6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van
View Poll Results: if you have used HSS did it work as it is claimed to work?
yes
20.78%
no
25.97%
cant tell
53.25%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

hot shot secret

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:23 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
honestly I think its going pretty well so far...lets keep it going guys!

Old 05-27-2009, 05:01 PM
ash289
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only had product in truck (2005 F250 6.0) about 3000 miles & yes along with Rotella synthetic. (I'm probably switching to AMSOIL next but that's a whole nother discussion thread.)
93K total miles on the truck.
I voted "can't tell" but will continue using HSS.
Positive comments elsewhere on this forum were sufficient to send me to LS as preventative maintenance.
I will look forward to measurable evidence in the future and hope that this discussion will motivate LS to come forward with a bit more.
I will also have my oil tested in another 2000 miles.

I will also have the oil tested in the mini bus that I drive at work each weekend. It has no additive and no synthetic oil. It is a 2004 6.0 with about 35K. BTW - It is on its 3rd turbo! 2nd one was a rebuild of the first, 3rd one was a new one less than 6 months later.

I can't help but think this open discussion has been productive. Yes, it's a poll but the discussion is needed.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:26 PM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the email also

Old 05-28-2009, 02:59 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have noticed using products as a preventative measure puts people at more of a "disadvantage" in polls like this.

Let me explain what I mean. You have a truck that isn't showing any signs of issues that the owner knows of and they start to use a product and nothing good or bad comes after using the product for awhile. Product could be doing it's job and keeping things at bay or there was nothing to worry about in the first place and it's more of a placebo effect for the owner(nothing wrong with that at all, I've done my share of that as well). Unfortunately, with this scenerio how do you know if the product is any good? I mean truly know, not just "you" believe it works.

Now, those like KRDiesel, who have had issues and issues being cleared out timed well with the use of the product add a little more substance to the product, even more so if all other variables that could have aided in the resolution of the issue were able to be eliminated. I spent way to much time in a science field doing research.

It's just hard to make a judgment on those that use it as a preventative measure, not saying it's wrong, it's just hard to make a final judgment on the product and that's being reflected here I believe.

All in all, it's turning out to be an informative informal poll and surprisingly held up fairly well considering the polar opinions on the subject.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:01 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
well seeing as how the past threads have gone about this topic and how the moderators like to jump all over people that are trying to express thier opinions, I thought a poll would be a good way for this to be observed, and also that is why I made it anonamous.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:01 PM
BobsF350
Elder User
50.00 for 1/2 gallon is high to high for me.I got some when i thought i had a problem and found it was w electrical issue after ordering HSS.I used it didnt think it could hurt.I would use it every oil change or every other if it were more like 50.00 a gallon.Would like to see it $25.00-50.00 a gallon

at that price they would sell to almost everyone and not the few.

Last edited by Maxium4x4; 05-28-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate joke
Old 05-30-2009, 08:54 AM
supertruck60
Junior User
response and additionals

Hey all,

I want to thank you all for participating in this discussion. I had to consult with Chris to get answers to some of your questions. So here goes. First off Chris is on vacation with his wife and 6 kids. They have been driving across the country in an RV. Right now they are in California in the desert. Otherwise he would be glad to jump in here.

Hot Shot's Secret is a product made of detergents and dispersants. Running it in the 6.0 liter will only clean it out whether one sees the difference or not. It does what it was designed to do.

My job at Lubrication Specialties is to help Chris get the word out about this product because he asked me. I am not a lubrication engineer as you have guessed. I try to help Chris by covering most of the easy stuff and I call him for the hard issues. Every day we get calls from people who say that they have just replaced 3 or 4 injectors and they wished that they had heard about us first. So, to those of you who think we are beating this to death I can confidently tell you that we are not.

Next, I want to say that we have been 100% transparent about everything that goes on. We did develop and formulate this product for Navistar and they did test it for 2 years and found it to be safe and effective. Someday I hope to see it in their dealerships. Until then we are selling it directly to the consumer. I wish I could get the cost to $20 a bottle. As soon as it can be done it will. Until then it is still the best bargain on the internet.

