1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Head Steering gear box installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster-4
The drag link can be adjusted to recenter the steering wheel. It make take a few tries to get it just right but it's simple to do. Loosen the two bolts in the adjuster and twist it one direction or the other to center the steering wheel. Retighten the bolts and go for a spin. Rinse and repeat as needed.

So far it's worth every penny. Keep in mind I pretty much replaced everything else in the steering system (expect for pump) before replacing the box because there was so much slop in everything. The steering box was the biggest improvement.

You can try adjusting the steering box itself before going through the expense of replacing it. On top of the steering box is a lock nut and hex head bolt. Loosen the nut and turn the bolt 1/8 to a 1/4 turn. Tighten the lock nut back down. Go for a spin and see if that helps. You can do this adjustment a few times but you do not want to get the adjustment bolt to tight otherwise you can bind the steering box up. Also this is usually considered a band-aid for a worn out box.

Also you want check the rest of the steering system for issues. Check the drag link, tie rods and ball joints for slop and woren parts. Have the alignment checked and give you tires an inspection as well. Any of these or all these can be the root of your problem as well as the steering box.
Naw. Everything is basically tight under there. Have replaced many of the parts, but I am going to try that box tightening method as well as rotating the drag link.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:44 PM
T8R
Laughing Gas
Great write up. Reps on the way.

Seems to be common thing. Went through the same process. Ball joints and bearings -> Tie rod and ends... now I'm to the steering box and it looks like there might actually be some shaft play (side to side, not just rotational). Going to try the adjustment hex screw first to see if it helps - but looks like it's probably just worn. Anyone know how likely the steering box is to fail completely if it's work - or will it just keep getting most slop until I can't stand it anymore? (it'll influence how quickly I set aside cash for a new box.)

Also - is there anything beefier than a read head - or that's pretty much it without spending an arm and a leg? I've heard good things about them so far.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:58 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by T8R
Great write up. Reps on the way.

Seems to be common thing. Went through the same process. Ball joints and bearings -> Tie rod and ends... now I'm to the steering box and it looks like there might actually be some shaft play (side to side, not just rotational). Going to try the adjustment hex screw first to see if it helps - but looks like it's probably just worn. Anyone know how likely the steering box is to fail completely if it's work - or will it just keep getting most slop until I can't stand it anymore? (it'll influence how quickly I set aside cash for a new box.)

Also - is there anything beefier than a read head - or that's pretty much it without spending an arm and a leg? I've heard good things about them so far.
Isn't the Red Head just a rebuilt stock box? They just keep getting sloppier until you can't stand it anymore but you should be able to gain some ground with the adjustment.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T8R
Check out this kit... $1,542.06

ORU Hydraulic Ram Steering Assist March 1999-2004 Ford F250/F350 Superduty w/Diesel Engine - Ford Hydraulic Ram Assist - Off Road Unlimited

Special Note: The price of this item includes a CORE CHARGE of $450.00. The Core Charge will be refunded once we get your Steering Box back and its still in good condition and re-builldable.
ORU's Hydraulic Ram Assist helps low speed maneuvering in tight spaces with large tires which can require more input at the steering wheel than most are able, (or willing) to give. This Ram-Assist system puts additional hydraulic force on the tie rod, which alleviates stress at the steering box and frame. With our ram-assist installed, you'll be able to turn 44" tires at a dead stop! The system retains all your factory steering linkage, which makes it legal for street use in all states. Most kits require minor welding and a steering box core charge.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:47 PM
T8R
Laughing Gas
Wow. I get turned on just reading the description. Excellent find Furian. I wish I had some way to justify it on a 2wd. *grin*

Saving the info on that to a separate "when my budget is appropriately manly" file.

Apparently... I should "spread reps". This is however deserving.

