Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AOD shift kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:38 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never had an AOD but they shift differant . I have a 4R70W that shifts 1 2 3 then OD if you want it to . With the AOD you have 1st , drive , then OD . So if you want to hold second gear to higher RPMs you have to shift from first to drive then pull it back into first fast to get it to hold the rpm . Its hard to do with the shifter on the tree. The only way i have heard of to fix the shifting is to use a manual valve body...I could be wrong here but i haven't heard any other way to do it ..??? A lot of the mustang racers use the gear sets from the 4R70W in the AODs because of the ratio & there stronger ..Just my 1 1/2 cents worth ...Lew

Old 05-28-2009, 10:13 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Conanski
I don't know how the AOD works so I'm at a loss to explain why it does this, but I'd like to know more because there are things about it I'd like to fix. It also seems that there is a limit to how much increasing line pressure will extend the shifts, no matter what you do it still won't hold each gear to 5500rpm.. barely 5000rpm most times and often only 4500rpm. I have seen a kit that claims to extend the shift points by changing the governor. I also plan to go through it and install every possible upgrade like hardened shafts and better bands and clutches at some point so it has a fighting chance of surviving behind my built 351.
That's correct, at WOT the governor takes over and it's the one determining the shift points. Most factory governors are set at 4300 rpms or something like that, the Mustang and Mark VII got a 4800 rpms or so. The kit you're talking about is the TransGo HP kit, and from what I've heard it works pretty good.

Originally Posted by jr32560
mine is shifting real soft and mushy-was rebuilt like 6 years ago right before i bought it and the guy I bought it from sold it because the way it shifted-I'm just trying to make er last a bit longer-seems like it's mushy shifting it self to it's death?all that soft shift and slipping can't be good for it-hey it's a truck not a Lincoln
Hey, my AOD is in a Lincoln, one that can wind up the speedometer till the needle points at Park Coincidentally same Lincoln rides much like sport-compact, and nothing like a Lincoln

Originally Posted by lew52
I have never had an AOD but they shift differant . I have a 4R70W that shifts 1 2 3 then OD if you want it to . With the AOD you have 1st , drive , then OD . So if you want to hold second gear to higher RPMs you have to shift from first to drive then pull it back into first fast to get it to hold the rpm . Its hard to do with the shifter on the tree. The only way i have heard of to fix the shifting is to use a manual valve body...I could be wrong here but i haven't heard any other way to do it ..??? A lot of the mustang racers use the gear sets from the 4R70W in the AODs because of the ratio & there stronger ..Just my 1 1/2 cents worth ...Lew
Correct, this is an AOD-specific shift pattern. There are actually two valve bodies, the civilian version most anyone has, and a police version - the regular valve body shifts just like you said, while the police one goes 2-3-OD so if you shift manually as low as you can go is 2nd gear, IIRC this was done so the cruisers can take off in 2nd for operation during severe winter conditions (can't put a civilian AOD directly into 2nd wihout initially going though 1st). If you wanna shift your AOD manually get a floor shifter for it, in my Lincoln I have one from a T-bird GT and after I modified the gates a bit it works pretty darn good.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
Some interesting stuff there sounds like you know a thing or two about these trannys. There won't ever be a floor shifter in my truck unless it's attached to a ZF.. and I really wouldn't mind that because everything else I own is a manual, but I'm not really interested in doing the swap either. I'd just like the slushbox to bang off 5000rpm shifts all on it's own when I have my foot planted on the firewall, I got no interest in manually shifting it up or down.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:08 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Haha, Paul, that's about all I know, a thing or two - on a serious note, seems like the TransGo HP shift kit is what you need. However, I'm left with the impression that you already have a shift kit installed in your transmission - if that's the case, you can purchase just the high-revv governor, I think Oregon Performance Transmission can get it for ya.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:39 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I did a search on TransGo shift kits, and this old thread came up.

Originally Posted by Conanski
The TV cable on the AOD does affect shift points and shift feel somewhat, some subtle adjustment here can bring better results. You'll know you have it set too high when it starts refusing to downshift and bogging the motor as you slow down. I have a Transgo kit in my tranny and it seems to work well and has helped the tranny survive behind a 5.8. It shifts pretty firmly but won't quite chirp the tires on a shift which is a happy medium between extending the tranny life and destroying U-joints.
I have played around with my AOD TV cable, and my transmission shifts just like you describe when I have the cable too tight, or too much pre-load on the TV cable. The shift points are extended and shifts are firmer, but then it doesn't want to downshift while coming to a stop when in overdrive. The transmission feels like it is binding up, the engine starts to shake and bog and then the RPMs will suddenly shoot up when the transmission finally downshifts.

After adjusting my TV cable a little bit tighter than stock, I have my own AOD shifting pretty good now, a bit firmer than stock. But I wonder if a shift kit will help with my engine modifications (see my signature). I plan on installing 4.10 gears in the future, if that matters at all.

How much different does the transmission feel with the TransGo shift kit, than when you had your TV cable tighter for firmer shifts?

I am not looking for a HARD shift! I have a friend who has a 1988 F150 302/AOD with a B&M shift kit in it, and it shifts HARD, especially out of first, and that got old FAST in normal driving on the street. Can you describe what the TransGo kit did differently in your own truck than the stock AOD calibration?

Thanks!