Beach- you asked "I was not aware that oil shearing caused oil deposits? Please explain???" I talked to Chris and I will try to explain what he said. Oil is Carbon and Hydrogen. Each Carbon chain can hold 4 hydrogen molecules. Oil shear is caused by 2 actions: one, the breaking of these Carbon chains. The Hydrogen is then released and the Carbon is left as a deposit. Two, Motor oil has two additives in it to control viscosity. One is to make it thicker when it gets hot and one is to make it thinner when it gets cold. Beach addressed the additive that makes it thicker when it is hot, "VI Improver". These are like rubber. They expand when they get hot. They also shear over time. The other is a pour point suppressant, not unlike the one you put in your fuel. This is to make the oil thinner in the winter time. Thus the designation "w" as in 15w40. So a 15w40 doesn't start with a 15 weight oil. More likely, it would start with a 25 weight oil and a pour point suppressant would take it down to a 15 weight and a VI improver would take it up to a 40 weight. As the oil shears three things happen. 1 the oil starts to break apart. The Carbon and Hydrogen break leaving Carbon buildup behind. 2. The VI improvers fail leaving residue behind. 3. The additives in the oil start to burn leaving behind residue. All three of these actions lead to stiction. This is what HSS was made to clean up.

As many on this forum and others have noted synthetics do better than conventional oils. This is logical because synthetics have a higher shear and oxidation point. That is why we had the Blue Diamond Engine Oil formulated. It has an extremely high shear capability. Today's synthetic oils are merely cleaned up dino oils. A true PAO synthetic oil is hard to come by. Blue Diamond is a 12 Carbon Chain Synthetic oil that can last a long time before breaking apart. I don't want to launch into a commercial for Blue Diamond but I will say that just one gallon of Blue Diamond blended with your favorite engine oil is better than any synthetic that you can buy.

Lubrication Specialties Inc is a small company dedicated to offering the best products available at the best prices that we can. Those of you that are trying to find the "fly in the ointment" we welcome you, even though you are wearing us out. The truth is that customers are always calling us and telling us how much they appreciate what we are doing. We have saved our customers literally many 1000s of dollars. We have oil analysis on all our products. They will be posted as soon as we can get them up.

Tex, I do appreciate all of your due diligence. We are glad to make available all of the information that we have. If you ever want to go over all of the data let me know and I will set up an appointment with Chris so you can see and understand everything Lubrication Specialties is doing.

And to our customers who are out here giving your testimony and kind words, we really do appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Dan

Old 05-30-2009, 11:27 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by supertruck60
Tex, I do appreciate all of your due diligence. We are glad to make available all of the information that we have. If you ever want to go over all of the data let me know and I will set up an appointment with Chris so you can see and understand everything Lubrication Specialties is doing.
I do appreciate that and when things slow down towards the end of summer I'll definately take you up that offer. I'm a scatter brain once show season is in full swing, so I'll wait til I actually can think about other things, but I'll definately take you up on that.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Chris Gabe
Former Vendor
****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CTammy%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoh tml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:SimSun; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-alt:宋体; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 135135232 16 0 262145 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@SimSun"; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 135135232 16 0 262145 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Hey everyone, I just got back from our vacation. It was great. I just read all 5 pages. Thanks for all your contributions. I love these forums. They are packed full of information. They take forever to read through but they are great. I will be available to answer any questions.
<o> </o>
A couple things I don't think got addressed or might need attention to help understand all the dynamics of HSS:
Hot Shot's Secret was developed for the 6.0 but works in all diesels. They all have the same problem it is just more pronounced in the 6.0.

The other products we offer are used on all types of diesel equipment. I used testing from the 7.3 liter because that's what I had. I do not have any 6.0 users going 60-70k on an oil change yet. I have people using the oil and the filter they just haven't been able to put the miles on yet.

We are not trying to scam anyone with any of our products. Just the opposite. We have great products at great prices. The whole 6.0 area is somewhat new to me. I was called by International Truck an Engine in November of 2004 because they were having problems with the 6.0 injectors and wanted to know if an additive could clear it up. That is when I was brought into the 6.0 world. After working with International I started to understand the root problems with the 6.0, at least on the oil side, and started adding products I new would fix them.

I believe the oil is shearing only in the injector itself. The total oil temperature in the whole system isn't getting high, just the temperature at the surface in the injector.

