1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

turn signal and wipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:59 PM
cbass139
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turn signal and wipers

I am going to start the painting process this week but I want to do some research on the next two things I want to fix after the paint. Both are annoying little problems, the turn signals dont cancel and the wipers dont park. To do the turn signal I beleive I have to pull the stearing wheel. I took a look at it and my modern wheel puller will not work, any suggestions on getting it off and fixing the cancelation fiture? Also, what do I need to do to get the wipers to park in the bottom position when turned off instead of just stopping where ever I turn them off?

On a side note things that I have posted and been given advice on-

I found the bolt size (7/16th as suggested, 1 1/2") for the trans to bellhousing. The leak is almost gone but doesnt really bother me (it isnt even enough to drip). I bought the paint and will start that this wekend. The oil vent only "smokes" the amount that it is supposed to. The brakes a still a little soft after bleeding them multiple times and in many different fashions, I also replaced the shoes. I think that this is just that I am used to four wheel dish brakes on a light modern car (maybe?). Thank you to everybody who has helped so far and any that will help in the future

Old 06-03-2009, 03:27 PM
-Jim G
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would you please put some info on your truck into your user profile? And even better yet, start a gallery and post some pictures to it.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:35 PM
cbass139
Senior User
Jim, in my user profile is the vehicle info. It is a 1958 F100 with a 292 Y-block. There are also pictures in my gallery. I am not sure what more info you are looking for but I hope this will help, if there is something else to help me out I am more than happy to supply it.

Cbass

Old 06-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Try this for the wiper motor, to much for me to go through.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...earchid=907404

Old 06-03-2009, 04:02 PM
cbass139
Senior User
Old F1, I did the same search but could not find the info I was looking for. When I posted this I included it with other questions and I continue to look through the search. Thank you for the tip but as you said yourself "too much for me to go through", it is a bit overwhelming for me as well.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:11 PM
mostly52f1
Senior User
i believe i've seen julie answer both those questions no more than a few weeks ago lol.
i'm sure she'll be on tonight to answer them again

Old 06-03-2009, 04:40 PM
oldguy829
Junior User
turn signal and wipers

I'll let the pros answer your 2 questions, but about the brakes.
You may be right about the "feel". My buddy thinks my truck has no brakes, but to me it's fine. When I drive his truck I keep banging my head on the wheel. It is way to touchy for me, but right for him. Find a dirt road and see if you can lock them up. If you can't, you have more work to do.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
[QUOTE=mostly52f1;7571316]i believe i've seen julie answer both those questions no more than a few weeks ago lol. QUOTE]

Yep, that was the thread I was looking for!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 PM
cbass139
Senior User
Thanks guys, as far as the brakes go I will see if I can find a dirt road but may have to take a long ride seeing that I live in Chicago.
I did find some stuff on the wiper parking (some from Julie, thanks again) but realy dont know how to get that steering wheel off or where to get that type of puller.
Cant say thank you enough
Cbass

Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 PM
tuck1
Junior User
Old 06-03-2009, 10:34 PM
1959_f100
Senior User
are the windshield wipers suppost to stop were you turn them off? mine stop when i turn them off is that not normal.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You guys bust me up.

No, the wipers aren't supposed to stop when you turn them off, they are supposed to keep going until they reach the park position, then stop - tee hee.

Well, we at least got the lower speed to work on the wipers. Seems it was a wir enot connected. Ok so my question now is: did you plug the wire back into the LOW speed lug or possibly into the PARK lug? Hmmm good question huh.

It sound like your motor and switch are stock, so unless one of them is shot, th esystem should function if it is wired correctly. So, once again, I suggest you find a shop manual for your truck with a wiring diagram and make sure all your wires are in good condition, connected to the correct terminals on both the motor and switch, and make sure the connections are clean and tight. Lastly, it is possible the wiper arms have been replaced and were not installed in the correct position (park in the middle of the windshields. Worst case, the switch is shot.

As far as your signals cancelling on turns is concerned, the only way they will do that is if your signal switch is integrated into your steeing column - and on the 58 it should be (remember all us lowly Bonus Built folks have to turn them off our selves because we have a strap on type switch).

The cancelling feature is mechanical in nature - a camming type of action between the column and switch. I would venture to say your switch aparatus is worn out to the point where the camming action is gone, and Iwould buy a new signal switch. They are available at most of the parts resto places. I'd probably try Sac Vintage Ford for that one.

Let me know what you find when you look at the wipers and switch.

PS. Yep the same questions keep coming around and because th esearch is so bad now, no one can find the last discussion we had to reference - so we reinvent th ewheel.

I have reviewed all my posts and "saved to favorites" all th egood discussions we have had on many things. I have close to 50 of them stored for quick reference. So if you guys need something, where I have been part of the discussion, I probably have the link.

Here are the ones I have on wipers. You have to look through them because in some of them, we reference other useful links as well:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...er-wiring.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-question.html

These may be for Trucks a little earlier than yours but the theory is there along with the discussion.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:18 AM
cbass139
Senior User
Thank you for being so patient with all my little problems, I am getting used to how the search works and although it might not seem like it I have found a bunch of other questions with it. Some times it does seem easier to just through out a question then to sift through 100 random posts on a topic that might not be for your year or make and thus doesnt really answer your question. Especially when somebody like Julie or Numbers Dummy can give you such a straight forward answer to your exact question for your vehicle. Cant thank you guys enough, what did we do before the internet or better yet how long would this have taken me before the internet?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
LOL!!!!

No problem at all. That's why we are here to learn and pass on the stuff we know. You'll find that everyone has their own little area of expertise and is more than willing to share - the more you participate the more you learn. Old. Bill (Number Dummy) is a great example. Shoot, with close to 24K posts, on just part numbers, he's got th epatience of a saint. Off note, I hear he's doing very well with it. They actually let him out of the padded room more than once a day now for recreation!

I would estimate that out of my 2K posts, your question has been discussed at least 10 times. So the answer is here somewhere. That's kind of the way it works because the same things get funky, and guys have the same plans on conversions, etc.

Don't hesitate to ask. The questions we discuss for you will be answered the next time someone needs it too.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:43 AM
cbass139
Senior User
Ok, I read all of the steering wheel removal posts and did not want to ruin the wheel or anything else so I was not going to hit it with anything. I went out and got a good wheel puller (ie better then the one I had) and started in but of course I got to excited and torqued it down so it started to split the bolt top that it pushes on. Any suggestions or am I just screwed. And if it is the later where do I go from here.
I am editing this because I think I know the next step if there is no fix, purchase a new one at 150-200 bucks. I really hope that there is something else I can do, Like cut off the top 1/4 that split and continue to use.

Quick Reply: turn signal and wipers