1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Barnfresh41
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Problems

It has been a while since I have posted on this forum so here goes...

Ive recently acquired a 1949 ford f-1 with a flathead and 3 speed and I have steering problems. When I try to turn sharp to the right the steering wheel almost breaks your arm and is just really tight. Figured this all needed to be done anyway so I changed the Kingpins, tie rod ends, took apart the draglink, regreased it got a couple of new grease seals and put it back together. After a couple days in the garage and all of that work it is minimal change though it did help a tiny bit. Now my question is, it has to be the box right? so im gonna start off small and try adjusting it and see how that works out. My next question how do you adjust it?
Also, when I jack it up in the air and turn the wheel it feels great.

Please help, I wanna drive it

Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After you check your steering box check the drag link tube if I'm not mistaken tighten the end screw all the way in then back off 3/4 turn, if it's not tightened correctly it could account for jerks in the steering.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:37 PM
flatheadjohn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like more of an issue with the steering box itself rather than anything else but as far as adjustment goes I'm not quite sure what the proper procedure is. Do you have access to the shop manual for the 48 to 51 trucks?

Old 06-04-2009, 02:16 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Flathead John is right, you can read the adjustment procedure in the shop manual (page 201).

But basically, you disconnect the drag link, loosen the clamp on the steering tube under the dash (this being too tight could also be your problem) there is an adjusting screw on the box with a locking nut on it. You just loosen the nut, turn the screw counter clockwise to relieve the pressure on the gears, then test your steering tightness. The way it's described is you loosen the bolt just enough to prevent any dragging over the full throw of the steering in both directions. You would test it with a pull scale and it should take 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound to turnthe wheel. If it takes more, there is a shimming procedure described. If it's ok, then tighten the locking nut back down.