Sponsored by:

Where to get power for back-up camera??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:06 AM
DaveandJennyP
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where to get power for back-up camera??

I am going to wire up my back-up camera so that I can turn it on with a dash mounted switch as well as having it go on with the reverse lights. I picked up a double pole double throw relay from radio shack last night. When I turn on the dash switch the relay will break the circuit to the back up lights (so the back-up lights don't come on with the switch) and complete the circuit from the dash switch.

My question is where can I get a 12 volt source from under the dash? (preferably ignition switched, or even better a source that is on the accessory delay)

I also want to wire in the monitor to this source so I don't have the plug sticking out of the power port all the time.

Thank You in advance.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:51 AM
myblkex
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what I did for mine was a little less complicated. I tapped the reverse lamp wire just behind the license plate for power on the transmitter, tucked the wires under through to the jack storage area on the right side. I didn't have time to run power to the moniotr , but I'll just use a blade fuse attachment and tap into one of the fuses that works the accessories - most likely the power windows since they are on an accessory delay or else any other ignition one. They're all listed in the owners manual... I can't remember which they are exactly off hand

Old 06-09-2009, 06:10 AM
DaveandJennyP
Senior User
Originally Posted by myblkex
what I did for mine was a little less complicated. I tapped the reverse lamp wire just behind the license plate for power on the transmitter, tucked the wires under through to the jack storage area on the right side. I didn't have time to run power to the moniotr , but I'll just use a blade fuse attachment and tap into one of the fuses that works the accessories - most likely the power windows since they are on an accessory delay or else any other ignition one. They're all listed in the owners manual... I can't remember which they are exactly off hand
Can I find a blade fuse attachment at any auto parts?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:26 AM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DaveandJennyP
Can I find a blade fuse attachment at any auto parts?
Usually have them at Auto Zone.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:12 AM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
i know you already have all you supplies.......... but what about a diode in between the transmitter and the reverse lights?

tap into your factory reverse light wire and put a diode between the lights and the transmitter. put the diode where when your lights come on, your transmitter comes on. THEN run a power wire back to the transmitter from the dash. splice the power wire from the dash to the transmitter side of the diode.......... this will only allow the transmitter to come on WITH OUT the reverse lights. the diode will not allow a connection to be made going to the reverse lights, thus only the camera will come on.

you should be able to get an inline diode for about 2 bucks at a local parts store.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:38 AM
DaveandJennyP
Senior User
Thanks TeamMudd, but I got my relay wired up last night and all works as I had hoped.

After some more internet surfing, I am supplying my dash switch with an extra circuit that Ford has provided. It's called customer access and has a 10 amp fuse in the panel already. The wire is a white with light blue stripe and is taped along the wires going to the OBD connector. There si actually a tag that calls it out. Its also switched with the ignition.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 AM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
....I got my relay wired up last night...
Your installation just didn't happen........

......unless you post some images to prove it!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:15 AM
DaveandJennyP
Senior User
Originally Posted by VaSheriff
Your installation just didn't happen........

......unless you post some images to prove it!!!
I will...I will....stuff takes time when you have a 1 & 3 year old. Also I tend to be a perfectionist which comes from working in the Tool & Die field.

I don't have the switch mounted yet or the monitor mounted. I have tested my wiring though and all works. The monitor I am just going to lay as far ahead as I can on the trans tunnel, just have to figure out a way to keep it from sliding down. I would like to make some sort of panel to go over the cubby to mount the switch in, but I haven't had a revelation yet as what to use or how to do that in a way that looks good. The switch may end up in the fuse access panel.

I am very impressed with the picture quality of this unit, especiall in low light.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
kool, man, i figured i was kinda late on the post, but i figured i'd throw it up there, maybe somone else had/has similar idea too.

i hear ya on the 1 & 3yo.......... i got a 5 (soon to be 6), a (just turned) 4yo, and TWIN 18mo's.................YEA i feel ya brother!! hobbies / custom jobs take back seat to AAALLLLLL the kids, LOL!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Downriver Thunder
Posting Guru
Hope you have better luck with your reception. Mine's lousy.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:00 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Downriver Thunder
Hope you have better luck with your reception. Mine's lousy.
That's weird!

You don't have the wiring rolled up in a bunch and wrapped with a tie, do you?

The wires act as the antennas and need to be unrolled completely.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:04 AM
myblkex
Senior User
Thanks TeamMudd, but I got my relay wired up last night and all works as I had hoped.

After some more internet surfing, I am supplying my dash switch with an extra circuit that Ford has provided. It's called customer access and has a 10 amp fuse in the panel already. The wire is a white with light blue stripe and is taped along the wires going to the OBD connector. There si actually a tag that calls it out. Its also switched with the ignition.
Finally finished installing the monitor in the truck and this ignition on wire worked out perfectly - I double checked everything with a voltmeter. Spliced the adapter end of the monitor cable and and perfecto !

Looks like the other wires in the bundle are access wires that Ford has installed for anyone wanting to install accessories and not have to drill through the firewalll --- these have already been run and you can just match up both sides

Old 07-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Northern Wind
New User
Does anone know where I can hook up the wire feed for the back-up camera in a 2006 F250 without running all the way to the back?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Elmo154
Senior User
Diode Idea

Regarding the diode idea. What happens if the car is in reverse and the power switch to the diode is on?

I have wired my power source to the back up lights. I was considering adding a diode between the backup light connection and the transmitter and then splicing a second power source into the running lights upstream of the diode. That way I can turn the camera on with the backup lights. My concern is above. Would two simultaneous power sources (backing up with running lights on) create problems?

Old 08-02-2009, 06:22 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
it should not harm anything.

Quick Reply: Where to get power for back-up camera??