Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 XLT Steering Column is Loose and Catching

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:54 AM
ChristopherBarnette
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 XLT Steering Column is Loose and Catching

Hi, I did a search and didn’t turn up a direct answer to my dilemma. Please point me towards the thread if there is already one that would help me.

I have a 1995 XLT with an auto trans, tilt-steering, and cruise-control steering column. With more than a decade of us heavy folks using the steering wheel as a handle to pull ourselves up into the truck, the steering column has gotten pretty loose. At first it was no worse than squeaks and clicks while turning, but now the wheel has started to catch while turning. The catch is similar to the way the wheel locks when you have the key turned to off and try to turn the wheel from side to side. When it happens, I can usually just a apply a little more pressure while turning and overcome the snag, but it is getting frequent and I’m getting worried that it is dangerous to drive in this condition.

The column has a lot of wobble (left/right, up/down) so I’m guessing that a bearing or bushing around the shaft has blown out. The tilt function still operates and is smooth and tight, so again I’m guessing that the problem is in front of the tilt (joint?).

Is there anybody with experience of the guts of the column that might point me to where the problem lies? I’d also appreciate an appraisal of how involved the fix might be. I have pretty solid mechanical skills, but since this is my daily driver, I’d like a little bit of advice before I tear into the column and put my truck out of commission.

Cliff Notes:

1. 1995 XLT w/302, AT, power steering, tilt-column, cruise-control.
2. Steering shaft is wobbly inside of column (an 3/4 inch or so of travel at the wheel in all directions).
3. Tilt operates smoothly and is tight.
4. Steering wheel has started to catch while turning.
5. I suspect a bad bearing/bushing on cabin-facing side of tilt.
6. If I’m wrong, what do you think it is? If I’m right, how do I fix it?

Thanks all.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:44 AM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
Sounds like the bearing is bad. Check this link for direction. here is the part #F6AZ-3605-AA
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-bearings.html

Old 06-01-2009, 11:03 AM
ChristopherBarnette
New User
Thanks so much, sounds like that is what I need. I guess I didn't search hard enough.

Question:

Can the upper bearings be replaced with the column in-vehicle, or will I need to pull the whole thing? I'd like to avoid pulling the column if possible, but I can understand if it's necessary.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:09 PM
95 F150 Dude
Senior User
I just replaced my whole column last week because mine was totally worn out. At 308K miles the tilt still worked but there was a good 1" of play up and down and side to side. I ended up buying a complete unit on ebay for $125.00 and installing it myself in about an hour and a half. I'm no expert mechanic by any means and I had no issues except not tightening the electrical connection enough the first go around. BTW, there are no special tools needed.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:40 PM
ChristopherBarnette
New User
I suspected that a more economical and less labor intensive solution would be to swap the entire column with one from the salvage yard. Did your old key cylinder/ignition swap in to the salvage column or did you need it's keys?

Old 06-01-2009, 02:46 PM
95 F150 Dude
Senior User
I used the old keyand switch by taking a 1/8" drill bit and inserting it into the hole located underneath the switch. You will need to remove the black plastic cover to find it. Turn the ignition back and forth until the whole switch pops out and then insert the old switch into the new column. Be fore warned that the salvage yard will charge more than $125.00. Good luck and if you need help let us know.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:38 PM
ChristopherBarnette
New User
Thanks 95 F150 Dude,

I called the dealership. The kit referenced by westtntrucker is $73, but the parts guy says they have done a lot of bearing replacements for this model's steering column and they have never had to order that kit, most places don't even stock it. He said the two $7 bearings and a couple of other bits would be enough.

He also said that I should not have to pull the column to replace this upper bearing set, can anyone who has performed this operation vouch for this?

Old 07-16-2021, 01:06 AM
Fix it or loose it
New User
Originally Posted by ChristopherBarnette
Thanks 95 F150 Dude,

I called the dealership. The kit referenced by westtntrucker is $73, but the parts guy says they have done a lot of bearing replacements for this model's steering column and they have never had to order that kit, most places don't even stock it. He said the two $7 bearings and a couple of other bits would be enough.

He also said that I should not have to pull the column to replace this upper bearing set, can anyone who has performed this operation vouch for this?
I just got mine apart to replace the bearing. If you know that only the very top bearing is shot, you might be able to replace it without removing the column but if you want to see what shape the center one is in, you have to pull the column to get the front bearing housing off of the main column. My center bearing was OK but there was really no way to know without looking at it and due to the amount of metal filings from the upper one that fell into the column, I wanted to be sure since I was in that far.