Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Canadian National Chapter > Nova Scotia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Nova Scotia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Senior User

WilleyB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question What Kind of Lube Oil do you use

Well I was using Esso 5W 20. I used to get it at the Super Store but now they don't stock oil these days. At least I couldn't find it.
I noted Wall Mart has Esso 0W 40 however that's not what I want. So what kind (make) do you use in your trucks?

Cheers
Willis
Old 06-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Elder User

northeaster79 is starting off with a positive reputation.
ahh your talking about motor oil.hahaha.I use 10w30 castrol in my rigs,and a small bottle of stp with every oil change,and always ford filters.we use irvings IDO premium 15w40 in all the trucks here.I should start buying my oil at walmart,they seem to have some pretty good deals on sometimes.
-1978 F100 302/C4/9" 4:11's...toy
-1989 Toyota 4runner...DD
Old 06-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Senior User

Well I picked up some 5W 30 Pennzoil today at Crappy tire, it's on for $16 + change. I guess one's as good as the other. I use the Wix filters. What are you paying for the Ford filters?

Cheers
Willis
Old 06-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Elder User

I'm not too sure I'd say one is as good as the other,when I bought my 89 5.0 the guy had been using pennzoil in it and it would go down over a liter between changes,I flushed it and started with thge castrol and it might have went down a quarter of a liter in 3500kms.the filter for the 302 from ford is around $10.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Senior User

Thanks Fred, it has Pennzoil in it now so if it starts using oil I'll switch to Castrol. I change every 3000 mi or 3 months as the book suggests. I've using Wix filters (they're not all that cheap either) I don't recall the cost but for $10 or so I'll use a Motocraft next oil change. Jeez the oil I drained out looked as good as what I put in. I saved it for the oil feeders.
I checked the torque on the spark plugs yesterday, what a treat that was. Must have been 4 or 5 hours at it, what a stupid way to build a vehicle. Man the mechanic who did the thread repair on #3 earned every penny he got for the job. The #6 to #10 bank is ok but other than #4 and #5 the others are a real (better left unsaid)

Cheers
Willis
Old 06-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Elder User

any time willis,I bet they are a fun thing to work on,I know when I worked at kennworth I had my fair share of being stuck working on power strokes in cube vans,theres a treat.for allows for 42 hours to change the oil pan in one,I'll tell you they aren't too far off there.vans and cubes are a royal pain to work on.but I guess it has to be done.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Senior User

Quote:
I bet they are a fun thing to work on
Well I guess that would depend on what you'd call fun.
Fred when working on a van (diesel or gas) take the passenger seat out. At least then you won't have to be a contortionist to do the work. The amount of room and time you'll save by doing that is priceless, and it's so easy to do.
There was only one problem I had with doing it is that I modified the seat (Moved it back for foot room to clear the console) so now there are studs sticking up. The result was I literally ended up with a pain in the a$$.
We plan to be on the road next week, but I still have a lot to get done, namely a cover for the outboard generator and pack my clothes. Also for some strange reason the cruise control started working. (life is good )

Cheers
Willis
Old 06-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Elder User

its funny how sometimes things seem to fix themselves.
I'm only 5'6 so I rarely have trouble fitting into tight spaces,although if I ever get stuck working on a van again I will try removing the seat,thanks for the advice.
you say your on the road next week.any ideas of where you are heading?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Senior User

"if I ever get stuck working on a van again I will try removing the seat,"
Remove the seat Fred, it's amazing on the right bank (1 to 5) I got them all except #1 from the cab, the left bank isn't any trouble at all except moving the darned harness.
On the right side you have to contend with the filler pipe to the transmission besides the harness.
If and when we get away we'll be heading to Calgary, running short on time because of whats left to do. Have to make a cover for the generator then get the food and my clothes in. Wife has her's loaded already.

Cheers
Willis
Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Elder User

sounds like a good way to spend some time,I'm not too sure where the wife and I are going this fall for a honey moon but its a road trip either way.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Canadian National Chapter > Nova Scotia Chapter

Tags
00, 1973, 1995, 302, 95, bank, engine, f100, f150, ford, job, kind, nova, oil, powered, put, scotia, type, vbulletin