Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4x4 ESOF vacuum problem....'01 F350

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Drenalin
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4x4 ESOF vacuum problem....'01 F350

New to the forum and thought I'd start off with a ESOF problem I've been having...

I drive a 2001 F350 CC 4x4 7.3l....I have read through a few searched threads and cannot get a definite answer....so I figured I'd give my scenario and see what the masses think.

In auto hubs.....I turn ESOF on....light delayed a little but reads 4x4 and 4x4 low....I do not hear the 4x4 HI engage however I can hear the clunk in 4x4 LO. Does not appear to be in 4x4 in HI but is engaged in Lo.

In manual hubs, truck engages in 4x4 high and low. Hear distinct engagement. Truck does fine driving

I use my 4x4 on occasion at the deer lease. I also run my 4x4 HI after every 5-7L oil change from the front of my subdivision to the back when I return from the change just to keep it "used".... its about 800 yards and I don't get over 25mph. This recent episode just showed up a short time ago and I've been putting it off.

The passenger front hub was replaced at 190K.....driver front hub still going strong as far as the bearings go. No problems switching from auto to manual at the hubs.

Did some initial testing and here is what I have found to date:

After thinking my AC hadn't or wouldn't switch to defrost, it did when I started jacking with the ESOF switch. It did however kick back down to the dash vents eventually. Now when turning the switch to 4x4 Hi, all I heard was a click and the axles after a minute were still free spinning. I placed it in neutral, pushed on brake, moved it to 4x4 Lo and heard the tell tale clunk....however the axle was still spinning freely......

Now when I do this in the street on a long straightaway in the subdivision, I can feel the truck in 4x4 Lo after the clunk above. However I feel no clunk/engagement in 4x4hi ....

My vacuum pump is also kicking on and working....and seemingly every time I start the truck. I would think this would not be necessarily good.

OK...some more tests......

Vehicle off....

Pulled solenoid lines off to hear a gushing of air coming out. Turned vehicle on, vacuum pump on, 4x4hi on and no vacuum felt from solenoid. AC goes to defrost. Hooked back up and AC went back to vents. 4x4 hi "click" but hubs spin freely.

Vehicle on...

Lines looked to have black particles coming off them and turned my hand jet black. No noticeable leaks/cracks but the lines will be replaced either way as they are rotting. Cut off inch on both sides just to see if that would solve problem. Nothing.

Pulled vacuum lines individually to add golf tee to check vacuum. Did driver side hub with tee first and there was no switching of AC. Replaced drivers side line and plugged passenger side hub with golf tee.... after 30 secs the AC switched to defrost.

Plugged both lines with golf tees and AC went to defrost.

Next some tests while moving...Switched hubs to manual on straightaway in subdivision. Switched ESOF to 4x4 Hi and the axle kicked in immediately. Same for 4x4 lo in neutral. Making sure I didn't turn in 4x4, I did this for a couple of straightaways in my subdivision with no problems. 4x4 seems fine when hubs are manually locked in.

Switched hubs back to auto and son of a gun, the 4x4 hi works....Did this numerous times turning 4x4 off when I had to turn. Got in a long straightaway and put it in 4x4 lo. It too worked. Drove it for 30-40 yards and switched out.

Here's the kicker...after switching it out of 4x4 low, it would not go back into 4x4Hi again.... I made another block and was unsuccessful getting it back into 4x4 hi. The switch would click and the light would come on but the axle did not lock in like earlier....

Replaced the rotting vacuum lines from frame to hub and had the same results. I am leaning toward a bad or intermittent vacuum solenoid/valve assembly, but haven't been able to confirm it. Any other thoughts? or tests to run?

Sorry I'm so long winded....I've just been do a ton of research and tests to get this fixed....thanks and I appreciate any feedback.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:20 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Dang man, you've really done your homework! I can't add anything, other than welcome to the site, and I hope you stick around as I think you'll be a good addition to the forums here!

Old 05-28-2009, 07:43 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Welcome to FTE.

