Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is it John Wood tranny time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:53 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Is it John Wood tranny time?

Sorry I have been out of the loop for quite some time. Between driving nights and teaching days, I am too busy to do much of anything...So I have a question for those who know a little something about the 4R100 tranny in these trucks (come on up Mark Kovalsky ).

Last night my son calls and he is broke down in a friends car about 20 miles away. I hop in the truck and go to pull the car to a friends house and bring my son home. Anyway, grabbed that Honda and naturally pulled it like it wasn't there.

At the friends house, I have to back my truck up to get enough slack in the chain to unhook it from the vehicles. When I go to backup, reverse engages but it doesn't really "want" to move backward. I give it more fuel and it moves, but doesn't feel right ...

I drive the truck forward and it shifts normally and feels just as it always has. It is just reverse which is not acting correct ...needs more fuel to make it move, almost like a badly worn clutch in a manual transmission vehicle.

So am I onto the beginning of the end of the tranny or is there a few things I could check before I drive down to Holtville to see John Wood? Tranny has never overheated, has auxillary cooling and filtration.

As usual, thanks for any hints, help, or advice! OT, but I just bought a 2009 VW TDI Sportwagon w/ six-speed stick, panorama roof (man that glass roof is beautiful), and every option known to man...got 50.5 mpg from the dealer to my house (relatively flat ground for 35 miles).

Old 05-30-2009, 03:36 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
O.K. Neal, here's the thing. My truck started acting just like that before my tranny went. The nice thing about JW is his super reasonable shipping prices. I'm talking it was only about a buck and quarter to Vegas, and same thing on the return of the core, Which by the way he does'nt charge you for, he just trusts you to return it. I initially had wished I could go th Holtville and have er done, but John made the process of doing the swap as easy as pie. My suggestion is Call him ASAP to get your name on the board because when I ordered mine two months ago it was only a two week wait time. When I called him to return the core his answering machine said he is super busy right now so the wait time may be longer. If your sure your going to buy a Wood tranny have him put your name on the board so you get your place in line.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:48 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
That is what I thought might be the reply to the tranny problem...I'll see what others post and if there is some consensus to the problem, I will call JW on Monday morning. I'll definitely drive down there to get the work done. I trust no one up here to do the work and my wife will no longer allow me to roll around under a truck for a few days (it beats the h*(&l out of me anymore). Are JW's prices ($4200-$7200) including installation or is that extra ?

Old 05-30-2009, 03:50 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here's the link to his website: John Wood Automotive - Home his Towmaster starts at $3400

Old 05-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Neal, I am sure you will love John and his tranny. I have talked to him several times and can't believe all of the knowledge and experience he has to offer. He doesn't charge for install and more than likely the tow master is more than enough for your needs.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:10 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good Luck Neil Keep us posted

Old 05-30-2009, 08:20 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since your closer to him then most Neal I wouldn't question it a bit and go ahead and get his tranny before its too late if you can find the time.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:16 PM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be a good idea to drain the fluid and pull the pan to check for parts (if you can read a part number on the piece, it is serious) and other clues. What you find may discourage you from driving very far.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by JockD
It would be a good idea to drain the fluid and pull the pan to check for parts (if you can read a part number on the piece, it is serious) and other clues. What you find may discourage you from driving very far.
That is exactly what I did yesterday...fluid nice and red, absolutely nothing in pan. Cut external screw-on Baldwin filter in half, no debris in it . If you drove my truck you would not know there was any problem until you tried to back up. No other symptoms, no warning...just now it doesn't like moving in reverse . I emailed John Wood yesterday and plan on calling him tomorrow for his advice. I see an overnight trip to Holtville, CA in my future, sooner rather than later.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
Sounds to me like it is time for a tranny.
Congrats on the Jetta!

Old 05-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
So am I onto the beginning of the end of the tranny or is there a few things I could check before I drive down to Holtville to see John Wood?
Neal, who cares!!!! LOL, you have the perfect excuse...errrr, reason to drive to JW's place and get one of his built beauty's!!

Man, when Jody came to California for live tuning, first at JW's place then on to Joey's place (Terminator Engineering) in Modesto, I used it as an excuse to drive the almost 9 hour trip to Holtville, even though Modesto is just over 2 hours away from me.

John is a great guy and shares his knowledge with everyone.

You'll love your trip down there.

Lemme know if you need any motel recommendations. I stayed at a really clean one for a great price in El Centro the last time I went down there.

It's flippin hot down there right now. When I talked to him last week, JW was coming in really early, working until it got too freaking hot, then he stops wrenching and starts returning phone calls. So when you call on Monday, expect a return call after 2ish.

Stewart