn't. Ford considers these bearings non-serviceable, and most everybody else does, too. That's exactly the reason we've addressed this subject here.

Unless you are willing to do your own maintenance, and truly understand what's going on, you're not likely to be getting a really comprehensive job done to your truck. Just the way it is.

Pop
trust me, i am paying close attention to this post, I will do it myself..

Old 08-22-2009, 11:29 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Then you'll have it done right!

I've lived my life with the motto, "If you want something done your way, do it yourself."

It's the only way I can be sure it gets done right.

Beside a few on this forum, I trust NO ONE to twist wrenches on my truck.

If you're under my truck with anything besides a grease gun, and you don't have a torque wrench, you'd better just slide on out.....

And, if you DO have a grease gun, you better have a good understanding of lubrication technology!

Pop

Old 08-23-2009, 07:43 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've lived my life with the motto, "If you want something done your way, do it yourself."

It's the only way I can be sure it gets done right.

Pop
Now that's the truth, heck it's even hard for me to find a good alignment shop most of the clowns just to do a tow and go, that's why I always ask for a print out before and after, I wish for an alignment rack but it never shows up.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:36 PM
bigjake0524
Senior User
I need to do my ball joints so it looks as if I will be pulling the hubs. Has anybody found a good place to get them or it powerstrokeshop.com a good place at like 300 for Moog joints and all the seals to pull the hubs and reinstall?

Old 11-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Bigfront
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My 2000 SD 4WD (130K mi.) was at the dealer today for an unrelated service and I was told that my left front hub/bearing was worn and could fail at any time...they want $750 to do the one side. I've had NO symptoms whatsoever and will ask them to show me how they came to this conclusion tomorrow. After reading this thread and hearing all the comments about greasing through the ABS hole, I'm left to ask what about a truck such as mine that does NOT have front ABS...is there a way to provide maintenance to the NON-ABS bearing assembly and is there a maintainable aftermarket assembly available?? Could a new OEM unit be modified to accept a zerk fitting? I'm guessing that I will still need to lube the needle bearings in the same manner as described in this thread? I welcome your comments...Thank you.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:02 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Very simple; drill a hole anywhere in the double roller bearing cavity housing, fill it full of grease (I used hi-temp sta-lube grease), and then thread and plug the hole or put a zerk in it. There is a diagram of the inside of hub in here somewhere but I can'r find it.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:10 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bigfront
My 2000 SD 4WD (130K mi.) was at the dealer today for an unrelated service and I was told that my left front hub/bearing was worn and could fail at any time...they want $750 to do the one side. I've had NO symptoms whatsoever and will ask them to show me how they came to this conclusion tomorrow. After reading this thread and hearing all the comments about greasing through the ABS hole, I'm left to ask what about a truck such as mine that does NOT have front ABS...is there a way to provide maintenance to the NON-ABS bearing assembly and is there a maintainable aftermarket assembly available?? Could a new OEM unit be modified to accept a zerk fitting? I'm guessing that I will still need to lube the needle bearings in the same manner as described in this thread? I welcome your comments...Thank you.
I did my own bearing replacement when I found my right hub failing at 140,000 miles. I knew I was in for a big job. But actually I parked the truck for a week and worked a little each day. As it turns out the job was relatively easy. I bought a Timken replacement bearing from AZ. The jacking of the truck was the most difficult part. Once the wheel was off the caliper was removed as in doing a brake job. Then the rotor. Once this was done there were only 4 nuts on the back side of the hub to remove the hub and I also pulled the axle. I decided to replace all the seals and only Ford local had the big seal for the ESOF hub. While at the parts counter I asked if they could press the seal on for me. $10.00 to press it on. As they say in chiltons assembly is the opposite of disassembly. Take note to look at the spindle shaft for wear. If you have damaged the spindle shaft you will need to replace it. Mine showed no measurable wear so I used it. I also put extra grease in the needle bearing. I could have perhaps drilled the new bearing to relube later. But then since I went 140,000 miles I figured if the new bearing went as long it would take 10 years to need replacement again. If you decide to do the job yourself there is enough info on this site and guzzle to do the work. The total cost to me was just under $300 for the repair.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:44 PM
JumpinJoe
Mountain Pass

mileage failure point / maintain or replace / front & back ?

If your bearings have 130K, 140K, 150K+.... at what point is failure likely? Also, at that point would this maintenance be too late, and we would be better served with a pre-breakdown/accident replacement of these bearings?

These 3 types of bearing greasings would be for the front wheels, or for both the front and back axle?

Quick Reply: Greasing your main wheel hub bearings. Pics here