idea for an efi 300 six supercharger..

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:51 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
idea for an efi 300 six supercharger..

so, while watching random youtube videos and browsing through fte and some other performance websites i had a thought hit me. i thought, well theoretically you could take a centrifugal style vortech supercharger meant for a 302 mustang and use it on a 300 six cylinder. the only "custom" parts needed i think would be the mounting of the supercharger itself to the engine, and the intake tubing. other than that, i think the rest of the kit would work. now, i was thinking also that only about 5-6 psi would really be safe, and thats what most of the vortech systems setup for cast pistons (which our 300 sixes are equipped with) run. so, by my calculations, a 300 6 with 5-6 psi of boost would be somewhere around 210-230hp, probably slightly more if you add headers and a full mandrel bent exhaust, and im assuming this would also put you over the crest of 300 ft lbs of torque. imagine that, youd have a 300 six with slightly better than 351 performance, all in a much more efficient package.

i see no issue in using the fmu (fuel management unit), although an fmu for a 5.8/5.0 TRUCK supercharger might make mounting it easier, since the mustang fuel rails enter the engine at a different location, although i think you could get away with using the mustang unit.

oil lines for the supercharger? well, you wouldnt go about that any different than you would for a 302, so that would be easy in itself, and like said, the mounting bracket would have to be fabbed up but i think i could do that, you might even be able to find a supercharger to throttle body tube for the 5.0/5.8 Truck and mickey mouse it in there to work.

the other big ticket item that comes with superchargers is an ignition boost controller, which pulls timing out of the engine automatically as you get into the boost (when needed) to avoid detonation. now, there are cases where some engines dont need this, as i remember Diesel_Brad on here didnt need to pull any timing out of his 460efi supercharged rig, so he set his boost controller to zero, and it works perfect there, i think if you run premium fuel, the need for a boost controller is probably non existant, so it might be worth a try without it, since the 300 six doesnt really have a high compression ratio to begin with, i think you could get away with it.

i know, i know, this idea is a little outside the box, but i think it could actually work. anyone care to express any opinions or criticism on this idea of mine?

if i could actually get this to work, and replicate all the parts needed to adapt this to a 300 six engine, i would gladly make you guys a complete kit for your own trucks to do the same thing (if anyone would be interested). i think this would be our chance to send the v8 boys home crying.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:55 PM
4X4dieselKing
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that is too long sir

Old 06-05-2009, 10:00 PM
4X4dieselKing
New User
y cudn't u like bold the main parts so ppl dont hafta read tht?
or even built it. I can't read that much
mean people writing to much

Old 06-06-2009, 12:11 AM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 4X4dieselKing
Please learn how to type complete words (in English as opposed to "AIM speak") before you go around critiquing others posts. I don't want to bust your chops man, but really...

Getting back to what you said 70torino429, you seem to be on the right track... The thing that presents trouble is the stock ECU, which someone can correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't very easily adapted to anything but a stock engine. Maybe a Mega-Squirt set up?

Old 06-06-2009, 11:28 AM
70torino429
Posting Guru
that is too long sir
im not even going to dignify that with a response..

Originally Posted by fiftyfordfloored

Getting back to what you said 70torino429, you seem to be on the right track... The thing that presents trouble is the stock ECU, which someone can correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't very easily adapted to anything but a stock engine. Maybe a Mega-Squirt set up?
i see your point here, however, vortech does make systems for speed density ECU's. the only limiting factor is that when you add one of their superchargers to a speed density vehicle, you can only add basic mods to it besides the supercharger, anything else involving camshafts, and such would require a different tune, but if just using a supercharger, and a full new exhaust, i think id be ok. the fuel management unit and boost controller, are accomadating to the speed density computer, and are both simple designs for that reason. the only thing needed for these controls, is a knock sensor, which i need to see if the 300 six has one.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
i like the sounds of this...you should put a parts list together...my limited knowledge in supercharger systems says it should work as long as the boost is kept low, or forged pistons are introduced

like you said with the supercharger alone and maybe a better exhaust you would probably almost double the power output, it would probably hit the HP more then it would the torque but that would still jump good...should even work with that damn SD ECU

Old 06-06-2009, 11:52 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
how about something like this for the 5.0 mustang...no oil lines required

Ford Racing M-6066-CT46P

Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 AM
BigBlue88
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say go with a kit for a SD 5.0. 5.0 is such a popular platform that no doubt they've already got speed-density EEC IV figured out. You'll almost certainly need to do the large injector & Mustang fuel pressure regulator mod (which are both good things anyway). Both are discussed at length in various posts here.

EEC IV 300 motors already have knock sensors, no problem there.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:36 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Thats a good idea except for most centri's don't build boost until after 3000RPM, LOL. I don't know about you but at 3000RPM my 300 is screaming to shift!

A twin screw blower would be the ultimate. Full boost at 2000RPM and flat torque curve. Matt in Denver already accomplished this years ago, but it was a carbed setup with a Kenne Bell twin screw like I have on my 5.0 stang =)

Old 06-24-2009, 09:26 AM
RedWing58
Freshman User
my truck is mass air how much easier would it be to do this on my truck

Old 06-25-2009, 12:21 AM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ceetwarrior
Thats a good idea except for most centri's don't build boost until after 3000RPM, LOL. I don't know about you but at 3000RPM my 300 is screaming to shift!

A twin screw blower would be the ultimate. Full boost at 2000RPM and flat torque curve. Matt in Denver already accomplished this years ago, but it was a carbed setup with a Kenne Bell twin screw like I have on my 5.0 stang =)

now that would be sweet could probably double the torque output....we should find a way to adapt one of these guys to a 300 EFI cause i agree while i would still put a centrifugal supercharger on my 300 i would prefer the twin screw like you said by the time most centri's hit their boost the 300 is out of breath...and who doesnt want more torque

Old 06-25-2009, 08:43 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master

Here's the link to Matt's Kenne Bell supercharged 300inline six (CARB'D): http://www.cardomain.com/ride/451198

Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 AM
SR_Crewchief
Senior User
Originally Posted by 70torino429
im not even going to dignify that with a response..

i see your point here, however, vortech does make systems for speed density ECU's. the only limiting factor is that when you add one of their superchargers to a speed density vehicle, you can only add basic mods to it besides the supercharger, anything else involving camshafts, and such would require a different tune, but if just using a supercharger, and a full new exhaust, i think id be ok. the fuel management unit and boost controller, are accomadating to the speed density computer, and are both simple designs for that reason. the only thing needed for these controls, is a knock sensor, which i need to see if the 300 six has one.
In theory it's doable. A stumbling block is what the stock ECU does when the MAP pegs once you hit boost. You'd be better off with something like the Mega Squirt 2 than trying to leverage a stock SD ECU. I don't know Vortech's systems, but if they intercept the MAP signal then that might not be an issue.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:04 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's the link to Matt's Kenne Bell supercharged 300inline six (CARB'D): http://www.cardomain.com/ride/451198
That is just way too koool!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:57 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why cant u try to use a GM 2 or 3 bar map sensor?

Quick Reply: idea for an efi 300 six supercharger..