I am going to bump this up because you did such a good job of explaining the problem. I need to read your post again in order to try to help you with this.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Tim J
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the hub assy was replaced, was a new hub seal installed? I havn't been able to remove the hub or axle with out destroying the seal. It may look fine.....but wont hold a vacuum. I've been through all this PITA work to keep the auto hubs working on my 99.
You shouldn't hear a "clunk" when engaging 4Hi, only in/out of 4Lo. Sounds like the transfer case is shifting properly, but perhaps there is a vacuum leak in the hubs. Plug one hub vac line and engage 4wd. See if that hub locks. You can reach behind the tire and try to turn the u joint by hand. try this with both sides. See if it works. I use a vacuum gauge to monitor the engagement/disengagement when looking for leaks. Some one will know the proper readings for the two. (takes more vacuum to disengage then to engage).
I also had to replace the vacuum pulse solenoid. This made a big difference. You can PM me and I'll give you my fone# if I can be of more help. Not so good at writing.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Drenalin
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tim J
If the hub assy was replaced, was a new hub seal installed? I havn't been able to remove the hub or axle with out destroying the seal. It may look fine.....but wont hold a vacuum.
Tim...I am not sure. At the time I had this done by somebody else. I know the complete assembly was replaced to the tune of $280 for the part. Is the seal, separate from the assembly when purchased because that very well may be the case. The OE hub was in pretty bad shape when it was replaced. For some reason I thought it was part of the assembly??

I Plug one hub vac line and engage 4wd. See if that hub locks. You can reach behind the tire and try to turn the u joint by hand. try this with both sides. See if it works. I use a vacuum gauge to monitor the engagement/disengagement when looking for leaks. Some one will know the proper readings for the two. (takes more vacuum to disengage then to engage).
I will do that tomorrow. I did some plugs tests but did not grab the u-joint to see if it was locked in. I am going to plug both lines with gold tees as well since I installed new tubing from the frame to the hubs.

I also had to replace the vacuum pulse solenoid. This made a big difference. You can PM me and I'll give you my fone# if I can be of more help. Not so good at writing.

PM sent Tim. After I run these battery of other tests, I may give you a buzz tomorrow evening.

I guess in a nutshell is I am trying to rule out all the easily replaceable stuff before I start dropping money on the hubs and/or axles at this time.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Drenalin
Senior User
TimJ...I don't see any PM's like on my other forums so I sent you a visitor message....maybe I haven't been here long enough to have access to the PM function..

And thanks for all the welcomes fellas....I think I'm gonna like this place.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:22 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE! Sounds to me like you are on your way to solving the problem. I think the clunk you are hearing in 4low is just the transfer case and the hubs are not engaging. I would bet that hub you had replaced is the culprit, but I have not dealt with any issues on my ESOF other than sticky hubs on my X when I purchased it.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:35 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
I had my passenger side hub replaced and the mechanic just forgot to add the yellow o-ring on the assembly. Not to mention they put the thrust washer on the wrong side and it ate into my knuckle seal.

Ed sells a ESOF reseal kit that includes everything to make sure your hubs hold the vacuum but if its the solenoid or the lines it wont be much help!

Th!nkPartsGuy/FTEPartsGuy

Old 05-29-2009, 09:01 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Welcome to a great forum.These folks will go out of their way to get ya going.We are close if you have anymore problems or I might need help myself.
I had to replace my hoses as well a month ago.Black and brittle.This fixed my problems

Old 05-29-2009, 09:02 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Originally Posted by miller_feed
Welcome to FTE.

I am going to bump this up because you did such a good job of explaining the problem. I need to read your post again in order to try to help you with this.
Rick is plenty good at these 4x4's.He has helped me on mine!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:03 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Sorry, I had a long post typed and this piece of crap lost it. I am pissed and don't have time to post again right now.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Drenalin
Senior User
Sorry, I had a long post typed and this piece of crap lost it. I am pissed and don't have time to post again right now.

gotta love computers...

look forward to reading what you have to say when you find the time..........

