1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Gennie and AOD

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:32 PM
austin2466
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gennie and AOD

Anybody try to run the Gennie lo stik on an AOD? I'm having trouble getting it to hit Low or if I start at the other end it wont hit park. I read the instructions and have been talking to them throughout the install. They are trying to help but I don't think the sales people have actually done one of the AOD.s I already flipped the shifter arm 180. Anybody?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:20 PM
xfordman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same thing. Mine won't go into low either. I tried talking to them also with no luck. They were nice enough, they just don't know anything about it. Oh well, I don't race so I don't have a need to shift manually anyway.....Rod

Old 05-28-2009, 07:28 PM
fiftysixfordf250
Senior User
What year of AOD do you have? Is your shifter a cable type, or mechanical linkage? I'm very sure that the detent spacing on the AOD is identical to the C6,C4 and even the GM 350 and 400. Do you have an electronic AOD? If so, some of those have an extra detent position and could cause your problem. The old non-electronic models have lo 1, lo 2, drive, neutral, reverse and park. The drive position serves 3rd and 4th gears.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:20 PM
austin2466
Junior User
Yep, that's what I was thinking, just running the thing and not completely going bezerk. They are sending me some extra rods to try though, which is nice. Probably just give up and focus on other stuff that is pertinent to running. Three houndred dollars and the thing can't even hit all my gears?! haha. The AOD is an 88 from a mustang. It had cable but I removed that gizmo from the shifter arm and hooked their lever through the remaining hole. No E, just regular AOD.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:25 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have no experience whatsoever with the shifter you are trying to use, but I think I can tell you what you'll ultimately have to do to resolve the issue. To get a little more range of movement at the transmission lever, you are going to have to attach your cable/rod at a point on the transmission lever that is closer to the lever's shaft so that you are operating the lever through a shorter arc. The opposite would have the same effect. If you attach the linkage at a point farther away from the pivot point of the shifter, then you will get more movement at the transmission end. How you make that happen is up to you! Some shifters and linkage setups allow some adjustment for this. If not, then you might have to do a little fab work. Keep in mind that it won't take much of a change in radius to make a difference in the length of the lever's arc!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:29 PM
austin2466
Junior User
I just tried that. I drilled a hole about a half inch below(towards the tranny shift fulcrum point) and hooked the linkage there. It stilled behaved poorly. I am beginning to think that it has something to do with the shift detent plates. They gave me ones labeled: C6, C4, MOPAR, and TH350. They told me the C6 would be the one to use. but I tried the C4 as well. I dont know. So far just leaving it as is seems ok until I get the other shift rods. But, I don't think those will work either. The one I got originally is 6 5/8. And they are sending me one that is approx 11 in and another around 7 in . Hopefully the seven but that would put me in the range of my newelly drilled hole.