The HSS a combination of additives made to clean up the inside of the engine. I cannot say definitively but there is probably 3x more additives in one bottle of HSS than you have in a whole oil change. Synthetic oils will help prevent the problem but it will not clear it up. If you read these threads you can see that's the case.

The product was tested by International Truck and Engine. It was found to be safe and effective. I am trying to get the cost down. I am also working on distributors. So far all of the retail people have told me the cost is too high. I didn't put enough markup on the product therefore they cannot make enough profit. I would also have to remove the money back guarantee. They also need more marketing behind it.

So, I am working on getting the product cost down and we are going to start billboard and radio advertising. Unfortunately when it comes to stuff like this I am a like a fish out of water. I am better on the engineering side than the marketing side.
<o> </o>
In short, HSS will clean up the inside. The Blue Diamond Engine Oil will never shear. If you use a bypass filter with it you can leave the Blue Diamond in for a long time. All this should be checked with oil analysis. It’s all pretty basic when you think about it. Clean up the system, put in a better grade of oil, keep the oil clean and monitor it.
<o> </o>
Again thanks for all your time.
<o> </o>
Chris

Old 06-09-2009, 09:27 PM
mwberg
New User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chris Gabe
****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CTammy%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoh tml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:SimSun; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-alt:宋体; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 135135232 16 0 262145 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@SimSun"; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 135135232 16 0 262145 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Hey everyone, I just got back from our vacation. It was great. I just read all 5 pages. Thanks for all your contributions. I love these forums. They are packed full of information. They take forever to read through but they are great. I will be available to answer any questions.
<o>> </o>>
A couple things I don't think got addressed or might need attention to help understand all the dynamics of HSS:
Hot Shot's Secret was developed for the 6.0 but works in all diesels. They all have the same problem it is just more pronounced in the 6.0.

The other products we offer are used on all types of diesel equipment. I used testing from the 7.3 liter because that's what I had. I do not have any 6.0 users going 60-70k on an oil change yet. I have people using the oil and the filter they just haven't been able to put the miles on yet.

We are not trying to scam anyone with any of our products. Just the opposite. We have great products at great prices. The whole 6.0 area is somewhat new to me. I was called by International Truck an Engine in November of 2004 because they were having problems with the 6.0 injectors and wanted to know if an additive could clear it up. That is when I was brought into the 6.0 world. After working with International I started to understand the root problems with the 6.0, at least on the oil side, and started adding products I new would fix them.

I believe the oil is shearing only in the injector itself. The total oil temperature in the whole system isn't getting high, just the temperature at the surface in the injector.

The HSS a combination of additives made to clean up the inside of the engine. I cannot say definitively but there is probably 3x more additives in one bottle of HSS than you have in a whole oil change. Synthetic oils will help prevent the problem but it will not clear it up. If you read these threads you can see that's the case.

The product was tested by International Truck and Engine. It was found to be safe and effective. I am trying to get the cost down. I am also working on distributors. So far all of the retail people have told me the cost is too high. I didn't put enough markup on the product therefore they cannot make enough profit. I would also have to remove the money back guarantee. They also need more marketing behind it.

So, I am working on getting the product cost down and we are going to start billboard and radio advertising. Unfortunately when it comes to stuff like this I am a like a fish out of water. I am better on the engineering side than the marketing side.
<o>> </o>>
In short, HSS will clean up the inside. The Blue Diamond Engine Oil will never shear. If you use a bypass filter with it you can leave the Blue Diamond in for a long time. All this should be checked with oil analysis. It’s all pretty basic when you think about it. Clean up the system, put in a better grade of oil, keep the oil clean and monitor it.
<o>> </o>>
Again thanks for all your time.
<o>> </o>>
Chris
Hey, I am not an engineer, chemist, or salesman (could not sell ice cubes in hell), all I know is that the Ford dealer said I had to replace several failing injectors out of warranty at 105,000 miles. Used the HSS additive and it fixed the problem. If you have ever had to pay for even 1 injector, I think even at $200 for a 2 qt bottle would be a great deal. I was not sure before I used it, now I suggest to anyone with the 6.0 that has stiction symptoms. No one has given me negative feedback. Enough said. And Chris, a great big thank you to you. Michael W Berg, Boise, ID

Old 06-09-2009, 09:42 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Chris a Couple of ?s for you.

