Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.SPONSORED BY:
Click Here

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Elder User

Still Smoking is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tonneau cover ?

Ok I was on the way to the movies with my girlfriend when I noticed in the review mirror my tonneau cover was sagging way down in the middle. First thought was o maybe the bar came off cause its not real tight. So we get to the movies and I went to go look at it. Well come to find out that the bar that sits on top of the tail gate that slides in the track of the side rails. The plastic insert pieces broke off on both sides. Its a tonneau master cover. Does anyone know if they make a replacement bar? I hate as hell to have to buy a new cover. I would like to have a nice stainless tool box but rather have the cover for a little better gas mileage. Does anyone if they sell replacement parts or just the whole kit? Thanks
Old 05-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Elder User

WeWonIt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can you take some pics, some of us fabricators might have better ideas for a replacement. BTW if you are wanting a tool box and need to repair your cover, buy the box, move the forward brackets to a rail mounted on the tool box, take the cover to a boat shop and have them sew the cover to the new length and voila! Tonneau and tool box. But then again, I am only half way through my first cup of coffe this morning.

2007 F-150 Super Crew FX4, 6" Pro Comp Suspension Lift, 315/70/17 Hancook Dynapro AT/Ms, 17" Pro Comp Wheels
2008 Fusion SEL Sport, Short Throw Shifter with B&M T-handle
Old 05-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Elder User

I will get some pics up in a little bit. Got to cut the grass real quick. I was thinking the same thing about having the cover shortened to fit for a tool box.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Elder User

Not the best pics but here they are
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Senior User

HankMurphy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Smoking View Post
Its a tonneau master cover. Does anyone know if they make a replacement bar?
I'm guessing that the company is Sport Masters. It looks like they are still sold, since a lot of internet emporiums seem to offer them. At the same time, the company evidently didn't know or care about their name, and a domain squatter has both Sport Masters and Tonneau Master. They don't seem to be a SEMA member.

My guess is that you should start by finding your installation instructions and calling or mailing the company. If you can't find your instructions, contact your original seller, and ask them about parts.

Given the invisible profile of this company, one wonders if they are still in business. They seem to have been acquired by Steadfast Holdings, STFH in the pink sheets, with a recent quote of $0.0006 - your truck, used, may be worth more than the company now.

It looks like the tonneau snaps to the piece in the picture, and I'm guessing that is not attached to the tailgate. One option would be to cut off the plastic stubs and just screw it to the top of the tailgate. You would have to unsnap it to use the tailgate. One better option would be to replace the snaps with strong magnets. Having that sewn might be more than the cover is worth.

The other alternative would seem to use a lag bolt to affix the cross piece to the bed wall mounts. This would mean using a socket when it was time to remove the tonneau cover. If you don't do it often, probably not a big sacrifice.

I personally have a Century hard tonneau, never could get into the snaps.

Let us know what you decide to do, and good luck.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Elder User

Well there was a number on the tonneau and a website. The website was www.sportmasters.com which is no longer in service and then the phone number which is 330-872-6040 is also no longer in service. I found a few dealers that sell a bunch of different brands and everyone says they no longer carry the tonneau master cause its discountinued. This leads me to think that they are out of buisness. I had my hands on a almost brand new hard tonneau cover but it needed to be painted cause it was silver and the truck is blue. Could have got it for 400 bucks cause it was on a guys lease he was turning in. Didnt want a hard one cause I like to throw my 4 wheeler or sometimes snowmobile in the back and thats to much of a pain to always take off and put back on then find a place to put it when it is off.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Posting Guru

ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm not sure about the aerodynamics of a toolbox (like mine) but they did a test on trucks with the tailgate down, up, and with a tonneau. The tonneau cover gets worse mileage than no tonneau cover. Just sayin'....
Old 05-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Junior User

