considering a 347 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
considering a 347 build

So about a year and a half ago my 79 302 starts ticking like a time bomb. Can't pin it and I run across an AWESOME deal on a rebuilt 302 in the nifty thrickel, with receipts to prove the build, so I jump and do the straight swap. *it was a great find!!* Now I've got this old 302 sitting around, still don't know what the problem was, and not that I NEED another engine or have the money for the build on hand but I want something to do so I'm considering tearing it down and stockpiling parts to build a 347 stroker to drop in my 79. I've still got to identify the rear end in this truck but I've got the c6 tranny *which should handle it*

Any advice or thoughts before I start spending money? I've got a machine shop I'm eyeballing for the work and possibly even the kit for around $600 but I don't know the particulars yet as I haven't spoke to them, only a coworker who's suggested them to me. I'd like to have most of the stuff picked and purchased before I start paying any shop for any work.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:22 PM
fordeverpower
Postmaster
a 351w is a cheap stroker! Anyways, i built a 331 that had 3/8 rold bolts and i had to notch the bottom of the block. Just a little bit was needed for clearence with the nuts. What heads do you have in mind? Need to have an idea on the combustion chamber size and intended camshaft before you select pistons.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:18 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

I'm hoping I'll be able to use the heads that are on it but I haven't had a chance to clean them up enough to get the numbers and see what they are. I have a book that's all about building strokers and it gives a few suggestions on what wld be good heads to have etc so I'm going to compare with that and see if I've got a workable set. If not, I'll try to locate a good aftermarket and go from there. I'm looking for something that'll be good as a daily driver AND toy to play with when I feel a little frisky. I'm pretty brand noob and this will honestly be the first engine I've ever built starting from the bare block. The people that'll be helping me along are big on chevy and little on Ford so that's why I'm coming here! Any recommendations on who has good reasonably priced kits once I figure out all my numbers?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Kuskoal
Elder User
im all for a rodded truck turning 4000+ and slam shifted, but why not throw in a 351? it all blots in, ethe bay looks like the engine is at home there and you get 49 cubes for a swap! i know you got the 302 sitting around (i have 3 in my garage) but my brother threw his away for the extra .5" stroke of the 351W and I am installing a 300 six. i dunno, the 302 is awesome in smaller cars and can perform well when built, but a 351W with the torque and more power all around (did i mention safer with better construction?) to haul the heavy 79 over town with modest gears id pick the 351, or stroke it to 408 or 393.

my 2 cents, its your truck and im not gonna tell you how to spend your money

Old 07-03-2009, 10:21 AM
pud
Posting Guru
I will never understand why someone would want to build a 347...unless a 351w wont fit. But a 460 will fit in your 79 like a hot dog down a hallway...so like the other posters suggested, go for a 351w. 50 extra cubes stock (not 49, the 351 is really 352cid)

Old 07-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 960 Likes on 760 Posts
+2.. take the money you would spend on the stroker kit and buy some aftermarket heads to bolt on a stock 351 shorblock and you'll have WAY more power than a 347 with stock heads.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

yeah my main reason for going with the 302 is the fact i have one already and it's the engine i already know the most about and have the most information about building here at home. i've located another 78/79 that the people are just ready to get rid of but i can't get their son to get me the engine info/vin/any damn thing. he's the MASTER procrastinator.

if that one *it's powder blue* has a 351 and they will sell it to me for the $100 he thinks they will, then i'd have another option. i'm not out for maximum power, just something with some spunk. the more messing around we do with my current setup the more spunk i find she's already got. i honestly think with a little livelier cam, maybe a gear change, and a few other little things i might just be content with this one but - i've swapped, i've torn into, and done most everything else engine wise except build one. if i do a build on either this one or whatever's in the powder blue truck i'm trying to buy, i can have 2 good, reliable *hopefully* engines in two of the body styles i like and get rid of that POS 85 i've got that is a nuisance 99.95% of the time when it isn't saving my hide. i love that truck, but i HATE that truck, ya know?

i guess i'm just on hold till i get more info or just give up on that truck. i do need to do some work to the suspension on the silver one really before i start blowing money on things that aren't necessary like engines. king pins, front brakes, and steering gear box are top of the list, then the leaking rear end and it should be good to go for a good long while.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 PM
pud
Posting Guru
then might i suggest taking the $1500 you would spend on the rotating assy and get some heads. 300hp out of the stock shortblock minus cam will be quite easy.