Edit: I'll try adjusting my worn box tomorrow - and report back whether or not it helps - since I haven't heard mention of someone else actually watching the shaft move side to side yet. :-)

Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by T8R
Wow. I get turned on just reading the description. Excellent find Furian. I wish I had some way to justify it on a 2wd. *grin*

Saving the info on that to a separate "when my budget is appropriately manly" file.

Apparently... I should "spread reps". This is however deserving.

Edit: I'll try adjusting my worn box tomorrow - and report back whether or not it helps - since I haven't heard mention of someone else actually watching the shaft move side to side yet. :-)
Ha! I didn't realize that your Super Duty was 4X2... my bad. Let us know what you discover!

Old 11-11-2009, 07:41 AM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
This write up is a great Tech Article. Rep points on the way.....

Old 11-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
Isn't the Red Head just a rebuilt stock box?
Yes but it is hand rebuilt with custom spec-ed parts to insure a high quality rebuild. Good luck finding anything that is not rebuilt other than an orginal pulled from a junker. At least with Red Head you know it's not a spray and pray like most "rebuilds".

Old 11-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Furian
Check out this kit... $1,542.06

ORU Hydraulic Ram Steering Assist March 1999-2004 Ford F250/F350 Superduty w/Diesel Engine - Ford Hydraulic Ram Assist - Off Road Unlimited

Special Note: The price of this item includes a CORE CHARGE of $450.00. The Core Charge will be refunded once we get your Steering Box back and its still in good condition and re-builldable.
ORU's Hydraulic Ram Assist helps low speed maneuvering in tight spaces with large tires which can require more input at the steering wheel than most are able, (or willing) to give. This Ram-Assist system puts additional hydraulic force on the tie rod, which alleviates stress at the steering box and frame. With our ram-assist installed, you'll be able to turn 44" tires at a dead stop! The system retains all your factory steering linkage, which makes it legal for street use in all states. Most kits require minor welding and a steering box core charge.

Nice find but to bad it's $1000+.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:47 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
Isn't the Red Head just a rebuilt stock box? They just keep getting sloppier until you can't stand it anymore but you should be able to gain some ground with the adjustment.
Yes and no, in the same way a BTS 4R100 is just a rebuilt transmission.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:02 PM
T8R
Laughing Gas
Nice find but to bad it's $1000+.
Yeah, but for something that solid... and for someone spending enough building the rest of their truck... that seems like it would be a pretty reasonable investment. (Especially for the guys running big lifts and big tires that tend to chew through the regular steering boxes even quicker than us lil' guys do.)

I'd love to have one of these on day. :-) Then again... i like to overbuild everything.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:03 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
About $1600 total? That's about a quarter of what my ex is worth. Wait, there will be copy cats coming up with cheaper ones.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
It appears that when you use a hydraulic ram steering assist like the ORU kit, a traditional steering stabilizer is no longer needed. I had planned to purchase the CST dual steering stabilizer bracket and two Bilstien 5100 shocks, which costs $395.85 at TruckToyzPerformance.com. Since I wouldn't need this any longer, that reduces that overall cost of the ORU kit by $400.00.

CST Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit - 2005-2007 F250/350 4wd - Truck Toyz Store

https://www.offroadunlimited.com/oru...idproduct=8221

So, the actual cost of the ORU kit is as follows:

$1,873.06 - ORU Kit (Includes $700.00 Core Charge)
less $700.00 - Core Charge
less $400.00 - Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit Listed Above
$773.06 - Actual Cost

I know, that's some "funny math" but for me it makes more sense to invest in something like the ORU kit considering that I will be running 40" tires.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
That actually makes sense to me Andrew especially running 40's. I run 33's now and I won't consider anything over 35's. By the time you add the lift and the tires I wouldn't like towing with anything sitting that high. I use my truck from everything to towing to hauling mulch or lumber or just getting grocery's when the snow gets to deep to take my car (or when I just feel like driving my truck ).

Old 02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
That actually makes sense to me Andrew especially running 40's.
I sometimes scare myself with my logic...

Quick Reply: Red Head Steering gear box installed