Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 f150 starts and shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 PM
fordclay
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 f150 starts and shuts off

I just got this truck a few days ago it will start up and run from anywhere from 10 second to 5 minutes . the back tank feul pump does not work the front tank does which i have cleaned and replced the feul filter and the feul pressure reg and cleaned the egr , pcv . I am at a loss on this if anybody could give me some advice I would be grateful

Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 PM
fordclay
New User
I just got this truck a few days ago it will start up and run from anywhere from 10 second to 5 minutes . the back tank feul pump does not work the front tank does which i have cleaned and replced the feul filter and the feul pressure reg and cleaned the egr , pcv . I am at a loss on this if anybody could give me some advice I would be grateful

Old 07-14-2010, 07:53 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Have you tried pulling codes? See this web page Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test to learn how to do it without a code reader. You will get either 2 or 3 digit codes but not both, so if you end up with both you're not counting it right.

If you're having too much trouble counting the CEL blinks, this code reader Equus 3145 - Digital Code Reader | O'Reilly Auto Parts is cheap and super easy to use. I bought mine in store at O'Reilly for $30.

Start with pulling the codes and we'll work from there.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 PM
clemson_tiger29678
New User
I would almost bet that its the electrical side of the switch and is an easy fix. Not the key lock/cylinder, but the electrical plug under the dash mounted on the top side of the column. This unit is where the trucks electrical plugs into the ignition. The plug is about 3 inches long and 3/4 inch wide and has about 20 wires going into it. It clips in the ignition switch and holds with plastic "clamps" on each end. These clamps get old, wore or just break and the plug comes out just a bit...maybe 1/8 inch, which shuts the truck off. My 1991 F350 would start and would shut off when I shifted the automatic into gear. This shifting moves a rod on the column that made the plug ease off where it was supposed to be. I used a wire tie and wrapped it under the ignition which and around the plug to hold them to together and no more problems! It is located on the top side f the column fairly close the the bottom of the column and right above where the dash plate is...I didn't even have to remove anything t see mine and you'll know right away if yours is loose or not. Let me know if this is the issue!

Old 07-15-2010, 05:22 PM
fordclay
New User
thanks for the advice I will try it tomorrow because its raining today and I dont have a shop and I will let you know