Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear drum brake adjustment

Old 05-24-2009, 08:36 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
There will be an oval rubber plug at the bottom of the backing plate.
You can pop that plug out to rotate the ratcheting star wheel.
Sometimes the threads of the adjuster get all gummed up with brake dust and it will no longer work as it should.

When replacing rear shoes sometimes the drum won't come off because they have worn and there is now a lip inside the drum that gets caught on the shoes.
You'll need to back off the adjuster for clearance.
Turn the drum on a brake lathe to remove this lip before installing new shoes. That way, you can roughly adjust before putting the drum on.

With the drums back on, apply the brake pedal a few times to center the shoes inside the drum. -Then- adjust until the drum starts to drag while you turn it by hand.

Tools are available that offer more clearance than a screwdriver.
They look like a double ended flat bladed screwdriver and are bent to clear the axle so you can lever on the adjuster opening.
We always called them Brake Spoons.
The one I have in my box that works best for my truck is a Snap-on B3404B.

Hope this helps....

Old 05-24-2009, 03:06 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,215 Likes on 798 Posts
Originally Posted by gthbryce
How do I properly adjust my rear drum brakes?
Only 50K miles on your truck? If that's the case, none of the springs or the star wheel adjucter should be worn out.

Get a Haynes manual and refer back to a couple of good posts here that you have been given in reference the correct tool, Brake Spoon and the use of jack stands for your personal safety.

I normally adjust mine until the wheel gives me a medium amount of resistance. You will also feel this in brake pedal.

Tim

Old 08-11-2010, 05:18 PM
gring
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My star wheel adjusters are like new and the adjustment is working. But the adjusment is so tight that the wheels get too hot. I want to disable the automatic adjustment. I will adjust them manually when the pedal travel will be too long. How can I disable it ? Simply removing the small cable ? Is there any risk I am unawre of ?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 PM
bobbyjo9
Senior User
Originally Posted by gring
My star wheel adjusters are like new and the adjustment is working. But the adjusment is so tight that the wheels get too hot. I want to disable the automatic adjustment. I will adjust them manually when the pedal travel will be too long. How can I disable it ? Simply removing the small cable ? Is there any risk I am unawre of ?
Thats not right. sounds like you have a problem and overriding the self adjust not the best solution.... or even 1 I would try

Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
I'll agree the the self adjusters do not always work. That may be how they are designed but you sometimes need to adjust them yourself. You will need to adjust them when installing new shoes. The adjusters did not work at all on our 65 Mustang when it still had 4 wheel drums. It has disc now so thats not an issue anymore.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 PM
goodB0Y
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I cant ever recall hearing of drum brakes over adjusting them selves... Although I have see many people install brakes incorrectly... shoes in the wrong position, cables and springs installed wrong... all with different outcomes.... no brakes, poor brakes... brakes that are too tight

why do you think the brakes are getting too hot?

brake drums and brakes in general get very hot! with light use down a hill with no load on your truck you probably wouldn't be able to place your hand on the wheel or drum with out getting burnt! its normal for brakes to get hot.

The result of brakes overheating or getting too hot is you'll lose braking ability...

A quick test would be to jack up the vehicle... place jack stands and wheel blocks... put the vehicle in neutral and see if you can spin the wheel. Properly adjusted brakes will have a slight (very slight) drag while spinning the wheel by hand

bobby is right and I would never consider removing the adjuster cable... although I do not believe it to be dangerous to do if it is not an integral part of the rest of the brakes. All drum brakes are different and I cant recall if the cable also serves another purpose.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 PM
gring
Freshman User
I kept the automatic adjustment on my dually F350

