idea for an efi 300 six cyl supercharger..

Old 06-05-2009, 11:42 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
idea for an efi 300 six cyl supercharger..

so, while watching random youtube videos and browsing through fte and some other performance websites i had a thought hit me. i thought, well theoretically you could take a centrifugal style vortech supercharger meant for a 302 mustang and use it on a 300 six cylinder. the only "custom" parts needed i think would be the mounting of the supercharger itself to the engine, and the intake tubing. other than that, i think the rest of the kit would work. now, i was thinking also that only about 5-6 psi would really be safe, and thats what most of the vortech systems setup for cast pistons (which our 300 sixes are equipped with) run. so, by my calculations, a 300 6 with 5-6 psi of boost would be somewhere around 210-230hp, probably slightly more if you add headers and a full mandrel bent exhaust, and im assuming this would also put you over the crest of 300 ft lbs of torque. imagine that, youd have a 300 six with slightly better than 351 performance, all in a much more efficient package. i see no issue in using the fmu (fuel management unit), although an fmu for a 5.8/5.0 TRUCK supercharger might make mounting it easier, since the mustang fuel rails enter the engine at a different location, although i think i could get away with using the mustang unit. oil lines for the supercharger? well, you wouldnt go about that any different than you would for a 302, so that would be easy in itself, and like said, the mounting bracket would have to be fabbed up but i think i could do that, i might even be able to find a supercharger to throttle body tube for the 5.0/5.8 Truck and mickey mouse it in there to work.the other big ticket item that comes with superchargers is an ignition boost controller, which pulls timing out of the engine automatically as you get into the boost (when needed) to avoid detonation. now, there are cases where some engines dont need this, as i remember Diesel_Brad on here didnt need to pull any timing out of his 460efi supercharged rig, so he set his boost controller to zero, and it works perfect there, i think if you run premium fuel, the need for a boost controller is probably non existant, so it might be worth a try without it, since the 300 six doesnt really have a high compression ratio to begin with, i think i could get away with it.i know, i know, this idea is a little outside the box, but i think it could actually work. anyone care to express any opinions or criticism on this idea of mine? if i could actually get this to work, and replicate all the parts needed to adapt this to a 300 six engine, i would gladly make you guys a complete kit for your own trucks to do the same thing (if anyone would be interested). i think this would be a chance to get the ole I6 to outrun the v8.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 946 Likes on 751 Posts
Yep... it's probably the best idea for this motor since there isn't much of an aftermarket parts supply for it like the V8's. The only thing that won't work as you describe is the ignition controller.. it has to be manually adjusted by the driver. It would need to be attached to a knock sensor and also have a processor to make these adjustments automatically.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 AM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Conanski
The only thing that won't work as you describe is the ignition controller.. it has to be manually adjusted by the driver. It would need to be attached to a knock sensor and also have a processor to make these adjustments automatically.
so, if i had a complete kit that comes with that ignition controller, would the I6 already have that knock sensor? or is that something that has to be added? or something thats only comes stock on the v8 trucks?

Old 06-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 946 Likes on 751 Posts
The 4.9 may have a knock sensor but I don't think the ignition systems shipped with these blower kits is designed to use one. The EEC may provide some level of detonation control on its own but i'm not sure how much.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:02 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 70torino429
so, while watching random youtube videos and browsing through fte and some other performance websites i had a thought hit me. i thought, well theoretically you could take a centrifugal style vortech supercharger meant for a 302 mustang and use it on a 300 six cylinder. the only "custom" parts needed i think would be the mounting of the
Totally doable. I grafted a Paxton designed for 5.0 Mustangs to a 1993 FWD V6 Continental, eight months into owning the car (bought new as a "leftover" spring of 94). Also had the heads/intake ported and the bottom end balanced and blueprinted, many of the parts replaced (pistons and rods mostly) with higher performance stuff that was reasonably sized since there is practically no aftermarket race parts for a FWD Continental.

Being FWD, it was traction impaired of course but it was heavier than most FWD cars so it did get a fair amount of "bite" with wider than stock Toyo's. Where it "kicked butt" was if it was already moving... accelerating like a bat out of heck from 85 mph was fun.

So yes, your idea is a good one and yes, you can outrun V8's easily enough if you put your system together correctly. A great place to start is by reading the I300 turbo thread in this forum. There's a wealth of knowledge there and many of us can add to that if you have questions.

Generally 5-6 psi is safe enough for most engines, especially ones with iron heads. Probably could to higher if you can tweak EFI code/tables.

As far as EFI computer, know that you can mix and match. You don't even have to stick with Ford stuff. I've personally grafted GM EFI to many other brands (Ford, Dodge, GM of course, Toyota and even a Subaru).

Remember that parts are parts, and if you can get the proper signals into the computer where the code/tables are easily accessable, you're golden.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:33 AM
crestfallinman
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have always thought about this, and i honestly would think the 300 engine would run much better with a supercharger than a turbo anyway, definately let me knoe if u get it workin, i may have to try to duplicate that! haha

Old 06-08-2009, 10:53 AM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by crestfallinman
i have always thought about this, and i honestly would think the 300 engine would run much better with a supercharger than a turbo anyway, definately let me knoe if u get it workin, i may have to try to duplicate that! haha
i agree, im more of a supercharger guy myself. if i actually can get this working, i would gladly duplicate the custom parts needed to make it work, i dont mind sharing stuff like this, as it would benefit all us 300 six owners. boy, there wouldnt be nothing greater than after beating someone in a race and they say hey man whats that got under the hood? eh, just an old 6 cylinder.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:45 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
A turbo runs off the expanding, hot exhaust gases, whereas a supercharger is driven by a belt.

Both systems have strengths and weaknesses, and it's a matter of choosing which is best for your application, rpm range, vehicle goals, and so on.

It's generally a little easier to graft a supercharger onto a vehicle than a turbo, unless you or someone you know can weld up a turbo header if one doesn't exist in the aftermarket world.

I've done both on different vehicles over the years, and I prefer turbocharging over supercharging as a general rule, even though the complexity of designing a working system is more complicated.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 AM
crestfallinman
Elder User

yeah i just love the sound of that supercharger winding up, and plus i like the constant power of a supercharger, idk i like that the turbo is more efficent but at the same time i just loove the supercharger

and a supercharger would be easier to do on a 300 just because everything would have to be custom either way, at least with the supercharger u dont have to have someone make or make the custom headers

Old 07-02-2009, 02:37 PM
SACGNS
Freshman User
there is third way around this. you can just go the route of a rear mounted turbo. then no need for custom manifolds its less complex then a normal turbo system an if you stay under 5psi there is no real need for an intercooler.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:16 PM
88F150Dust
New User
I've been kicking the idea around about putting a turbo on my bone stock 88 300 6cyl but this supercharger idea seems more ideal. What all parts would I need for this?

Old 07-13-2015, 06:35 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
88f150..... You dug up an old thread. But at least one of the guys is still very active on the forum.

There really isn't a parts list of what's needed. Because this hasn't really been done with any common parts. It's all custom stuff.
Depending on your mechanical ability, really dictates wether or not this project will happen.
Personally I'd put a turbo on it, they are easier to find, and don't require brackets and belt alignment.
If I had an efi 300-6 kicking around I'd take some measurements for you, but I'll still stick to a turbo being easier.