Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

Who has a veggie garden?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:09 PM
70blue
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has a veggie garden?

Who has a veggie garden and what have you got planted? Hows it coming along?

I have close to 1/4 acre planted. I have okra, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, yellow corn, white corn, onions, watermelons, cucumbers, pumpkins, cantaloupe, jalapeno, cayenne, green bell. bush type snap beans, peas, cilantro, yellow squash, zucchini plus my usual cooking spices I grow.

The corn is tassling. I did lose about 2 dozen stalks of yellow corn to one of my goats. The sqaush is getting loaded I will be picking my first 50-75 squash within a week. The bush beans have some little beans starting on them so I expect to start harvesting them soon. 9 of my tomato plants are big enough that I finally quit pinching the blooms off, the other 11 need to grow some more before I let them produce. I can't wait for them fried green tomatoes. I will not get a good crop of cucumbers because only 2 came up out of a whole row I planted. I can trade with the neighbor because he will have plenty of cucumbers. Most everything else needs more maturing before they get close to producing.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:09 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70blue
Who has a veggie garden and what have you got planted? Hows it coming along?

I have close to 1/4 acre planted. I have okra, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, yellow corn, white corn, onions, watermelons, cucumbers, pumpkins, cantaloupe, jalapeno, cayenne, green bell. bush type snap beans, peas, cilantro, yellow squash, zucchini plus my usual cooking spices I grow.

The corn is tassling. I did lose about 2 dozen stalks of yellow corn to one of my goats. The sqaush is getting loaded I will be picking my first 50-75 squash within a week. The bush beans have some little beans starting on them so I expect to start harvesting them soon. 9 of my tomato plants are big enough that I finally quit pinching the blooms off, the other 11 need to grow some more before I let them produce. I can't wait for them fried green tomatoes. I will not get a good crop of cucumbers because only 2 came up out of a whole row I planted. I can trade with the neighbor because he will have plenty of cucumbers. Most everything else needs more maturing before they get close to producing.
30' X60' roughly. I too have okra, plus red potatoes, tomatoes, sweet corn, cucumbers, 2 types peppers, bush beans, lima beans, garden squash, parsnips, rutabagas, turnips, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, swiss chard. Most of the stuff is up, except the potatoes and carrots. You all down south get a jump start on us yankees. Planting just started last week of may.

I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:07 PM
70blue
Postmaster
Sounds like a great garden. Pretty big at that. True we do have the growing season but you guys have that nice black soil. If you could get northern soil in a southern climate you would really have a killer garden.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:44 PM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah I just got mine in too you guys start early-we had so much rain it held up planting-and a late threat of frost-i got just a small garden anymore-the big one got too much shade from the trees -and i can't cut em down

Old 06-08-2009, 12:53 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 304 Likes on 279 Posts
I am a little behind in getting my garden in this year. We did get the 18 tomato plants in this weekend. I need to get the tiller out again before planting the corn, green and yellow beans, lima beans, watermelon, green peppers, chilie peppers and jalapeno peppers. I thing that maybe a few other items but not too much.

We also had a late frost a few weeks ago and things are DRY here. Suppose to get some rain tonight and tomorrow night too so that will help.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Smaug
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 70blue
Sounds like a great garden. Pretty big at that. True we do have the growing season but you guys have that nice black soil. If you could get northern soil in a southern climate you would really have a killer garden.
I've got black soil, bought it by the bag at Home Depot. We planted cukes, corn, maters, bell peppers, squash, beans, strawberries, cantaloupe and watermelon. The plot is only about 20x30.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:49 AM
tin-man
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I think I have the Biggest Garden of ALL!!, I have a spot that is About 3x10 , I have 4 mater's, 3 pepper's, and about 1 cucumber, , I just can't do what I used to do!! But, I still like to say I have a SPOT!!