Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

FMC351 - Ford Falcon ute gets a 6.8l V10

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:29 PM
FMC351
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FMC351 - Ford Falcon ute gets a 6.8l V10

Hi all, well I have been peppering my pics and info all over this forum, so I thought I would stick to tech stuff where it should and the project updates can go in here...I am guessing thats they way it's supposed to be!

I am a mod on an Australian Ute forum if anyone would like to have a look simply ask, but I won't go posting links without permission first.

Well, my name is Ben, I bought this 1978 Falcon a few years ago, was very happy with it.

This build has taken about 2 years to get this far.

Drive line was a 351 Cleveland, C4 auto, 9" with 4:11 gears, nice clean street ride, just what I like. Best 1/4 time was a high 12 in my possesion, but the last owner claimed a mid 12.

I loved racing it and showing it, but I noticed it was starting to blow by a bit and was in need of a freshen up, what began as a set of rings, 1 piston and bearings sorta got way out of control!

My Clevo was already 40 thou oversize and the blow by was coming from a fried piston land, which had scored no8 bore, so my block was scrapped. Finding a new one is not easy, so I started to look at other drive loine options.

I was keen on a crate Windsor conversion, but then kind of staggered over this V10...."Hello" I say and spend a considerable amount of time researching them. Something very left field here and so I ttok the plunge and dived in "bite off more than you can chew then chew like hell" they say!

Found one, imported it and it now sits between the rails, but now (as expected) the conversion monster is rearing it's head! I have a few idea's of what I want the end product to look like and that is not really helping me either!

In the begining.

A few years I keep up the mantenance and it got a work out over week or three.

Then the engine needed a freshen up, and I found some rust hidden under the tray floor, after much deliberation the decision to re-build was made and work began. (I have done all the work myself in my own shed)

Rust as work began

The front end is also getting complete overhaul, with the old Cleveland coming out, steering, suspension and brakes all getting upgraded (slowly!)

See what I mean by out of control!

The the egine arrived, I was happy, but dang these things are BIG!

and the day before my second son was born my 4 link and new rear chassis arrived.

So finally the egine found it's way into my "clearanced" engine bay!

Once I have the transmission sorted (a C4 with a mod conversion bell housing) I will have my spacing sorted and can mount the engine.

The planned front suspension upgrade is coil over shocks with a "hot rod" style tubular suspension wiht a rack and pinion set up replacing the old reculating ball steering box.

Things got drastic down the back to make way for the new chassis rails and to remove the old rust.

Sills were plated before the rails were tacked into place

I think that is the latest of photo's I have, but since these have been taken I have almost completed the rear set up with the exclusion of the sheet metal work, but the diff is complete, the center is in, axles, wheels and sitting under it's own weight.

I am currently saving for the front suspension and brake package while trying to sort out the engine and managment.

So the final product I am looking at is planned in two stages.

Stage one is to complete the body, fibreglass tilt front, 4 link, flat floor, upgraded steering suspension and brakes, N/A V10, C4 full manual, re-spray. and have a bit of fun with it.

Stage 2 includes a forged low compression build of the motor with some quality parts, then adding 2 remote mount turbos' behind the cabin before the diff and wind up the wick a bit and see what I can get out of it. We did have a bloke here that did a mustang conversion with a 2V some time ago and super charged it and was in the area of 800RWHP, I would be happy with over 500 but it shows it can be done, in a light ute like mine should make for lots of fun

Thanks for reading, all comments welcome.

Cheers Ben

Old 05-31-2009, 10:41 PM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
WICKED! One suggestion would be a 03 - 08 Crown Victoria front suspension conversion
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-1959-s-b.html

Old 06-14-2009, 01:31 PM
modularF100
Senior User
Australia got all the cool stuff! Love the color of the car too!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:22 PM
mercman86
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very cool car!! Keep up the good work!

Old 06-21-2009, 06:30 AM
bigunred
Elder User
That is one bad ride, keep up the great job.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:24 AM
Mccannic
New User
I want to do similar to this.

I've just started trying to get the ducks in a row to do this with an XB Falcon Landau coupe which is probably one of Australia's rarest muscle cars.

I love the idea of the Ute though, far lighter and heaps more room for rubber.

Cheers Mate, great job.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:29 AM
Mccannic
New User
Originally Posted by modularF100
Australia got all the cool stuff! Love the color of the car too!
Hardly, an F150 or 250 over here is over $150,000 for a low mile Import RHD converted, a new one is over $200k.

Even a ratty old truck that you pick up in the US for a few grand will cost well over $10 to $20k over here and then still needs conversion.

Aussie Delivered 70's and 80's model F series go for a minimum of a few grand for something that is more rust than steel through to $20k for a decent one.

And that's just F series stuff, you guys have got everything over there in abundance and cheap fuel to match, fuel over here is about $6 per Gallon as well.