1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1954 F100 "police edition"

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:50 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's one...

OK, so its not a '54 but it is a Ford...

Fawcett Movie Cars - 1951 Ford Panel Van - Paddy Wagon

Now, on to the subject of titles... There has been so much said and argued over here for years about titles amd what is legal and what is not. It seems that no two states can agree on a system of titles and to make matters worse the people who work at the offices don't seem to know anything other than how to issue a standard title. This is strange because just about every state has all the rules and regulations regarding titles and registration posted on websites for any fool to read. Given the above, it's not likely that any general consensus is ever going to form here. I think what is most offensive and aggrivating is when a person or persons get on here and rant about how you can't do this and you can't do that simply because they are too lazy or can't figure out how to do it.

The truth is that if you go to any car show and talk to guys that have built cars and trucks from several vehicles like Bob did, they will tell you a lot of different stories about how they got their vehicle titled. I am currently in the process of building a truck that has a valid Ohio title but in the end the only parts from that truck still in the truck will be the windshield, (which was a replacement), the VIN plate, a nice set of hood hinges, and maybe a few body pieces worth keeping. Even the dash is being replaced by a late model Explorer dash so the VIN plate will end up mounted someplace else because I can't put it in the glove box door. I can tell you that I can drive this thing anywhere and no cop will question it even if stopped so long as the registration number does not raise a flag in the nationwide system for violations or theft.

When it comes to getting a title for an old or abandoned vehicle that does not have one, it is just a matter of common sense, a little research and foot work.

Later Folks...

Old 05-28-2009, 09:11 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I took 2 pics of the hearse.....soon as wife gets home she will try to post.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:35 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Dave is right. It wasn't that long ago that there was not a searchable national title system in place. Every state did it's own thing as far as proof of ownership and plates was concerned. In most states if you were in posession of the registration receipt for the vehicle it was assumed you were the legal owner. The registrations were filed by tag # and stored at the state capital DMV or even at the issuing office. This system continued because it was a states right and a major source of their revenue for road building.
This made it easy for theft rings to steal cars, produce counterfit registrations to launder ownership and dispose of the vehicles in other states, or across borders. It was difficult to prosecute because the system was so convoluted it was not cost effective to do the research necessary across state lines. Banks also got into the equation, becoming larger and covering a wide area, making substantial loans for vehicle purchases to people they knew primarily from the loan application they filled out (banks had previously made loans primarily in their local communities and "knew" most of their customers). Car manufacturers also started loaning purchase money thru their dealerships based on the car as colatteral securing the loan. as the system depersonalized people defaulted, moved away, hid the car, etc. and even if the loaning entity took reposession it was difficult for the banks to prove ownership without an expensive court fight.
As is often done with states rights, especially regarding the DMV, the feds stepped in with the "suggestion" that a uniformly searchable record system be adopted making a title the legal proof of ownership seperate from the registration certificate. (The feds do this by threatening the states with forfiture of federal highway funds and projects if the states don't impliment their "suggestion") That way the leinholder held the title until the debt was paid, but plates could still be secured and the registration became a secondary proof of defacto legal possesion, not ownership.
As part of that "suggestion" and the state's concerns regarding the loss of a title or a vehicle not previously titled under the old laws putting a vehicle in limbo, there needed to be a method of title replacement placed in the legislation, the feds leaving that for the states to work out.
Today many states have found (or been lobbied to find) it cost effective to lease out their DMV offices to private contractors rather than operate them as a state employer.
The contractors in turn hire the cheapest employees possible, provide only as much training as necessary to function in most situations.
These offices full of minimum wage "trained monkeys" then pass off out of the ordinary requests up the supervisory chain within the office. Most of the time the supervisor is just a recently promoted trained monkey who is willing to be butt kicked by the management company if the office is not producing a profit, for an extra $0.50 an hour. They have been taught it is much easier/cheaper to say "that can't be done" than to do the research and extra paperwork typically involved in solving the problem.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:24 AM
56Fred
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Police Paddy Wagon

