Sponsored by: DP Tuner

CCV filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 04:43 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CCV filter

has anyone used this from Stealth Automotive ??
CCV Mod

I would prefer a CCV with a filter but most are just darn expensive

Old 06-02-2009, 05:30 AM
King0581
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a fairly touchy subject. I have run my own version of a filter because i got tired of the oil fumes when I had the vent stopped right behind the transfercase. You have to be careful that you dont use nothing to restrictive when you run a filter setup. I had a piece that was too restrictive and it caused the truck to smoke like crazy. Luckily I found out what it was in time and didnt lose a seal or anything else. I had mine run into the can and returned to the factory location in the intake. It did work OK but I started to notice a little bit of oily residue around my IC boots so I decided to run it on to the rear of the truck. I probably could have just changed the filter material I was using more often or added another piece of it but I figured I would give running it out the back a try. I used some HVAC vent filters in mine. The rectangle ones thats you can put in your floor vent registers. You have to be careful with this also because you cant get a nice downward flow to keep oil from puddling up in the line, which will stop it up and the more hose you run the more pressure you get.(when running it out the back) I have since just ran mine out to the back of my truck next to the exhaust and the fumes dont get to the cab as bad and I just check it every so often to make sure there is no clogs. Now having said all this here is where I got my idea for the catch can.>Welcome to guzzle's CCV Mod Web Page Here is a picture of the setup I had. Hope this info helps. I'm trying to talk you out of it or into it, just throwing out the info I have gathered.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:23 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Nice post Lee

Yes . its the back pressure thing Im worried about. I can only find four with filters
1st is the Guzzles set up then there is DB Diesel which is way to expensive then there is Racor CCV3550. The Racor one has caused a few leaking issues with some but not all. Finally the one from Stealth. But they cant give me the information I want over the net cause the patent is still pending. All you get is the filter and some elbows, you have to supply the rest.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW, here's my homemade setup: Click Me

Old 06-02-2009, 07:41 AM
King0581
Posting Guru
I made mine out PVC pipe which I'm sure you can tell from the pic. I may have had $25 in it. I ran it for a year or better. If I leave my set up like I have it now I need to put some kind of drain in one low spot in my line. I would drain my old setup everytime I changed my oil and woud get a fair amount of oil out of it. I feel that adding a couple more pieces of the vent filters in it wouldve really helped but I just figured I'd try it like this for awhile. From what ive gathered, the only proper way to know if your not getting a positive crank case pressure is to put a gauge on the engine to check it. I guess you could say I've been living dangerously....

Old 06-02-2009, 08:02 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
both me and my father-in-law run that setup from NCHORNET. he makes a good ccv kit. you just have to buy the hose and the clamps and the reason for that is so many guys want to use different kinds of hose anyway he just leaves that part out so you can use what YOU want and it keeps the price of his kits down. youll need about 16 feet of whatever hose you want to use and the worm clamps. its worth the 99 bucks that stealth now charges. i actually bought mine from him about a year ago before stealth was selling them for him. try it out you wont be disappointed. if you want ill go get a pic of it on the truck.....

Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Also Clay at Riffraff performance has kits too, check him out also. He Chris, I just got a new driveway so I,m doing a homemade trap since I have all the plumbing..can't have any drips, it looks to nice now..

Old 06-02-2009, 09:58 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
NCHornet is a member of FTE. You can PM him if you have any questions about the CCV mod for Stealth Automotive. It's pretty much his setup they're selling.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Centauro97
Junior User
The BD Diesel kit is rather expensive but you get a really well thought through kit that mounts nicely and includes all necessary parts.

The hoses are configured to mount nice a neatly, the heat shield helps protect the filter, it even includes new O-rings for the valve cover adapter.

Combine that install with a new intake system and you kill two birds with one stone.

Plus you get the peace of mind that you're maintaining proper ventilation and vacuum through the system. Just some info for consideration.

David

Old 06-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa pump
Also Clay at Riffraff performance has kits too, check him out also. He Chris, I just got a new driveway so I,m doing a homemade trap since I have all the plumbing..can't have any drips, it looks to nice now..
Right on Mike. I need a new driveway myself but ain't gonna happen soon.

NCHornet's kit is actually my inspiration also. I first saw his when I lurked around way back when on TDS.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Does the one from stealth vent back into the air intake or do you run it out the back. If its out to the atmosphere, do you get the smell ??

Old 06-02-2009, 07:59 PM
gasgrunt88
Elder User
Not trying to but Mike what kind of driveway did you get? I used to be a concrete mason and I did finishing so I could have helped ya out. Probably should have main that known before haha...

Old 06-02-2009, 08:21 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
Does the one from stealth vent back into the air intake or do you run it out the back. If its out to the atmosphere, do you get the smell ??
it goes back into the intake. thats why you need the 16 feet of hose. from the ccv to the canister then back up to the intake......

Old 06-02-2009, 08:33 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gasgrunt88
Not trying to but Mike what kind of driveway did you get? I used to be a concrete mason and I did finishing so I could have helped ya out. Probably should have main that known before haha...
Black top, couldn't even imagine the cost of a concrete drive, its close to 120 feet long by 60 feet towards the back near the garages, ouch. Thanks tho. HI-JACK sorry guys. Back to you regular scheduled program.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
FWIW, here's my homemade setup: Click Me
I looked at Chris's and Guzzles and used a combination of both and I really like it, ran it back a little past the rear end and I haven't smelled it yet.

Quick Reply: CCV filter