1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIRES - Toyo OC M/T vs Procomp Xtreme A/T vs others

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TIRES - Toyo OC M/T vs Procomp Xtreme A/T vs others

I am looking for some bigger tires now that I have done my levelling kit. Probably go with 35/12.5/18 or the 325/65/18 (from the tire specs these are 13" wide and same hiight). The recommendation is an 8.5" minimum rim width for the 12.5 and a 9" minimum for the 13". I would feel better with the 12.5's given this would only be out a half inch vs an inch on minimum width recommendations. I have heard rave reviews about the Toyo Open Country M/T and some good stuff about the Procomp Xtreme A/T. Both look 'meaty'. The truck is mostly highway, but need an E rated tire. I was wanting to try the new Goodyear Duratrac but this sizing has not been built yet. I alos looked at Cooper Discovery SST. I didnt want another set of BFG A/T - for some reason they have been wearing out to quickly on my brother's truck, our employee's truck and a few others around here ( they all drive a bit more gravel than I do thiough!)
Any input?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:30 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
I run the 35x12.5 Xtreme ATs on an 18x8.5 Weld wheel. The tires have a great tread pattern, are fairly quiet on the HWY and have balanced rather easily on these wheels. I wanted to stay with an E rated tire for towing, I run these at 60-57PSI for a great ride. Any pressure more than 60 makes the ride harsh. Less than 55 the ride is soft, like a passenger car ride.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:53 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think both those tires are also available in a 285/75/18 which is a 35x11.50 and will fit on those wheels well. Some also list a 35x12.50 as 305/70/18. Try not to go too wide for your wheels or the center will wear out and it will feel unstable, too much side role in corners.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 PM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Darn, this tire shopping is tough!!!

I looked at lots today - Toyo Open Country MT and AT, Procomp Xtreme AT, Cooper STT, BFG AT and MT, Kelly, Nitto, Hancook, Kumho

The tire I want is somewhere between an AT and a MT. The Procomp AT's have a blocky tread design that makes them look very meaty for an AT, most other AT's dont look aggressive enough for my tastes. That being said, I am not going to fool myself and will acknowledge that most MT's are too blocky to run quiet and deliver the wear I expect. The Toyo MT sounds like the one exception to this as its maybe not quite as much of a mud tire as the others?

I feel the two tires mentioned both are in the gap between the two 'traditional' categories of AT and MT, one from either end of the spectrum!
Am I correct in my thinking?

Old 05-23-2009, 02:48 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Look at the price difference between the Toyos and ProComps, that's what helped push me to the Xtreme ATs for my next tire.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:55 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
I am not sure but the Procomp seem quite pricey where I live. I am not sure if its because the company that was distributing them (Remington) no longer exists here in Canada. With the Toyo, there must be a couple different chains of supply from distributor <> retail because I have never seen such a price spread. This is for 35 12.5 18 tires installed and balanced --- seeing prices from $422 to $570 CDN for the Toyo and $400 to $425 CDN for the Procomp.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:11 AM
varanus
New User
i have the toyo oc at's on my truck and they are a good tire. but if your lookin for something a little more meaty check out the mickey thompson mzt's i have had 2 pairs on various vehicles and swearby them.. nice soft humm on the hwy not annoying at all, amazing traction on all surfaces, excellent price compared to toyos and last longer then toyos. plus not everybody with a transfer case has them. check them out.. wicked tires

Old 05-23-2009, 11:12 AM
cwearmout
New User
I run 35/12.5/20 Toyo MT's on my 07 F350, I run alot of mud and gravel. The tires are awesome in the mud and look pretty cool but I find that they are getting pretty chewed up. I paid $2400 for the four of them so I'm not sure if i would choose them again. I do need 10 ply tires but since I only average 20 000 miles to a set I'm most likely going to go with Mickey T's or something similar for next time.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:13 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LaredoF350

I looked at lots today - Toyo Open Country MT and AT, Procomp Xtreme AT, Cooper STT, BFG AT and MT, Kelly, Nitto, Hancook, Kumho

The tire I want is somewhere between an AT and a MT. The Procomp AT's have a blocky tread design that makes them look very meaty for an AT, most other AT's dont look aggressive enough for my tastes. That being said, I am not going to fool myself and will acknowledge that most MT's are too blocky to run quiet and deliver the wear I expect. The Toyo MT sounds like the one exception to this as its maybe not quite as much of a mud tire as the others?

I feel the two tires mentioned both are in the gap between the two 'traditional' categories of AT and MT, one from either end of the spectrum!
The Xtreme A/T definately fits the bill of a "hybird" type M/T A/T tire. I ran a set for 60K and could not of been happier.

Another possibility for a aggressive A/T would be Mickey Thompson ATZ in the 305/70R18 size which is equivilant to a 35X12.50R18. Dick Cepek F-C II in 305/70R18 is also a fairly agressive A/T.

FYI... Pro Comp, Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek are all brands of Cooper Tire...

Old 05-23-2009, 02:10 PM
EPI-911
Senior User
I ran the Toyo O/C on my excursion after I picked up the Yok Geolanders. I at first loved the Geo's but they gave me horrible mileage after 30,000 miles i had to replace them. Suffice to say I have never been happier with any tire since jumping onto the Toyo wagon.

I have the Toyo's on my Crown Vic, my Mustang, and my Excursion. Wont use anything else but Toyos. they look mean, great on the Hwy, Perfect for Towing and they still get great fuel economy.

My vote is Toyo's. Plus they give you a 30 Day trial if your not happy with them they will take them back... At least they do here in Canada.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:25 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
If Toyo offered a 37x12.50 I'd be all over them, but they don't, so I'm going ProComp.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:08 AM
freekyFX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by LaredoF350

You may want to look at the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ tires. I had them and they were awesome. They are more aggressive than most AT tires, with large side lugs, but ride like an AT tire.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:21 PM
DAVE67FD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Nitto Terra Grapplers AT's are getting great reviews. I picked up a set and am very pleased. Try the 295/70/18 E.

If you travel mostly highway/road's you may want to edge towards a AT tire. If you drive the vehicle in snow or rain the MT can be dangerous. Of coarse some MT's are better than others but be realistic with your choices . Even though the MT's "look" better they may not perform to your satisfaction.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:31 PM
rudedogii
Elder User
I dont know about you guys? But I would never put a Japanese tire on my Ford!
My dad, a Koren War Vet and son of Mexican immigrants always taught me to be proud of my country and buy made in USA!

Old 05-24-2009, 07:32 PM
rudedogii
Elder User
Bigger Tires!

I got got some new tires. I went from 38s to 40s. Here's some video of my 2000 F250.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIK-UMhnBnc

Quick Reply: TIRES - Toyo OC M/T vs Procomp Xtreme A/T vs others