6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Engine oil dip stick readings

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:20 AM
madmax99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine oil dip stick readings

Has anyone else had a problem reading their oil level. I can not tell with any accuracy what my oil level is. When I first pull the dip stick you can get an idea of the level if you quickly rotate it looking for some type of line but after that it comes up covered in oil even if you short stick it. It seems like the tube is filled with oil so no mater what, it come up covered in oil. This has got to be one of the crapiest design of a dip stick I have ever seen.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
it is I agree. Best way is when the motor is cold that is all I can suggest.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:56 AM
AllWhite08
Freshman User
Mine is the same no matter how long it sets. The dealer changed it last and when i do it i will see if they over filled. I even tried pinching it under the handle to mark it even further than the "short stick" with no luck.
I like my truck just not reading post all day to stay ahead of the issues!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
When I change my oil and filter i always put 14 quarts back in. Seems it should be low but i'm always in the middle of the stick. Let the truck sit overnight. Then recheck it and do not allow the handle end of the stick to turn as you pull it out. Once out there will be oil on both sides of the stick and that is where you level is at. You only get one shot as the next time you will be pulling oil off the sidewall of the tube. Its a pain in the butt for sure.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:18 AM
AllWhite08
Freshman User
Originally Posted by sawtooth
When I change my oil and filter i always put 14 quarts back in. Seems it should be low but i'm always in the middle of the stick. Let the truck sit overnight. Then recheck it and do not allow the handle end of the stick to turn as you pull it out. Once out there will be oil on both sides of the stick and that is where you level is at. You only get one shot as the next time you will be pulling oil off the sidewall of the tube. Its a pain in the butt for sure.

Good info

Old 06-10-2009, 06:50 PM
RedRage
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
That's whats wrong

It's amazing, they can't even design a dipstick that works. The dipstick is an indication of what is wrong with designers and the entire auto industry.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:50 AM
ctfordguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by RedRage
It's amazing, they can't even design a dipstick that works. The dipstick is an indication of what is wrong with designers and the entire auto industry.
I think the dipstick is fine, it is the user that is having the problems, and that is the problem with the auto industry and the country as a whole,, people cant think for themselves. The dipstick is not designed for and will not tell you if there is exactly 15 quarts of oil. Rather you need to use a little common sense here. As long as the oil is on the plastic piece you are fine.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:21 AM
RedRage
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
No, No

The problem is the oil gets on the plastic as it is pulled out of the tube. It's not the operator. Read other posts and use your common sense. I can get the same reading on the dipstick with 12 qts as with 15qts. Using a flat end on the dipstick, the same as used on most other vehicles, would be an improvement.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:17 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Originally Posted by RedRage
The problem is the oil gets on the plastic as it is pulled out of the tube. It's not the operator. Read other posts and use your common sense. I can get the same reading on the dipstick with 12 qts as with 15qts. Using a flat end on the dipstick, the same as used on most other vehicles, would be an improvement.

Best way to check it is to turn truck off let it sit for several hours or overnight. Then grab dipstick and grip it tightly so that you don't allow it to turn as you pull it out. Once out look at oil level on both sides of stick as the correct level will be the same on both sides. Try to get a good reading first shot as each time its becomes harder as you pull oil up into tube. Again, the accurate level will be the same on both sides of stick.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:30 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
It has been discussed here before. Only check to the bottom of the plug. Don't insert the dip stick all the way. Measure from the bottom of the handle. I forget the good words, but that solves the problem.

As stated above. 15 qts with a filter seems to overfill. I have been using 2 1/2 gallons and one gallon and it is right on. Good luck...

Old 06-14-2009, 04:05 PM
overthehillbill
Senior User
Originally Posted by rmosso1
It has been discussed here before. Only check to the bottom of the plug. Don't insert the dip stick all the way. Measure from the bottom of the handle. I forget the good words, but that solves the problem.

As stated above. 15 qts with a filter seems to overfill. I have been using 2 1/2 gallons and one gallon and it is right on. Good luck...
I really hate to show my stupidity, but here goes.
I have read many posts about these trucks making oil and the difficulty reading the dip stick. My question is: Has anyone had to add oil between oil changes?

Old 06-14-2009, 04:20 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
overthehillbill:

GREAT QUESTION:

Say 15 K on mine. Never even thought about it. DRIZZLE and DRAVEL does it all!

You are so correct. I am just glad we have 100,000 mile warranties. I started changing my oil at 3,000 mile intervals. EXPENSIVE: Even with a $21. motorcraft filter, and 14 quarts of oil, I quit keeping track.

BUT, when I go north next week with five new dirt bikes and a new Honda quad, I BEG I don't have problems!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:26 PM
overthehillbill
Senior User
Thanks, I'll order a case each of drizzle and dravel and sleep well knowing there is one thing I don't have to concerned about.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:58 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
The drivel is what FORD gives us; and, alas, they also give us the drizzle from the injectors.

My point is that you nailed it. Why would anyone design a dip stick that twists 360 degrees and always comes up full? So like I said, don't fight it, just change the oil and put in 14 quarts and feel comfortable, and don't add no mo oil!

If you have a 6.4 just enjoy the truck and don't order anything special. How did that song go: DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY! Wake up knowing that you could have bot a DODGE! YUK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:10 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you can spend this much time bi****** about a dip stick then u have too much time on your hands and no other major problems. BE HAPPY!

Quick Reply: Engine oil dip stick readings