1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

door handle studs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:18 AM
learpilot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door handle studs?

Has anyone installed the 1/4" longer door handle studs? Mine need to be replace sicne they are stripped and I guess the long one would be the way to go since I will be installing a door panel but the catalog says they must be tack welded and there are small pieces to watch out for when dissaembling, Is this a difficut job? How is it taken apart? Thanks

Old 06-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think it would be to hard. You just tack weld the stud onto the flange but make it 1/4 inch longer. Disassembly is not hard, you just drill out the retainer rivets.

Be very careful of the spring that holds the door lock in the locked position - they are not made any longer...But I have a part number for one that is supposedly an adequate substitute.

Let's bump this back up to the top for one more look!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:10 AM
learpilot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks Julie, I guess no one has actually done this.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That could very well be. Or maybe folks who are installing panels just expect the escutchins to take up the difference. And I wonder about that because on my Extra Cab, door panels were installed. On teh regular Five Star Cabs, they were not. The escutchins on teh Extra Cab are different, spring operated metal discs rather than the solid rubber, and may make up the difference.

But - back on track, when I look at the mechanism (my spare being a 51/2 - which is close to the same for this discussion) I wouldn't think it would be terrifically difficult if you can weld or braze. Maybe even cut the original shaft and weld it back on with a coupler only 1/4 inch farther out. (I remember though that yo uneed to replace yours due to wear).

So, YOU are the corporate knowledge on this one now, and get to experiment and teach all of us next time it comes up - no pressure!!!!