Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

TENNESSEE June Chat thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:30 PM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL. I wasn't insinuating that your were a traitor. But, just pointing out that you posted a pic of a chebby.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nah - I posted a pic of COUNTRY!!!

Go figure:
Corn, punkins, squash, tomaters, peppers, and the next door neighbors chevy rusting in the weeds.....

All that was missing was the fireflies!

*I always said I was a non-denominational mechanic, but some things are just plain funny! When you can't fix a chevvy you might as well ride a bicycle.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by thumper869
wouldn't that kinda be like sleepin with a book on your head instead of reading it? how are crops doin across the state? we had some really good hay this year from all the rain and sure glad to have a break from the rain couple weeks ago so we could cut and bale.
Hay is easy - just let the weeds and Johnson Grass grow.....

If you want to have a good ole time - try to stop them and grow something ELSE around here....

Not to rain on your parade and everthang, but hayfields nearby are the BANE of gardeners.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:15 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
We raised Coastal Bermuda for hay on my farm. It didn't have any weeds after the first cutting. We sprayed brush poison on any Johnson grass that ever grew on the farm. our hay fields had crimson clover in them every spring but it was to fertilize the soil more than a hay crop. Coastal doesn't have seeds so it doesn't get into peoples gardens. It sure sells good to horse farmers. At one time we had about 40 acres of real good coastal hayfields. We had horse farmers that bought it every year. I liked it when they picked it up in the field.Every bale they hauled was one I didn't have to pick up.You ain't worked hard unless you have hauled hay.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:08 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lariat97
We raised Coastal Bermuda for hay on my farm. It didn't have any weeds after the first cutting. We sprayed brush poison on any Johnson grass that ever grew on the farm. our hay fields had crimson clover in them every spring but it was to fertilize the soil more than a hay crop. Coastal doesn't have seeds so it doesn't get into peoples gardens. It sure sells good to horse farmers. At one time we had about 40 acres of real good coastal hayfields. We had horse farmers that bought it every year. I liked it when they picked it up in the field.Every bale they hauled was one I didn't have to pick up.You ain't worked hard unless you have hauled hay.
I didn't realize y'all could grow coastal this far north. That's what my grandma uses down in South Texas and we were able to get some of it in Northeast Texas, but I didn't know people up here grew it.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:24 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
The farm I raised coastal on was in northwest La. We planted it in our best bottom land. It made lots of hay in a good year. Your right about growing coastal in Tn. Its too cold in the winter for it My hay fields are planted in pine forest now. They will be cut the first time in about 3 yrs. They grew fast in those bottoms. The new hybrid pines grow to first cutting in 15 yrs or less

Old 06-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
HAY fields around here (Tipton County/West TN) are predominantly Johnson grass - and though I hate that stuff bitterly and am at war with the stuff that persists around my place I have no real right to complain. Where my house is right now was once a very large farm with hay all over it, so it was here first.

I do wish that stuff was never imported, but the same can be said for Kudzu.

Is it any wonder US Customs are so picky anymore? A lot of the real bright ideas from long ago turned out to be problems later on.

THORN TREES though - now there is something that makes my eyes glow red and my fangs and claws show! I sawed down three of them today from a root that spread from a tree I felled eight freaking years ago. They popped up between my foundation and air conditioner slab... As far as THORN is concerned: CHEMICAL WARFARE IS AUTHORIZED!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:01 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
My biggest grass problem is Bermuda. I try to make it grow in the yard with the garden.It runs under my timbers around my beds & is tough to get out of the bed once it gets some roots growing. I spray my beds with roundup before I plant but the Bermuda hasn't sprouted when I do it. My garden is finally starting to grow. It was just to cold & cloudy the first few weeks. I have green tomatoes on my plants & blooms on my squash & peppers.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:34 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lariat97
I spray my beds with roundup before I plant but the Bermuda hasn't sprouted when I do it.
You really need to spray Bermuda when it starts to come up or when it starts to get green again. Problem with spraying it with roundup on that type of time table, depending on the roundup you use, you might have to hold off planting for 4 months as some of the roundup concentrate is pretty persistent.

Originally Posted by Greywolf
I do wish that stuff was never imported, but the same can be said for Kudzu.
I will give Kudzu credit though, it does exactly what it was brought over here to do.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:46 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Your right Tex. The kudzu stops erosion real good. The roundup I use says to wait 2 weeks after use to plant. I just fight the Bermuda since it starts growing after I plant. I want it to grow in the yard so I'll just live with it.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by tex25025
I will give Kudzu credit though, it does exactly what it was brought over here to do.
I'm assuming deforestation is one of those purposes....

On a lighter side - I have buds on several peppers, the zuchini, and pumkins already. The Thai Hots are producing their first pepper!!!

It's almost like seeing babies or puppies being born.....

I also picked up a tool I have never used before - a "WEED HOOK" to use in the corn rows. I knew what it was when I saw it. The man at the counter of the store confirmed what I thought....