I saw on the brochure about the oil analysis for the 7.3 that had the big oil reservoir and y'alls blue diamond oil. Here are the questions:

1. How does the Blue Diamond hold up with the Heui injectors? From what I've read, researched and have been told is that these injectors are harder on oil then what you would find on the 7.3 which you have an oil analysis on. Giving that those injectors are harder that would in turn mean that the oil that you put in there would go thru more hell then what was tested on the 7.3. Do you have any oil analysis for the 6.0?

2. If you do have oil analysis for the 6.0, do you happen to have it for someone that is running your blue diamond straight w/o the bigger tank? The reason I want to know without the bigger reservoir is so I would have an easier way of comparing how y'alls synthetic stacks up the Mobil 1 that I do use. Having that bigger reservoir puts a little bit of an unfair advantage for y'alls product and it makes it harder for me to compare it to what my setup is(and what I'm sure the majority of people would have) as I don't intend to upgrade that part of the truck especially since my oil analysis has always come back very good, but if there is a better product I'm all for it, I just want to see equal comparisons.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Chris Gabe
Former Vendor
Tex,
I have 6.0 people using the Blue Diamond. I have users with the bypass and without it. I don't have oil analysis yet. They haven't been using it long enough. I should be getting some in over the next 6 months. The Blue Diamond is like a much higher grade of oil than the Mobil. I am not just saying that because we sell it. If you call Mobil and ask them if a 100% PAO oil with a 14 TBN is better than the Mobil 1 they will tell you YES. I have several Mobil Jobbers that are customers of mine and we have compared the specs. This is not a slam on Mobil. They are making a product for the masses. They couldn't sell product on the shelf at Autozone for $35/gallon. Shell would come out with a "full synthetic" for $28/gallon and everyone would buy that. My point is that this is a custom blended product, made for the heaviest applications. I honestly don't believe that you could wear it out in a million miles. It will get dirty which is why you need a bypass if you are going to extend the drain and the additives will be depleted in 50K but the oil will still be in good shape. It will test just like the day you put it in.

As long as you change your oil in short intervals like 3500-5000 miles you most likely will not have a problem. If you need to go beyond that a semi-synthetic like Mobil will get you 7500-10000 safely. If you need more or you just want the best Blue Diamond is the way to go. I would advocate that using 1 gallon of Blue Diamond with regular Mobil would give you better results than the the Mobil 1. I haven't gotten an oil analysis on it yet but several customers are doing that, so we should have results soon.

Chris

Old 06-11-2009, 10:50 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
well im guessing that you have customers with 6.0's that have 5,00 miles or even 10,000 miles on the oil, I would think you guys would be willing to pay for an UOA and post the results in a post to show us 6.0 guys the real deal, we love proof!!! there must be some customers that are/aren't running bypass systems with the blue diamond oil???Im just guessing since its so good, If I was trying to get a point accross I would post some results ASAP!

Old 06-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Sark
Senior User
Question

I changed my oil, put in "Hot Shot Secret" (full dosage) & just got back from a 6,000+ mile trip towing our 37 ft. 1/5 whl.

"Not one ounce of difference that I could tell."

I thought that the MPG was down from what I usually get towing. I was JUST getting 10.0 (calc'd). I usually get 10.5 to 13.0 (calc'd) towing & that's been in the Western States. This trip took us to Atlanta & back.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:41 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sark
I thought that the MPG was down from what I usually get towing. I was JUST getting 10.0 (calc'd). I usually get 10.5 to 13.0 (calc'd) towing & that's been in the Western States. This trip took us to Atlanta & back.
Mileage is a tricky and finicky thing at times. Too many variables involved in the "calculation" of mileage and that is one principle reason why I don't really pay much attention to people with mpg claims(no offense to people that give them, I just have yet to get what other people have "claimed" to get, so I just ignore them).

I don't know if you can attribute that lose of mpg to the use of HSS alone, it certainly could have been a factor, but just about anything that you dealt with on that trip could have been a factor as well.

Quick Reply: hot shot secret