Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp
that is just way too koool!
i want one!...

Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Desert Iron
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really helping with the computer stuff, but when the money comes, I'm going to build a custom supercharged setup utilizing a whipple twin screw and a custom manifold. Carbs of course. I'm going to target 500hp and 700 ft/lbs of torque.

May seem unrealistic, but I think I could make it work. I guess I have something to look forward too next summer. Seeing that cardomain page has only added fuel to the fire.

- Desert Iron

Old 06-28-2009, 11:05 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Desert Iron
Not really helping with the computer stuff, but when the money comes, I'm going to build a custom supercharged setup utilizing a whipple twin screw and a custom manifold. Carbs of course. I'm going to target 500hp and 700 ft/lbs of torque.

May seem unrealistic, but I think I could make it work. I guess I have something to look forward too next summer. Seeing that cardomain page has only added fuel to the fire.

- Desert Iron
Your going to need a lot better pistons to handle 500hp and 700 ft lbs. Im willing to bet at that power level the crank and rods are going to try to split into pieces as well.

An m90 off a GM 3.8 would be the perfect budget roots type blower, there is tons of them available cheap and they put out about 6-8psi with the stock pulley!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:06 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Iron

- Desert Iron
That's a pipe dream. Theres no way a 300-6 can make 500HP. 700TQ maybe, LOL, but not 500HP. These motors just don't have it. Sorta reminds me of late 7.3PSD's 275HP but 520TQ, stock. Kinda odd ratio but that's how it is.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Desert Iron
5th Wheeling
70torino429: I had already planned on this and you're absolutely right. I'm a materials engineering major, so I'm going to have access to some very interesting stuff. Whether I can use it or not, different story.

As well, I doubt anyone makes a crank for this engine that will be the right material, so that may be a hurdle. Pistons and rods, I don't believe they will pose a problem.

ceetwarrior: I respect your opinion, but I truely believe it's possible. The fact that the gentleman with the '67 that was getting a claimed 450hp from his supercharged 300 further supports my dream. Another 50 hp wont be a problem. Obviously I do not have any dyno sheets in front of me, but I believe it.

I posted this in a different thread, but this is my imaginary setup:

- All forged alloy internals
- Ported head with a bigger cam and larger valves.
- Custom sheetmetal intake
- Whipple twin screw
- Carbs or TBI, whatever lets me get there, I don't care

With all of these coming together, it's simply a question of letting it rev as much as possible. Ideally, I don't want to make it a "racy" engine, but with the right internals, and the right head, I can easily see this motor spinning up to a reliable 7000 rpm. Maybe even farther, but that's not my goal.

The whipple supercharger is really the key part in this mix because it allows the engine to have a very broad, flat torque curve. Twin screws are just sweet.

One of my favorite sayings applies here: "Nothing is impossible, we simply lack the knowledge."

None of this matters though 'cause I won't be able to even start till next year. I'm pretty optimistic though, and if I can pull it off, I'll have something truely unique.

- Desert Iron

Old 06-29-2009, 09:56 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Desert Iron, if you pull it off I will be happy for you! It's just such a far shot for an engine that litterally dies off and runs out of steam after 3000RPM. I mean, I've revved mine to 5000 before just to see what would happen, and it sounded like it was going to explode, LOL.

The 6 just doesn't seem balanced enough to rev high. Look a Cummins, they are getting good HP out of them (hopped up) but they only have a good 1200RPM 'good' working window, just like a 7.3PSD.

The Kenne Bell I have on my Cobra is awesome, the instant power is killer. But that's on an engine that 'likes' to easily rev to 6k.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:29 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Like you said, nothing is impossible but it will be a lot of work. Personally, i would love to see it happen. You can get the popular piston companies to custom make a set of forged pistons for you, but it wont be cheap. The good thing is that the 300's block is actually quite a hefty piece so the block splitting issues commonly known to high powered 302s, probably wont be too much of an issue. I have a feeling your going to be doing a lot of trial and error with rotating assemblys, but that may actually be a good thing to get what you want. Im sure there would be more than enough guys on here willing to help you out with your project.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Desert Iron
5th Wheeling
Thanks for the support guys!

It's just one of those things I guess 'cause my neighbor asked me why I don't just go with a V8, and I think I'm just too stubborn. Something about sixes...

From what I've been told, the real performance limiting piece on this engine is the head. I think this is easily remedied, but we'll see.

Like I said though, I can't even start till next year, maybe later. I'm going to be too busy with school to get started now, and then I'm going to need some serious cash to get it right. I think 10k wouldn't be an unreasonable figure, and that's just for the engine alone! Those whipple twin screws are expensive!

When or if this project is done, I'll probably have bought my truck again five times!

You pay to play I guess!

- Desert Iron

Side note: I remember reading in a performace engine book a while back that there is an advantage to using a 2 valve head over a 4 valve head in boosted applications. I don't really remember why that is (or was), but I would be interested to find out.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:12 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Desert Iron, why are you so set on using a Whipple? A Kenne Bell is JUST as good of a blower. German made internals etc. You can pick up a used 1.5L KB compressor for $500-1000, or a whole kit for a 5.0 for $1200-2000 (used).

Like 70Tornio said, a Eaton m90 is pretty common and easy to adapt. Only thing is they are a Roots type(less efficient) and look STUPID hanging off of the side of the engine.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Desert Iron
5th Wheeling
Not dead set, but to be honest, before I looked up Kenne Bell today on the web, I didn't really know much about them. Hence my repeating Whipple.

Any twin screw could work, and I'm not biased here, I just want the performance.

Found an interesting thread talking about custom 300 heads and performance data. One guy says he's already seen 7000 rpm on a 300!

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ford...ead-89738.html

Some interesting data here. Maybe I can get one of mech. engineering buddies to design me a custom, aluminum, cross-flow head for my 300. It would be sweet!

Desert Iron

Old 10-07-2010, 12:26 AM
84Fordvan
Freshman User
Sorry about posting on an old thread, but I had a Ford E150 that had a 300 I6 and I put an M90 from a T-Bird SC on it with stock SD EEC-IV fuel injection. It actually worked out pretty well, had it set up to blow through the throttle body with a blow off valve from a turbo setup on the boost pipe to relieve excess pressure. The vehicle believe it or not got slightly better mileage. I ran a narrow band 02 gauge, the engine never went lean under boost, granted I only ran 2 PSI due to my math on pulley sizes being off a little. I scrapped the project, but saved all the blower stuff and my engine. I will implement it on my 1990 F150 I just got last week.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:07 AM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That would be a great write up! Keep it posted, we wanna see a 'charged 300!

Old 10-09-2010, 10:15 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp
That would be a great write up! Keep it posted, we wanna see a 'charged 300!

I second that!

Old 10-09-2010, 10:09 PM
the last f-100
New User
i runing a magnacharger on a 300-6 with a 600 carb stock fuel pump(didit think that would work),port+p offey C manifold, headmen header, 12.2 1/4 mile, still needs alot more work and tuning, pic and a not so good video at: photobucket.com/thelastf100

Old 10-09-2010, 11:31 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by the last f-100
i runing a magnacharger on a 300-6 with a 600 carb stock fuel pump(didit think that would work),port+p offey C manifold, headmen header, 12.2 1/4 mile, still needs alot more work and tuning, pic and a not so good video at: photobucket.com/thelastf100
WOW, 12.2 et is pretty impressive. What was your MPH? I'd like to see a video of that.

Quick Reply: idea for an efi 300 six supercharger..