Old 05-29-2009, 01:12 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by Drenalin
New to the forum and thought I'd start off with a ESOF problem I've been having...

I drive a 2001 F350 CC 4x4 7.3l....I have read through a few searched threads and cannot get a definite answer....so I figured I'd give my scenario and see what the masses think.

In auto hubs.....I turn ESOF on....light delayed a little but reads 4x4 and 4x4 low....I do not hear the 4x4 HI engage however I can hear the clunk in 4x4 LO. Does not appear to be in 4x4 in HI but is engaged in Lo.

I don't here the clunk when putting it in 4x4 hi. The way this is set-up, you can't go into 4x4low without it being in 4x4 hi. Try this, crank your truck and put the shifter in neutral with the brake on. Turn the switch to 4x4 low, you will see the 4x4 high light come on then you will hear the clunk, then the 4x4 low light will come on.

In manual hubs, truck engages in 4x4 high and low. Hear distinct engagement. Truck does fine driving

The hubs have nothing to do with the transfer case engaging.

I use my 4x4 on occasion at the deer lease. I also run my 4x4 HI after every 5-7L oil change from the front of my subdivision to the back when I return from the change just to keep it "used".... its about 800 yards and I don't get over 25mph. This recent episode just showed up a short time ago and I've been putting it off.

If, when, I race someone, I have it in 4x4 high and go up to 90 mph in 4x4. Just don't engage 4x4 doing over 55 mph.

The passenger front hub was replaced at 190K.....driver front hub still going strong as far as the bearings go. No problems switching from auto to manual at the hubs.

Did some initial testing and here is what I have found to date:

After thinking my AC hadn't or wouldn't switch to defrost, it did when I started jacking with the ESOF switch. It did however kick back down to the dash vents eventually. Now when turning the switch to 4x4 Hi, all I heard was a click and the axles after a minute were still free spinning. I placed it in neutral, pushed on brake, moved it to 4x4 Lo and heard the tell tale clunk....however the axle was still spinning freely......

Again, you are hearing the clunk of the transfer case engaging into low.

Now when I do this in the street on a long straightaway in the subdivision, I can feel the truck in 4x4 Lo after the clunk above. However I feel no clunk/engagement in 4x4hi ....

Another, again, you will not hear the transfer case engage in 4x4 high.

My vacuum pump is also kicking on and working....and seemingly every time I start the truck. I would think this would not be necessarily good.

With the engine off, you will lose vacuum, and the pump should come on every time you turn the key to start the truck.
OK...some more tests......

Vehicle off....

Pulled solenoid lines off to hear a gushing of air coming out. Turned vehicle on, vacuum pump on, 4x4hi on and no vacuum felt from solenoid. AC goes to defrost. Hooked back up and AC went back to vents. 4x4 hi "click" but hubs spin freely.

If you pull the vacuum line off the solenoid, you will have a vacuum leak not pressured air. And without vacuum in the system, your air will default to the defrost setting, because you don't have vacuum to hold the door open.

Vehicle on...

Lines looked to have black particles coming off them and turned my hand jet black. No noticeable leaks/cracks but the lines will be replaced either way as they are rotting. Cut off inch on both sides just to see if that would solve problem. Nothing.

Pulled vacuum lines individually to add golf tee to check vacuum. Did driver side hub with tee first and there was no switching of AC. Replaced drivers side line and plugged passenger side hub with golf tee.... after 30 secs the AC switched to defrost.

Plugged both lines with golf tees and AC went to defrost.
Your golf tee may not be sealing good enough. Also, you can pull both vacuum lines off the hubs, but if you don't turn the switch to 4x4 giving signal for the seloniod to send vacuum to the front hubs, the vents will not go to the defrost.

Next some tests while moving...Switched hubs to manual on straightaway in subdivision. Switched ESOF to 4x4 Hi and the axle kicked in immediately. Same for 4x4 lo in neutral. Making sure I didn't turn in 4x4, I did this for a couple of straightaways in my subdivision with no problems. 4x4 seems fine when hubs are manually locked in.

