6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 has started surging at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 03:55 PM
StoneZone
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 has started surging at idle

Hi,

Just bought a 2006 F250 with 6.0. A week or so ago, it surged once at idle at a lighht. Sort of felt like someone bumped into your rear. It has gotten more frequent over the last week or so. Now it does it often. It tends to rev up and then back down again over and over. Then it will clear up again. My brother said his 7.3 used to have a similar problem (as did quite a few others apprently) and it was the Cam positioning sensor (CPS).

Anyone hear of this on the 6.0?

If so, where is it located?

Thanks for the help.

Greg

Old 05-31-2009, 04:06 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE.
The 7.3 and the 6.0 are two completely different engine, thee is no way to compare one's problem to an other.
The most common idle jumping cause is ICP sensor, but most likely on 03-04 trucks, but it doesn't mean you cant have the same problem on an 06. Try to pull some trouble codes, it will help a lot. It does seem like you have some kind of sensor problem, so you should have a code....

Old 05-31-2009, 06:45 PM
StoneZone
New User
6.0 Surge at Idle

Thanks,

I will try to pull some codes.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:22 PM
StoneZone
New User
ICP Sensor Location?

Does anyone know the location of the ICP sensor on a 2006 6.0? Perhaps a pic?

Took the truck to AutoZone to read the codes. Nothing showed. Said PASS.

They suggested EGR or EGR position sensor. Also possibility of water in fuel, and to drain it (they did not know where it was on a 6.0). Seems to me that water would cause constant rough running and surging.

I am new to diesels and not familiar with the engine yet. I had a dodge V-10 before, but I could never get past the gas stations.

Thanks for the help...
GS

Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ICP sensor is located on the passenger side valve cover toward the front of the cover.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:23 PM
jboczar
Senior User
Greg,

Ford diesel mechanic here, best bet is to wait until vehicle is surging and then while running unplug icp sensor. It will set ck eng light but if vehicle smooths out then that is your problem. However, since its a 2006 then as long as your under 100000 miles then the diesel warranty covers it. Hope this helps.

Justin

Old 06-01-2009, 12:30 AM
StoneZone
New User
ICP Sensor

Thanks to both of you. I will check that out when it occurs next time. it is happening more frequently now.

The truck has 59000 miles so should be under warranty if that is the problem.

GS

Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Keep us posted as to the diagnosis.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:32 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a thread I started last summer, and it sounds a little bit like what your talking about:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ring-idle.html

I see that "Flobber" has deleted the video on YouTube, which is a bummer. For the record, it was my ICP, which was replaced under warranty my truck to idle rough. I need to break down and get a code reader for my tool kit I keep in the truck; the tech plugged into the OBD port when I dropped the truck off and the only code showing was for the ICP. I haven't had an issue with the truck since.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:26 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jboczar
Greg,

Ford diesel mechanic here, best bet is to wait until vehicle is surging and then while running unplug icp sensor. It will set ck eng light but if vehicle smooths out then that is your problem. However, since its a 2006 then as long as your under 100000 miles then the diesel warranty covers it. Hope this helps.

Justin
is there any truth to the cycling of the vgt turbo blades?
mine seems to "surge" a little bit sometimes at idle . but i always thought that was a built in strategy for preventing sticking vgt vanes

Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The latest flash makes your turbo vanes moving at idle for prevent sticking, but id does not affect your idle at all. You shouldn't have surging from it.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:10 PM
jboczar
Senior User
None of them should surge at idle for any reason, 9 times out of 10 it is the icp sensor. The computer is using this sensor to know how much pressure is pushing on injectors to open them and thus it adjusts the fuel pulse width accordingly. Early build 2003's have a weird programming where the vanes molve to learn positions however this does not change the rpms only back pressure. If you listen for it you can hear it but you really have to be listening for it. But like I said that was only early build 2003's, anything later than that has normal programming where the vanes don't move until boost is required. Hope this helps but if you are under warranty then let ford pay for it and trust me, we mechanics can always use the business.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:09 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by StoneZone
Thanks to both of you. I will check that out when it occurs next time. it is happening more frequently now.

The truck has 59000 miles so should be under warranty if that is the problem.

GS
An indication the ICP is failing is oil in the connector. After I changed mine, I cut the bad one apart to see what failed. The internal O ring flattens and over time allows oil to get to the connector pins. Some guys replaced the ICP wire harness connector when they replace the sensor. I just used a spray degreaser on my connector when I replaced the ICP.

DSMMH

Old 06-03-2009, 02:00 PM
2004 F-250 PSD
Freshman User
Hello,

Sounds like the same issue My '04 had. It was the ICP sensor and oil pump was bad too.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:05 PM
StoneZone
New User
ICP Sensor Troubleshoot - It happened

Folks,

First, thanks for all of your replies.

After jboczar posted the method about unhooking the wiring harness from the sensor when it happens, I made sure I could get it undone and carried a screwdriver with me to flip the safety catch. Of course then it did not happen until today just as I was pullin intp the driveway.

It was running rough and surging until I pulled the harness off. It then smoother out at idle.

Therefore, I am going to go get a new one and see what happens.

I will let you know.

Greg

Quick Reply: 6.0 has started surging at idle