Well, I removed wheels and drum to check if all was OK. As the brakes were stuck on one wheel, I had to back up the theeted wheel to remove the drum. All seemed OK : no rusted part, no broken spring. I put back everything in place. There is no dragging now. I will keep an eye on that wheel. Thank you for your comments.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:06 AM
Debbie Donlan
New User
mechanic said he had to take apart and clean up star wheel to make adjustments to brake now the drag so bad my mileage is going to suck It was working great before I took it to him, I thought it was the wheel bearing heating up the rims, he greased them and put on new calipers and took apart rear brakes to inspect. said everything was good in bearing and back breaks but the star wheel which he fixed. It feels like an elephant is holding on to my back bumper now, following slowly, and of course, the wheel is still heating up on just one side. no burning smell ever just heat and vibration, now just heat on right side and pulls horribly to the left when one lets go of the wheel.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:19 AM
Debbie Donlan
New User
Now I'm sick to my stomach. Husband made me take it to his friend the so called professional , told him to do the brakes, after I told him when he did the hubs I had to redo them because until I did they were clunking bad. Now I'm not sure what he did but they are not right.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:31 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
You'll have to take it somewhere to be looked at that knows what's what, it won't get better and in fact can cause even worse problems. I don't know what else to tell you. Labor or shop rates are expensive so lots of folks try to save money where they can, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:20 AM
F150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Debbie Donlan
mechanic said he had to take apart and clean up star wheel to make adjustments to brake now the drag so bad my mileage is going to suck
1) What year and model vehicle is this?

2) Are you saying the problem is the rear brakes and if so which side?

3) Did this problem begin after new rear brake shoes were installed?

Block the front wheels so they can't move. Jack up the rear wheel you say is dragging. Place the transmission in neutral. You should be able to rotate the wheel with minimal resistance.

If there is excessive resistance pull the drum off and see if the drag goes away. If it does either the star wheel needs to backed off, the brake shoes are not installed properly (if new brake shoes were installed) or the parking brake cable on that side is not completely releasing.

Over time crud gets into the parking cable lining and the cable sticks which causes the brake shoes to drag. At highway speeds you may fell a vibration until you slow down.

Here's a picture of a drum brake assembly. Note the Primary show has less lining material and must be installed facing towards the front of the vehicle.

Name:  brake_zpstnul87fg.jpg
Views: 40528
Size:  72.5 KB

Old 05-30-2021, 03:38 PM
BECKER_EXPLOSION
New User
Originally Posted by quicklook2
that is not self adjusting, that is assisted adjusting.

i have found that maybe they worked when new but over time they do not self adjust anymore.
Originally Posted by F150xlt
Ford documentation refers to the rear brake adjustment as automatic.

There is no control of the adjustment. Ir's automatically done as the brake shoe lining wears down.

Attachment 204221
it seems like you are not going to listen to any other opinion that is different then your own.

good luck with that.
Look in a mirror and you'll see what the problem is. Oh wait you can't see your ego.

You made a statement about the terminology used about how the rear brakes adjusted. I provided information from the Factory Shop manual indicating the term is called automatic and not assisted. You never responded other than saying I have a one track mind.
whatever.

when these trucks were new, and serviced by ford under warranty, then maybe the rear brakes were serviced correctly.

i find that the rear brakes are often overlooked and the self adjusters do not work correctly anymore.

surely some others have had problems with the self adjusters not working.

lastly, i could care less if you read my posts or like what i say.

QL2
Your response to this post has added nothing in helping answer the original posters question.

Here is one of your responses.

Wrong!

So why don't you tell everyone what the fix is? As I mentioned, if the rear brakes don't automatically adjust they need to be fixed. I gave a simple explanation on how they self adjust. What useful information have you provided?
You guys are idiots.Great job being a couple of ******* kids when someone is asking for help.

Old 05-30-2021, 04:34 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,061 Posts
Originally Posted by BECKER_EXPLOSION
You guys are idiots.Great job being a couple of ******* kids when someone is asking for help.
I agree that they were less than helpful but F150xlt hasn’t been active here since Sept 2016 and quicklook2 hasn’t since Dec 2011 so your complaint is not going to be heard by them. The last post in this thread was almost five years ago.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:39 PM
BECKER_EXPLOSION
New User
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
I agree that they were less than helpful but F150xlt hasn’t been active here since Sept 2016 and quicklook2 hasn’t since Dec 2011 so your complaint is not going to be heard by them. The last post in this thread was almost five years ago.
yea i just noticed that.i was in a kind of pissy mood already and their little quarrel just fueled the fire.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:13 AM
Guitarjohnny
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You ARE correct! Seems some people don't understand if the system isn't working it's BROKE and needs repair. I once knew a guy who had a coat hanger for throttle linkage, go figure!