Switched hubs back to auto and son of a gun, the 4x4 hi works....Did this numerous times turning 4x4 off when I had to turn. Got in a long straightaway and put it in 4x4 lo. It too worked. Drove it for 30-40 yards and switched out.

Here's the kicker...after switching it out of 4x4 low, it would not go back into 4x4Hi again.... I made another block and was unsuccessful getting it back into 4x4 hi. The switch would click and the light would come on but the axle did not lock in like earlier....

Replaced the rotting vacuum lines from frame to hub and had the same results. I am leaning toward a bad or intermittent vacuum solenoid/valve assembly, but haven't been able to confirm it. Any other thoughts? or tests to run?

Sorry I'm so long winded....I've just been do a ton of research and tests to get this fixed....thanks and I appreciate any feedback.
I don't think you have a problem with the ESOF. If you do, my guess would be the vacuum selenoid on the front passenger side.

It's hard to know without being in the truck to see how you are testing this.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Drenalin
Senior User
I don't here the clunk when putting it in 4x4 hi. The way this is set-up, you can't go into 4x4low without it being in 4x4 hi. Try this, crank your truck and put the shifter in neutral with the brake on. Turn the switch to 4x4 low, you will see the 4x4 high light come on then you will hear the clunk, then the 4x4 low light will come on.

Yes....this is the way it is...sorry for my miscommunication and lack of knowledge of the particulars.

I can however hear a difference between my 2x4 and my 4x4hi front when the hubs are on Manual. This is what I cannot hear when the hubs are in Auto.

The hubs have nothing to do with the transfer case engaging.

Again sorry for my lack of knowledge of the particulars. The transfer case engages and the axles spin freely in AUTO. I am told they should not be able to spin freely. In manual hub they do not spin.

If, when, I race someone, I have it in 4x4 high and go up to 90 mph in 4x4. Just don't engage 4x4 doing over 55 mph.
My reason for giving my mph was for the sole reason that I have received some warnings about turning in 4x4 when testing on my hardtop streets. The reason for adding this particular paragraph was merely a way of saying through the life of my truck I have made an effort to use the 4x4 versus letting it sit. Good to know that speed is not really an issue in hi

Again, you are hearing the clunk of the transfer case engaging into low.

Another, again, you will not hear the transfer case engage in 4x4 high.
Thanks....

With the engine off, you will lose vacuum, and the pump should come on every time you turn the key to start the truck.

OK so the reservoir does not hold this air in? Good to know.

If you pull the vacuum line off the solenoid, you will have a vacuum leak not pressured air. And without vacuum in the system, your air will default to the defrost setting, because you don't have vacuum to hold the door open.
Understand, I would assume this means my solenoid is working since I heard the swoosh of air .........albeit possibly not consistently.

Your golf tee may not be sealing good enough. Also, you can pull both vacuum lines off the hubs, but if you don't turn the switch to 4x4 giving signal for the seloniod to send vacuum to the front hubs, the vents will not go to the defrost.[/quote]

I turned it to 4x4 high and the vents went to defrost with lines plugged. Golf tees were seated fine.

I don't think you have a problem with the ESOF. If you do, my guess would be the vacuum selenoid on the front passenger side.
No problem with the ESOF? My truck will not shift into 4x4 HI using the ESOF...the axles at the U-joint spin freely in auto. With the hubs turned to manual with switch turned, the u-joints at the axles do not spin freely. If the ESOF is not the culprit where do i look next? Dirty hubs?

Thanks again miller.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:50 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

What I don't understand, is, it will work sometimes and not work sometimes. Lets try something else, disconnect the electrical connection on the solenoid, turn it to 4x4 and see if the air defaults to defrost. By disconnecting the solenoid, it will not send vacuum to the front vacuum lines. If thats ok, then you have a hole/crack in one of the vacuum lines going to the hubs. The only way the air will go to the defrost is if there is a vacuum leak. This is a strange one, but I think it can be fixed.

Quick Reply: 4x4 ESOF vacuum problem....'01 F350