nlfireblade is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can the corner pieces be removed from the rail? Is it a plastic corner with two tabs like the factory cover parts? The ford factory corners may work. I just had to buy two of those for my tonneau because one cracked. They come in packs of two and are $46CDN...
Old 05-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO View Post
I'm not sure about the aerodynamics of a toolbox (like mine) but they did a test on trucks with the tailgate down, up, and with a tonneau. The tonneau cover gets worse mileage than no tonneau cover. Just sayin'....
Some one else said the samething on another site but I dont know how you can figure that. If the tailgate is up and no cover then the air comes over the cab and rolls down and hits the tailgate and acts as an air pocket. With the tailgate down the air keeps moving. With a cover the air hits it and there is nothing to block it. I have gotten a mile or two better with my tonneau cover. I get crappy gas mileage with it off thats why I wana get it fixed asap. I just went back to work and driving 90 miles a day. Its like driving with the windows down going down the freeway you get worse mileage than driving with the windows up and the A/C on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlfireblade View Post
Can the corner pieces be removed from the rail? Is it a plastic corner with two tabs like the factory cover parts? The ford factory corners may work. I just had to buy two of those for my tonneau because one cracked. They come in packs of two and are $46CDN...
I will have to look and see if they are the same. They look like they slide out. I will see
Old 05-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Posting Guru

ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.
[quote=Still Smoking;7533992]Some one else said the samething on another site but I dont know how you can figure that. If the tailgate is up and no cover then the air comes over the cab and rolls down and hits the tailgate and acts as an air pocket. With the tailgate down the air keeps moving. With a cover the air hits it and there is nothing to block it. I have gotten a mile or two better with my tonneau cover. I get crappy gas mileage with it off thats why I wana get it fixed asap. I just went back to work and driving 90 miles a day. Its like driving with the windows down going down the freeway you get worse mileage than driving with the windows up and the A/C on.

Without the tonneau it forms a bubble of air inside the bed and when cruising along, the aire just slides over the bubble. With the tonneau, you don't get the bubble. Same with the tailgate down.

They tested it in a wind tunnel with the chalky air after noticing the mileage differences with normal driving. I'll find the link to the article.

I can't find the link I read. My googling isn't as good as it used to be I guess. Enjoy the tonneau.

Last edited by ChargersFanInCO; 05-23-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: can't find link
Old 05-23-2009, 10:27 PM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.
sorry, got nothing to add in your parts search...but something you guys said caught my attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Smoking View Post
Its like driving with the windows down going down the freeway you get worse mileage than driving with the windows up and the A/C on.
not necessarily

if you have a free flow of air (all windows down, including the rear window), your wind turbulance is virtually nil.

My highway mileage was almost identical with or without A/C.
With A/C - windows up, temp set about 69F

Without A/C - all 5 windows down, moonroof open
the MPG's were almost identical, so I usually ran with A/C on...so I wouldn't have to be annoyed by wind noise, and the A/C is cooler

btw, Mythbusters did a thing on tonneau covers. Did real life driving and wind tunnel testing
found the tonneau cover to be virtually no help at all.

the wind tunnel testing was pretty solid, but their "Real Life Driving" was pretty sketchy.

basically they said any benefits of the tonneau were 100% negated by it's weight, and the air tumbling

for better MPG's, try taking your tailgate off...and removing the spare tire. That's a good 200+ lbs of wieght gone
Old 05-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Freshman User

dnorris80 is starting off with a positive reputation.
here is an article

Drag reducing partial tonneau for pickup truck - Patent 4573730

show a reduction in drag using a tonneau cover. does that translate into improved mpg? - probably depends on your view theoretical or real life. too many factors that can affect mpg
Old 05-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Elder User

Someone told me the samething about the mythebuster thing. But I have found driving at 60 mph without the tonneau cover I got anywhere from 12-14 mpg. Now doing the same driving with the tonneau cover on I get 14-16 mpg. Thats why I believe a tonneau cover is better. I have seen somewhere I forget where I seen it but it was a test to that showed air that would do a circular motion then drop into the bed and make the tailgate act as a sail. I will have to look for it. I dont it works for me on gas mileage so I guess thats all that matters. Also I always use the a/c cause I hate the wind noise but they say if you are on the freeway you get better mileage with the windows up and the a/c on. If you are driving 55 then the windows down are better. I dont know how a/c can effect the gas mileage really but thats what I have heard. I guess certain things work for certain people I guess.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Freshman User

dnorris80 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Still Smoking

Have you noticed that your truck handles better with a cover?
Old 05-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Elder User

No not really. Just mostly notice the difference in the gas tank
Old 05-24-2009, 03:47 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners

Tags
3308726040, 60, cover, drag, ford, length, masters, mph, open, partial, parts, rail, replacement, sport, tonneau, tonneu, truck