Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Anybody want to go to John Wood?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 03:30 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Anybody want to go to John Wood?

I'll be traveling down to JW Transmission in Holtville, CA on a FRIDAY (John doesn't usually work on trannies on Friday's, but has agreed to do it because of my schedule)...which Friday for sure is not known yet, but may be a week from next Friday (on 6/12). As of now I plan on taking 395 South, but could as easily go down I-5. Straight through, no BS driving.

I'll be coming right back after the trannyectomy has occured. Anyway, I will leave Reno are about 3 AM on whatever Friday I go down there. If interested PM me.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:46 PM
gasgrunt88
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neal you wanna swing by and pick up a fellow devil dog? If so, I'm in.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:34 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by gasgrunt88
If I do a run with the BIG truck to the east coast I could...got parking for a 65' truck/reefer that will scream all night? BTW, I'm not a devil dog...but my older brother was. I do what I can for the Semper Fi Fund in his honor.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:15 PM
gasgrunt88
Elder User
If I do a run with the BIG truck to the east coast I could...got parking for a 65' truck/reefer that will scream all night? BTW, I'm not a devil dog...but my older brother was. I do what I can for the Semper Fi Fund in his honor. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
I'll make you some parking. Well you may not have been a Marine, but what you do is GREATLY appreciated, so here's to you.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gasgrunt88
I checked my map, and you're just a little further out of the way than I am. But I've easily got room for a reefer or two unless it's just rained a bunch.

Here's a bump back up so our left coast members get a chance to see this.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:44 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would at least meet you there and watch as he rebuilds your tranny, but I will be in Oregon on June 12th.
Gonna be HOT in Holtville.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
I'll be traveling down to JW Transmission in Holtville, CA on a FRIDAY (John doesn't usually work on trannies on Friday's, but has agreed to do it because of my schedule)...which Friday for sure is not known yet, but may be a week from next Friday (on 6/12). As of now I plan on taking 395 South, but could as easily go down I-5. Straight through, no BS driving.

I'll be coming right back after the trannyectomy has occured. Anyway, I will leave Reno are about 3 AM on whatever Friday I go down there. If interested PM me.
Neal, from my location here on the Monterey Peninsula, when I go down to JW's place, I take I-5 until I get to Bakersfield where I grab Highway 58 over to 395.

From there I take 395 south until I hit the interstate, following the interstate as it skirts the SoCal area on the northern perimeter, until I hit Indio where I grab Highway 86, taking you past the Salton Sea.

That route keeps you from hitting the heart of SoCal traffic, which is the fastest way to get to Holtville when traveling from NorCal.

Lemme know if you need a motel recommendation.

Stewart

Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I couldn't be much farther from JW than I am, but if you are coming to the Riffraff east event, can you bring a trans from there with you? If I was within a days driving distance from him, I'd have one in the truck already. Good luck with the swap! I'm jealous of you not having to ship it, and for having him actually do the installation.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:54 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, I remember all those highways Stewart mentioned when I was out there, been everywhere out there, really miss it. I would get my tranny done by JW just to have it rebuilt bullet proff and be done with it...

Old 06-04-2009, 12:25 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
As I said earlier, I will most likely go down from the east side on 395...I'll miss all the SoCal madness...it will be a blast across the desert (600 miles in 9 hours). John said there is little chance that I will need to stay over...he plans on finishing Friday, but if need be, he can line a place up for me and give me a truck to get there on Friday night.

Neal

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Neal, from my location here on the Monterey Peninsula, when I go down to JW's place, I take I-5 until I get to Bakersfield where I grab Highway 58 over to 395.

From there I take 395 south until I hit the interstate, following the interstate as it skirts the SoCal area on the northern perimeter, until I hit Indio where I grab Highway 86, taking you past the Salton Sea.

That route keeps you from hitting the heart of SoCal traffic, which is the fastest way to get to Holtville when traveling from NorCal.

Lemme know if you need a motel recommendation.

Stewart

Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
If your allowed Neal, take some pics....

Old 06-04-2009, 12:40 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by big poppa pump
If your allowed Neal, take some pics....
That's my plan Mike...

Old 06-04-2009, 12:44 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
That's my plan Mike...
Wished I lived closer, i'd take the trip, good luck..

Old 06-04-2009, 01:04 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
That route map you posted is how we'd like to go from Carson City to the RV Mecca "slab city" either this fall or next so let me know how easy of a tow that'd be for my new 40 footer?

Old 06-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
As I said earlier, I will most likely go down from the east side on 395...I'll miss all the SoCal madness...it will be a blast across the desert (600 miles in 9 hours). John said there is little chance that I will need to stay over...he plans on finishing Friday, but if need be, he can line a place up for me and give me a truck to get there on Friday night.

Neal
Yeah, when you mentioned I-5 though, I wasn't sure if you'd cut across the nothern edge of the SoCal madness (I like that term! LOL), cutting across to Indio.

With the distance you were traveling, I thought you'd go down the day before and stay the night, so you could get there bright and early Friday morning and not be bushed.

Stewart

Quick Reply: Anybody want to go to John Wood?