need some expert help

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:56 PM
luv2huntnfish
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some expert help

I know this doesn't belong here in a truck forum but I'm having problems with tranny in my car (2000 contour) and I don't know where to turn. This has cost me a fortune and still having problems.Anyone willing to help out would be appreciated. Probably shouldn't discuss it here my e-mail address is 3hamiltons@tds.net if anyone is willing to cantact me. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:10 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Those fortunes, did they buy a warranty along with the trouble?

DIY or drunken brother-in-law repair jobs have their drawbacks. Perhaps you should find a good auto trans shop, if such a thing exists in your area.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:18 AM
johnboy427
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think any one will care if you post it here, whats the problem? You may not find many people with front wheel drive transaxle knowledge because they were never used in trucks but I have seen other people post car problems here before and it didn't cause any trouble.
-Johnboy

Old 06-01-2009, 12:27 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Originally Posted by johnboy427
I don't think any one will care if you post it here, whats the problem? You may not find many people with front wheel drive transaxle knowledge because they were never used in trucks but I have seen other people post car problems here before and it didn't cause any trouble.
-Johnboy
What he said. There are techs here that work on these and others with this particular vehicle. Good luck.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:00 AM
luv2huntnfish
Junior User
Ok gonna be long. Problem started with o/d light blinking & hard shift. Tech. said it needed new converter.Cost $1,020.00. Ran fine for months then when you would coast and step on gas was like car was in neutral. Only D & OD other gears were still there.Could put car in neutral turn off key and recrank and it would shift fine until you coast down a hill same problem again. Tech said the computer wasn't giving any trouble codes thought it was some kind of switch that sits near manifold. $128.00 more dollars. Worked good for a week same problem. Still no trouble codes. Tech said he thought it was the drive servo. Replaced servo piston,servo spring,new forward friction plates,solenoid pk. Tech drove car still same problem. Replaced input turbine sensor.$850.00 more. Drove car for 2 weeks seem to shift fine except that 1-2 shift is a bit hard at times. Yesterday o/d light started flashing again. When it flashes you can turn key off and restart the problem goes away for a while. Did it 2 times on my wife in a 50 mile trip. I drove the same 50 mile trip no problems. This tech has been in business for a long time and it really has him stumped. Not a lot of options as far as tranny shops around here. Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:53 AM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
If that light is flashing then there is a code, its in there somewhere. Sometimes I have to switch the scanner to generic mode to retrieve them.

That transmission is called a CD4E, it is a problematic transmission, people in the industry call it a CB4ME (come back for me) because of the amount of problems this unit tends to have.

The only time I have seen coasting problems with this transmission it has been the solenoid blocks. If in fact it is not setting any codes and the light is flashing I would think its the PCM, but its not likely.

If it was here I would want to monitor the PCM signals coming and going to the PCM, I even have a box that I can put between the trans and computer to watch the signals, it will also allow me take control of the transmission to see if the problem is the PCM or the trans. This should be the next question that needs to be answered to help trouble shoot the complaint with the car.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 PM
luv2huntnfish
Junior User
Thanks for the input. Not sure what he uses to look for codes. I had it at another shop the first time around and the mechanic had a device like you are talking about. He put it on and drove it a couple of days and it told him it was slipping in 2 & 3. That shop doesn't do tranny repair so I took it to a tranny shop thats when he replaced the convertor. Was fine for 10 months then the coasting problem started. What about AANCO tranny shops? Are they any good ? I have one of those about 75 miles from me. Only one local independent shop near me.I've drove it a couple hundred miles since the light last blinked with no problem but it has got to the point that I don't trust it.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:42 PM
luv2huntnfish
Junior User
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Those fortunes, did they buy a warranty along with the trouble?

DIY or drunken brother-in-law repair jobs have their drawbacks. Perhaps you should find a good auto trans shop, if such a thing exists in your area.
I'm 42 yrs old and this guy has been working on trannys as long as I can remember. He is NOT a backyard mechanic.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:53 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I would really advise against taking your car to aamco. They have a very poor reputation.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:39 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Well I have taken a couple of different vehicles to AAMCO for rebuilds. They did a good job, just get a warranty. My local one here did really good and I had one done in Indy that was really good.

Also something to consider is the codes, some are generic and some are Ford specific so he needs to be able to read the Ford codes.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by luv2huntnfish
What about AANCO tranny shops? Are they any good ? I have one of those about 75 miles from me. Only one local independent shop near me.I've drove it a couple hundred miles since the light last blinked with no problem but it has got to the point that I don't trust it.

A shop is only as good as its employees and technicians.

Half of the best transmission technicians that I know work for a AAmco the others work for themselves.