6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van
View Poll Results: if you have used HSS did it work as it is claimed to work?
yes
20.78%
no
25.97%
cant tell
53.25%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

hot shot secret

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:06 PM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes you are correct, it is a "weight formula". It gives you a ball park, regulators go through formal training and cert, then there readings will stand up in court. I am not that good though.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:31 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaskew
I use Rotella Synth 5w-40. Two Winters ago there were a couple of cold mornings in the upper 20's and the truck ran rough on start up for just a few minutes then cleared up. I ran a full dose of HSS that summer for approx 5,000 miles and this past Winter there were a few mornings with temps in the 20's and I had zero issues. The initial cold start issues, in my opinion, were very minimal. I didn't see any fuel mileage gain. I will be ordering another bottle for the next oil change to run as preventitive maintenance. Do you know what is so great about this Country? Everyone has a right to an opinion; Slowmans... stand behind your argument. Dan... keep on advertising, I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here that are not annoyed! In my opinion, HSS will sell itself. Tex, without you this forum would be boring (my opinion...of course). Oh, I voted "Yes".
You my friend are a perfect example!!!! I remember you asking about HSS when you where having issues and I belive you where told if you ran it and switched to a synthetic oil you would see some better cold weather starting?..... I could have saved you the hundred bucks and just told you to switch to syn oil!!!! These guys push there product and recomend people to switch to a 5-40 syn oil and claim by doing so your issues should be helped by the 2... my stance is switch to the 5-40 oil and I bet you'll be in a differnt boat! And 100 bucks richer, then if that doesnt work then waste the 100 bucks/////////

Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Well I've run synthetic oil since 12k or so in the 05 . Still had the stiction issues at about 40k. The product has eliminated it.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 PM
mwberg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hss

I had injector issues and the additive worked for me. Also made the turbo spool up faster. No change in the type of oil I was using. Ford said I had 4 borderline injectors-so I tried the additive. Two years later no injector replacements and it runs great.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:57 PM
shaneadams
Freshman User
I used it this winter and noticed a definite improvement on cold starts but no magic bullet, still a long time to spin the turbo and still pretty rough starts with white smoke. It was close to the end of the cold season when I changed the oil. Was just coming up on the next change and planned to use another treatment and the real problem came home to roost. Oil cooler seperated, mixed the water and oil, blew the turbo 300 miles from home pulling a trailer. $4K and 4 weeks later I had a new turbo, new egr, new oil cooler, clean egr baffle, fresh code on the ecm, and a new y-pipe under the turbo (old one had a hole for who knows how long). During the repair the mechanic called me and was shocked that with all the things wrong with the truck every injector tested 100% pressure and the truck has 165K miles on it. For injectors that are $600+ each that sold me on the $50 or so for HSS (so I voted yes). I will switch to Synthetic for the rest of the trucks life and that may keep me out of trouble but I won't think twice about a treatment 30K or so miles from now.

I would like to say I also used the NT additive in the tranny and it was immediately quieter.

Next winter I'll know if the HSS did the trick on the cold starts but it will have to get credit with the turbo/egr/oil cooler and ecm flash repair.

BTW, Tex and KR I tried using the Pearson's Square stuff on my wife to see how much she should eat and now I have a black eye, thanks guys.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:00 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneadams
BTW, Tex and KR I tried using the Pearson's Square stuff on my wife to see how much she should eat and now I have a black eye, thanks guys.
I'm just here to help.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Rob.D
Elder User
I placed a vote for Can't tell. I'm having no issues but am currently using it as a preventive measure. I'm at 25,000 on the odometer.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 AM
BeanJuice
New User
I put it in my 6oh with the typical injector type issues. The current issue is/was the engine would miss on random cylinders above about 1800-2000RPM until it was totally warm/hot.

When I first put the HSS in with the fresh oil during a change, and let it idle for 15-20 minutes. Went for a drive, and after a few miles(I figure long enough for the HPOP to start geting the new oil/HSS) it started running horrible and missing on it seemd like MOST cylinders. Barely limped back home. Next morning fired er up and let it idle for 30-45 minutes then went for a long drive, and slowly it got better until after about 80 -100 miles it was at least driveable. Seriously considered changing oil, but thought I would tuff it out a while longer. Now I'm up to about 400-500 miles and the engine is just now back to where it was before the HSS. Except now it's the opposite. It misses on 1 or 2 BELOW 2000RPM until it's really warm/hot then runs as before. Trying to decide whether to run it for the entire 5000 miles or change now and check into the money back offer.

Oh, and I'm not trolling or trying to start anything. I received an eMail from a "Windy" at HSS asking me to participate in this survey.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:54 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by beanjuice
i received an email from a "windy" at hss asking me to participate in this survey.
How about that...

Old 05-27-2009, 12:07 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
How about that...
They sent it out to all their customers, I got one too. Actually, I'm impressed they asked people to vote, because if they were scamming people they wouldn't want customers to post their experiences.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:10 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by cartmanea
They sent it out to all their customers, I got one too. Actually, I'm impressed they asked people to vote, because if they were scamming people they wouldn't want customers to post their experiences.
I'm glad you spoke up and said you got one also.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:33 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
I voted a few days before getting the email though, I think I was either 1st or 2nd to vote.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:04 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is the thing. As of 1 today, we have 13 votes YES, 13 No, and 25 Can't Tell. I split the Can't Tell 50/50 and we are at a push, and it's been a relative push thru the whole posting process.

It's still up in the air as to what this product can do. The negative side to going by a poll such as this, "we" don't know why people voted YES or NO for the most part and their votes might actually be the other way around or another vote entirely depending on their individual circumstance.

It's the best the we have at this point, but the "proof" that this poll gives is still not conclusive, especially considering how the voting has been going so far.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:13 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Well Tex, I think any product is going to be a push. Part of the problem is people buy this to treat injector issues, but their issues could be caused be coking/buildup (stiction) or it could be caused be injector wear due to low lubricity. The latter of the two is not treatable with an oil additive, so that can contribute to the "didn't help" votes.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:31 PM
88stang1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rob.D
I placed a vote for Can't tell. I'm having no issues but am currently using it as a preventive measure. I'm at 25,000 on the odometer.
I am also using it as a PM and voted Can't tell.

Quick Reply: hot shot secret