1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Towing w/ 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:55 PM
itcametopass
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing w/ 4.2

I have a '97 with a newer '03 engine w/ 35K mi. on it. My question is what do i need to do to make sure it keeps plenty cool if I'm towing up to 7K # trailer.

Thanks Guys

Old 06-01-2009, 06:56 PM
n5926g
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 4.2 is NOT a powerhouse,I personally love my 97 with the 4.2 automatic,but it does lack power under certain situations....My suggestion is to get a good quality Tranny cooler installed,and unless on a straight stretch keep it out of O/D.If it starts "hunting"...going between 3rd,and o/d..its having a hard time.......I am of course "assuming" that you have a automatic.........
BTW..If no one has made the statement.Let me be the first..Welcome to our world!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:51 PM
itcametopass
New User
I was thinking an add on tranny cooler along with an oil cooler. I know that it is not any kind of powerhouse, but I want to make sure it will not overheat. I've read here if the tranny starts to hunt to drop the overdrive out of overdrive. Thanks

Old 06-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Mind telling us what kind of 7,000 lb trailer you're yankin'?

If you are towing an open or flatbed trailer, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Hill starts will be extremely difficult, but once you get it moving, it should do okay. If you are considering an RV that big, I seriously urge you to reconsider. The 4.2 will not be able to maintain highway speeds with something that large, even up the slightest inclines. Wind resistance will be the killer here, and you'll likely spend most of your time at 45-50 MPH near redline in second gear. Not good for the engine, much worse for the transmission!

Frontal area often means more than trailer weight, until it comes to pulling hills. You're not likely to overheat the engine just from pulling, unless you are pulling long hills at high altitudes. I'd invest in a large tranny cooler if it were me.

Also, if your trailer has electric brakes you will need a brake controller. If it has surge brakes you won't need much of anything. Regardless, a trailer that size NEEDS BRAKES, so make sure your truck is equipped to use them!

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2009, 01:07 PM
itcametopass
New User
Looking at an RV. 7K would be the absolute max. I'm shooting for one that is in the 4K range, but depends on what I find for the $$. In the past, I've towed a 8K# 20' enclosed trailer with a 4 runner with a 3.0L. (Flat was fine, struggled up the hills) I understand that up a grade of any significance it is going to be slow going, but I wanted to make sure it isn't going to damage anything as long as I keep an eye on the gagues. I am going to have to use what I have until I can get a more powerful tow truck. I've got a friend that is building an inline 6, 300ci for pulling a camper in that size range. It does have a little more ci, but the V-6's seem pretty bullet proof once the gasket issue was resolved.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:09 PM
itcametopass
New User
And Yes, a brake controller is a MUST HAVE. I will not be going anywhere without one.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Good to see you've done your homework!

The engine will be fine as long as you keep an eye on your gauges. Might be worth installing a tranny temp gauge, though. Extra tranny cooling would be a must for this kind of tow!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not worry about an oil cooler. Ford has some of the best stock engine cooling systems if kept maintained properly. For a trans cooler, I recommend B&M coolers. They work extremely well, they have built in low temp bypass, and they are small enough to fit just about anywhere. I run one on my van, and going in OD up a 6% grade at 80 mph only gets the trans temp up to 150 on a '95 Aerostar. Get the largest cooler that is practical. B&M uses a stacked plate design that is rugged and damage resistant and I can vouch for them. got mine from summit.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:24 PM
dantsg
Senior User
I was wondering the same about transmission coolers. I am going to drive from Miami to New York city and then pull a U-Haul back with my daughter's furniture and misc. I'm adding a cooler B&M.