Hi Guys,
I just say a film at work last night in regards to the United States Border Patrol celebrating it's 85th anniversary. This film is not available to the public. The film covers the humble beginnings of the organization up to the present. And guess what I saw in the film guys? A beautiful row of brand new (then) 1956 Ford panels all decked out in the gorgeous mint green with white roof and the United States Border Patrol emblem on the doors. Although they were used for prisoner transport back in the day, I could not tell you if they were "police optioned". I was not born during that time. It is possible, however, that their suspension may have been stiffened to handle the loads of prisoners. I wish I new more information of these vehicles, but this film was a recap of the Border Patrols history. There maybe some information that is available to the public at the United States Border Patrol Museum in El Paso, Texas.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:10 AM
merten
Laughing Gas
This listing in the Milwaukee craigs list has got to be the truck mentioned in this thread. 4 pictures in this add.
Make offer 1954 ford panel truck police paddy wagon

Old 06-06-2009, 02:53 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I blew up the pictures, but couldn't see any indication the rear windows rolled up? Rear step bumper and spotlight might give credence that it was used by a PD or FD?

Old 06-06-2009, 03:02 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
It's not in the Milwaukee area, at least not from the phone number, it's up near Green Bay. If it was closer I'd take a drive over there and check it out.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:21 PM
merten
Laughing Gas
Here it is again, Green Bay craigs list. will go for $1000.00 or body work?
make offers want gone or body work done

Old 06-07-2009, 09:45 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Yeah, it's the same truck. I didn't realize it was until now. I emailed the guy since he had it listed in the Milw. Craigslist just on the chance it was closer. It didn't click until I read his reply to my email that it was the same truck.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:34 AM
8bahead
Senior User
It looks like Chicago P.D. paddy wagon it wears the Blue and White colors. I remember seeing those when I was much younger! LOL!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:19 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
$1000 for a 54 panel in that complete condition is a pretty smokin deal. Especially, considering, the 54 saw the lowest production numbers, and the panels are still worth a lot to the collectors. It's entirely possible the guy is right, being a paddy wagon. Is likely that he just passed on what he was told about the engine. If I were there, and had the funds, I'd chunk a grand down on it no sweat.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 PM
eshaver
Junior User
The Briggs and Stratton Ford Engine !

Originally Posted by 55 f350
people will believe anything they're told in most cases and this guy is either a " believer " or a " bullsh-tt-r " . i once told a tuner that the flatty in mine was an experimental hipo motor for briggs and stratton that ford was entertaining the use of and my truck was the " experimental vehicle " . lil' dipstick believed it and gave me his name and number if i was to want to sell it , and he was on the phone with his equally silly biological male donor who must've been just as gullible when he was walking off .
Please go over to Model Cars Magazine and look at wher one of the model builders is doing a 1953 Ford truck with a Modified Flat head . I wrote to hom as I hae been working on Ford Flat heads since about 1964. I even mentioned to him that Champion H-19 plugswere sharedfor years by both engines ! GREAT POST !!!!!!!!!!! Ed Shaver

Last edited by eshaver; 06-09-2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling errors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 01:07 AM
jaydc77
New User
re 1954 "paddy wagon"

As in the previous post...what you are hearing is true...I own a 1954 Panel truck that was used by the chicago police dept...It has the power king 150 in it and it is authentic as a paddy wagon..it does have roll-up windows in the back and the headlights are etched with "CPD" in them and it does have a working siren and lights....all the did was wire the light switch so that if you turned on the running lights the headlights would turn on also and if you turned the switch all the way on (or all the way pulled out) the siren and the "disco light" on top turned on...just an fyi

Old 09-03-2009, 04:13 AM
merten
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jaydc77
As in the previous post...what you are hearing is true...I own a 1954 Panel truck that was used by the chicago police dept...It has the power king 150 in it and it is authentic as a paddy wagon..it does have roll-up windows in the back and the headlights are etched with "CPD" in them and it does have a working siren and lights....all the did was wire the light switch so that if you turned on the running lights the headlights would turn on also and if you turned the switch all the way on (or all the way pulled out) the siren and the "disco light" on top turned on...just an fyi
Hi and welcome to this forum. Lots of good information here. Is this the same truck that was advertised for sale, or another like it? Please post some pictures, especially those back roll down windows.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:14 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
How about some pix, especially the roll down rear window mechanism. OOPs sorry Merten, our minds think alike!

Quick Reply: 1954 F100 "police edition"